Valve amp repair help please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rodrat, Apr 29, 2009.

1. rodrat

rodrat

I have an Emille 6550 integrated amp which has gone down on one channel. I have swopped the valves and the same channel stays down. Can anyone recommend a repairer in or as close to herts as possible. I will need to transport it myself as it weighs 35kg hence preferring a local ish service.

rodrat, Apr 29, 2009
  2. rodrat

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Is it still under warranty?

Purite Audio, Apr 29, 2009
  3. rodrat

rodrat

No, its not from the current range. Its about ten years old.

rodrat, Apr 29, 2009
  4. rodrat

zanash

have you dropped the bottom off it ....?

valve amps are pretty simple ...in that if a component dies due the high vltages it often pretty clear whats gone ....

assuming you've swapped the ic cables so thats not the issue ...?

zanash, May 2, 2009
  5. rodrat

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Careful with this advice. Valve amps have high voltages which can be lethal. Going into a valve amp if you don't know what you are doing can be very dangerous. One of the dangers is touching somehing accidentally.

Emile are imported by Anglesound who are based in Kings Langley might be worth giving them a call.

http://www.angelsoundaudio.co.uk/contact.html

Ther are dealers nearby that deal in valve amps, one of these may be able to help. Try Notewortheyaudio

http://www.noteworthyaudio.co.uk/Services.html

Also GTAudio may be worth a try as they are in Upper Denham.

http://www.gtaudio.com/serv_rep.html

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 4, 2009
  6. rodrat

rodrat

Thanks for the replies, As I can barely change a plug, a bit of diy is out. I have spoken to Angelsound who say they can sort it. I will drop it off next week.

rodrat, May 4, 2009
  7. rodrat

zanash

duh.......

if you don't know what your doing then don't do it .....

you are not suggesting that you have the unit plugged in whilst you investigate poking with a rusty nail ?

I allowed the questionaire the luxury of some intelligence perhaps I was being too optimistic ?

As this is the diy section it suggests a minimum level of competence.....ho hum

zanash, May 4, 2009
  8. rodrat

Sonusthree Coaxial Kid

A lot of inexperienced people would assume it safe to go inside a valve amp as long as it's not plugged in. Of course, with valve amps especially, very high voltages remain can stored in capacitors for quite some time and can be dangerous even when the unit is disconected from the mains supply.

Most experienced DIY'ers will know this but we all started somewhere. :)

Sonusthree, May 4, 2009
  9. rodrat

zanash

please don't preach to the converted .....

but yes ..the advice is good...but you missed the bit about safe discharge

any help given now needs five a4 pages of safety information ....
    that should cover lifting techniques in case you do your self a mischief whilst bending over to pick up that dropped screw driver or how to swat the wasp with a hot soldering iron ..[thats tongue in cheek..as humor tends not to come over well]

yes first timers need to start somewhere ...its called education and tends to come in the form of lots of background reading and talking to people in the know.

I repeat if you don't know what your doing leave it alone ....untill you understand the consequences of your actions.

............this is meant to be light hearted but reads a bit strong........

zanash, May 4, 2009
  10. rodrat

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Pete,

You can't assume that people whio own valve amps are dab hands at diy. Most people with valve amps will not go inside them.

If you don't know anything or very little about electronics, then so called obvious stuff to you & I may not register to them. People may not poke about with a rustly nail but taken the bottom of some thing may lead to someone poking a component and getting a shock. A lot of people are not aware that valve amps may store charge.

If you don't know if the poster has experience with electronics then caution should be applied.

This is not in the DIY section so more caution is needed.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 4, 2009
Ask a Question