Valve Help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by virkon, Oct 4, 2009.

1. virkon

virkon

Hi Guys I would appreciate a bit of help choosing between two valve amps. Always been solid state time for a change. A used Unison Research S6 (EL34) and a new Melody i880 (KT88) are both available to me for roughly the same price. Anyone have any experience of either?
    My speakers are Ruark Equinox, medium size room no party levels.
    Music...a bit of everything cd and vinyl. I understand the i880 has replaced the Astro Black 50 and is 35w Class A :confused:

virkon, Oct 4, 2009
  2. virkon

peez

the S6 is well regarded, as is the melody - the el34 is known as a midrange tube, i use them and like them very much, switched from my sugden a21ai to the rogue audio metis / atlas and pleased as punch.
    another to consider is the World designs kt88 based amp.
    P

peez, Oct 4, 2009
  3. virkon

Samantha

I auditioned the S6 (along with lots of other amps) when I was changing.

It was set in the 'possible' pile whilst most I listened to got returned straight back to the racks as not possibles.......
    I wasn't fully convinced though and at that point, I was prepared to leave without buying anything.
    Then the S8 came out and for me it was an almost instant decision and I didn't listen to the S6 again as the 8 was worth the extra cost.
    However, the S6 was the only amp that sat in the 'possible' pile. So I liked it enough to consider it, just didn't blow me away.

(This was at a dealer, all stock had been reduced significantly to sell off as was moving into AV)

Samantha, Oct 5, 2009
  4. virkon

Andy 831

At 87dB/1W/1m the Equinox`s will need some power to drive them properly. If your thinking valves I reckon you will be needing upwards of 35Watts and maybe even more. Its about driving the speaker and the dynamics it acheives rather than pure loudness

Andy 831, Oct 5, 2009
  5. virkon

Samantha

Not sure exactly how it works, but the S8 (much less than 35 watts) drove the SBLs I used to have much better than the Naim 180 I had before it.
    Meanwhile putting the S8 with some very high efficiency speakers and it sounded broken. It actually needs to run with some volume turned in and if you run with it only just off the bottom, doesn't work well at all.
    So although I have heard it often said that you need higher efficiency speakers with valves, I'm not sure it is always the case. The speakers I use are not high efficiency. However if you get chance to try with your speakers, that is obviously the best option.

Samantha, Oct 5, 2009
  6. virkon

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/297ruark/index2.html

from the above

" Its plot of impedance magnitude and phase (fig.1) reveals it to be a moderately easy load to drive. It only drops below 6 ohms, and then only by a little, in the lower midrange and mid-treble. "

You should be OK - on the basis of those measurements. I'd still say Andy is right that it may prefer a few extra watts, so somethign push-pull 30w+

bottleneck, Oct 5, 2009
  7. virkon

virkon

Having had a week with the S6 Peez your right about the el34 mid, superb! I had pretty much made my mind up. Then I put the Melody in and I think Andy 831 has a point. The Kt88's give the sound a bit more transparency and 'bite'. Now here's the confusing bit. The Melody manual says it is 35w Class A while the web site and a couple of very favourable reviews I found state it is 50w Class AB1. Could it be both?

virkon, Oct 5, 2009
  8. virkon

the_young_once budget-conscious

haven't any experience with KT88's but what I can say about EL34's, they are the bomb man, just upgraded from an EL34 based rig, to yes, another EL34 setup, the mids, the staging (of course i believe many other factors to influence this), kicks ass :MILD:

the_young_once, Oct 6, 2009
  9. virkon

vincula

I've got an Audio InnovationS A500, a 25 W class A EL-34 based amp, and I'm gobsmacked. I know the S6 very well. A very dynamic and punchy amp. Its 35 W in class A are quite deceiving, and sounds to more in real home environments. It'll go pretty loud! Lovely tone and huge soundstage, though design's a bit quirky. Not the most beautiful of the range, comparing with the stunning beauty of other Unison valve amps...

The S6's a livelier and more dynamic-sounding amp than the Melody, which is more of a peach. Great quality and sound in both cases, with a commandable attention to detail. You won't be dissapointed either way.

My advice is that if you're buying from a dealer, you must ask for a warranty of some kind. Valve amps are delicate pieces of kit. If not, have the amp checked by an expert before buying -or buy new for peace of mind.

I still think the S6 has the edge though:MILD:!

Regards,

Vincula

PS. Congrats in advance! One you get into valves, you'll never look back...

vincula, Oct 6, 2009
  10. virkon

virkon

Thanks for these comments all. Vincula if there's one thing I can make my mind up on, it's I am persuaded away from SS by both these amps. It could go down to which one looks best (to me) that would be the Melody. Thanks again.

virkon, Oct 6, 2009
  11. virkon

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Personally - I'd be taking the bottom off - looking for a nice simple layout and hard-wired.

Amps made in China often have overly elaborate PCB's in them, and are a right mare when they blow a resistor or similar.

...why can't more amps look like the inside of a Leak Stereo 20?

(which refurbished is a great little amp incidentally)

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Oct 6, 2009
  12. virkon

virkon

I know your all dying to know...I got the Melody. Fabulous!

virkon, Oct 16, 2009
  13. virkon

Dev Moderator

Pictures and first listening impressions?

Dev, Oct 16, 2009
  14. virkon

peez

yes, show us! congrats

peez, Oct 17, 2009
  15. virkon

virkon

I'll just get this run of 12hr shifts out of the way and i'll sort some pics. First impressions? The fit and finish leave nothing wanting. Balanced and single-ended inputs. What struck me was the lovely timbre and overall openness to the sound. Imagine (if you can, I had the benefit of both amps on demo) the S6 with a touch more transient bite but staying on the right side of aggressive. I am really pleased with my purchase and it's not run in yet. I am using it with Advantage S1 cd player, Pro-ject Perspective Ortofon 2m black, Pure Sound P10 phono and Ruark Equinox speakers. All cables Audioquest Emerald, Argent. Playing some Larry Coryell as I type. BLISS!!

virkon, Oct 17, 2009
  16. virkon

vincula

Lovely set-up you got yourself there, virkon. Congratulations :)! Nice music you're playing too. I've just won a couple of auctions on evilbay today, two SUT's, an AT 630 and a Denon AU310.
    Pretty sure you'd love to experiment with trannies too. Especially having a nice P10. Adding a nice SUT is simply the way to go!

Do enjoy the Melody(ies) :cool:

Regards,

Vincula

PS. Remember to upload some pics for the general rejoicement, and keep posting your listening impressions.

vincula, Oct 17, 2009
  17. virkon

virkon

Nice one Vincula will do. Watch this space..

virkon, Oct 18, 2009
  18. virkon

Samantha

Great you got to try them both at home with your kit - best way to decide. Get the one you like the best with your kit in your home. Beats any amount of internet advice. <thumbs up>

Samantha, Oct 19, 2009
Ask a Question