valve phono stage.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Baudrillard, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Hi

A lot of discussion about phono stages at the mo. Might as well join in with my own thread.

Looking for a VALVE phono stage to match a Sheltor 901. The cartridge is a touch lively on top so not looking for a bright or forward phono stage. But at same time not warm, either. Neutrality would be a plus. Here are the ones I'm aware of:

The EAR 834P is an obvious and excellent contender and can be cheapish s/h.

Apparently, the Artemis PH-1 is a benchmark valve product (neutral and extremely quiet) but a bit over budget at £2k new.

http://artemislabs.com/PH-1-vacuum-tube-phono-preamp.html

Next, the Cole from hifi supply in Hong Kong. This is seems to be well regarded but the LCR module cole version is currently unavailable, which leaves the great value standard version. Never heard either, though.

Finally, the Lector. Not listened to this but reckon it might be a bit on the warm side for my taste.

Any insights or suggestions appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
    Baudrillard, Jul 20, 2006
  2. Baudrillard

nando nando

hi, i am now trying the project tube box 2 and the tube box se,. so far so good impedance ajustement both m.m. m.c. witch i am comparing with my m.f. KW phono, very interesting. what else do you use for musical pleasure?.nando

nando, Jul 20, 2006
  3. Baudrillard

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A trip to the Emporium would allow you to try the Lector and (as a reference) Shindo and Viva phono stages.

A used 834p at circa £300 is the bargain it always has been, but I'm quietly confident the best valve phono stages out there will be better...... (but how much better?) - I've never had a wallet full enough to warrant finding out!

bottleneck, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Baudrillard

JackOTrades

Very interesting, Nando. The Project MC stage has never been praised much as far as I know, but that doesn't mean it isn't good...

Would love to find out the results of your experiments!

Cheers,
    Jack

JackOTrades, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Baudrillard

nando nando

hi jack, when i have finished you are welcome to try it or them yurself,regards,nando

nando, Jul 20, 2006
  6. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Good idea, although might be difficult to get a reliable impression on a system so different from my own.

Actually, I wish I had called this thread 'Impressions of the Cole', as I am really interested in it as a possible alternative to the 834P- being similarly priced.

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_cole.htm

The LCR Cole is currently unavailable so how is the standard Cole rated? What is it like tonally? Opinions of it from a few people would be grrrrrreat. :)

7. Baudrillard

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I use a (tweaked to the gills) diyhifisupply Basie pre-amp, and rate it very highly.

I got you-know-who to build it for me of course, or rather fix the complete bollocksed job I did of it.

I dont know of anybody here who has a Cole.. maybe someone might pipe up!

bottleneck, Jul 20, 2006
  8. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

:)

Cool. And while we wait, I think I'll just go outside to the garden and pipe up myself :MILD: Lovely evening out there!

9. Baudrillard

nando nando

anybody remembers the 70's phono stages,? so simple yet so great, when denon brought out their most famous m.c. still manufacturers started to make step ups , not at very expensive "hiper"prices yet i believe we all enjoyed our vynil , how ever times have gone to the past in a very different way "if you haven't got one of this" ahhh.

nando, Jul 20, 2006
  10. Baudrillard

Dik Dolan

Just to add more questions..... has anyone tried the k&k phonostage? There seem to be more temptations for vinyl playback toys than ever before.... good isn't it=)
    http://www.kandkaudio.com/phonostage.html

Dik Dolan, Jul 20, 2006
  11. Baudrillard

grivois

grivois, Jul 21, 2006
  12. Baudrillard

Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou, Jul 21, 2006
  13. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Interesting Icon model :)

Grivois, according to Brian, there is no indication when they will receive the LCR modules again- it could be quite a while. Not sure whether it's worth being patient for the LCR Cole or buying a standard version instead? How superior is the former?

Baudrillard, Jul 21, 2006
  14. Baudrillard

grivois

LCR Cole

Thorsten explains the differences in the link that I posted above. I haven't heard the LCR Cole yet!

grivois, Jul 21, 2006
  15. Baudrillard

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

If you're after valve phono stages, you should consider the following:

Bottlehead Phono
    Icon Audio/ Miing-Da
    ProJect Tubebox
    Eastern Electric Phonomax
    AudioValve Sunilda
    Lector Phonoamp
    Audio Research PH3SE
    Audio Research PH5
    Balanced Audio Technology VK-P5

I'm sure one of the above will fit your price/performance criteria. All excellent stages AFAIK. The PH5 is amazing btw - the bass man, the bass!!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jul 21, 2006
  16. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Thanks for the list DT. I might just leave the PH5, as the SME IV is already known for its bottom end and the Spacedeck isn't exactly 'thin' sounding either.

The VK-P5 looks interesting- but 10 tubes. That's a lot of glass!

Grivois, T only gave a technical explanation. I'm more interested in where the Cole sits on the fence tonally. :)

17. Baudrillard

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Somewhat in the middle, like most of designs. I tend not to go for any specific trickery, stunt bass etc. I'm after a neutral but realistic reproduction of the music and generally like realistic dynamics (as in uncompressed) and the ability to convey the emotion in the music..

The actual "el cheapo" the Cole has been derived from has been build by many people quite a few times and generally seems to be liked. It has been compared to many a design, commercial and DIY and held up very well.

From experience, unless you really like the sound of the EAR, the Cole with S&B TX-103's is likely a better choice. If you like the EAR Sound, stick to it....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 21, 2006
  18. Baudrillard

grivois

grivois, Jul 21, 2006
  19. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Thanks for that G.

T, just trying to understand the pricing on the Hong Kong webite. If you add the S&B TX-103 to the Standard Cole you have to add $480 to $418 (= $898)- that before any other upgrades?

Just to clarify, you can add the S&B TX-103 to the standard Cole but NOT to the LCR Cole, which only comes with the amorphous core stepup transformer :confused:

20. Baudrillard

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Yes.

It used to be possible to get the LCR Version with S&B 103's. Extrapolating, this would likely cost you $ US 1,900 FOB UK where you probably pay around 25% of that ($ 475) tax/duty.

So expect a landed cost around UK £ 1,280 for the maxxed out version. Equally, the most basic set with AM core MC Stepups would be around UK £ 415 landed cost.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 21, 2006
Ask a Question