valve phono stage.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Baudrillard, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

T, the LCR Cole (with Amorphous) is quite close in price to a fully maxed Standard (with S&B TX103). Which is best? :cool:

PS. pre amp is currently a Music First TVC.

Baudrillard, Jul 21, 2006
  2. Baudrillard

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Are these really designed to be used with valve phono stages?

Audio Research seem to recommend against it (then again, the PH5 is a moderate-gain stage, and ARC clearly have interests in promoting the "active" methodology...)

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jul 21, 2006
  3. Baudrillard

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi

Absolutely, though not neccessarily all kinds of valve phonostages. The output impedance should ideally be below 3Kohm.

The Cole's output stage I designed especially to be able to drive the S&B TVC without resort to negative feedback, cathode followers and excotic valves.

Others known to work well are the EAR 834P, the Lamm LP2 and the Art Audio Vinyl one.

If compatibility is in doubt, e-mail Music First Audio.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Baudrillard

Stereo Mic

I like the new PhoNote from Note Products, a branch of Noteworthy Audio. Designed by Graham Tricker, it's a big step up from the EAR and most likely the Cole, and performs really well with the Shelter.

The Art Audio Vinyl One is also a delightful match, although it is rather overpriced it seems to me.

Stereo Mic, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Baudrillard

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The Art Audio was designed by Kevin Carter who also does a kit version for less money. May be worth a look. It's not exactly the same but it's similar.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/artaudio6/vinylreference.html

http://www.kandkaudio.com/phonostage.html

I have heard the Phonote phono stage in a system at a show and is well worth a dem.

Also look out for an Audio Innovations P2 phono stage as well. I used a tweaked one and is mighty fine.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

The Art vinyl is well regarded!

Ha Ha. realised I'd left the PhoNote out of my list just after posting- so thanks for mentioning it.

Also have edited very first post to change description of the 901 from neutral to just a tiny bit 'lively on top', which is what I've heard it is. Not that I'd really know, as my own 901 is still safe and snug in its box unused, waiting for the arrival of a SME IV.

Even if the 901 is a bit energetic on top, still best staying clear of warm stages, I reckon. On that point, has anyone had direct experience of the Lector? Les at Walrus cautioned that if the Lectors other products are anything to go by, it may be quite warm tonally???

Jeeez it's stuffy tonight.

I'm off to the Hackney Empire to see Deodato live. Evening all. :MILD:

Baudrillard, Jul 21, 2006
  7. Baudrillard

Stereo Mic

901 is extremely sensitive to VTA it seems. Make sure it's toed down a bit (easy on the SME), and any so called liveliness will be replaced by naturalness.

Stereo Mic, Jul 21, 2006
  8. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Yeah thanks SM, got that :MO!:

Is the Audio Innovations P2 actually still available?

Baudrillard, Jul 22, 2006
  9. Baudrillard

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

nope - its pretty rare second hand.

bottleneck, Jul 22, 2006
  10. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Bottleneck

Retro dont have any s/h 834p's at the mo. But he's selling them for £750 and would give me £350 back for my GS Era Gold V. Not a bad trade in.

Baudrillard, Jul 22, 2006
  11. Baudrillard

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

I am not a great fan of the Amorphous core transformers Brian CHerry sourced to have cheap alternatives.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 22, 2006
  12. Baudrillard

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

Whereas Peter Downs at Alternative Audio would probably describe them (phono stage and cd players) as neutral, all depends on what your take is on various equipment.

Example, some folk will find Tom Evans stuff neutral and exciting and detailed, others will find it harsh, excrutiating and unsubtle.

I wouldn't decribe an 834P as particularly subtle but then I wouldn't decribe it as crude either. Your view of it will also depend on what you use it with. I use mine on MM with the S&B-based MC3 and have played with the taps and cables to arrive at the sound which suits me personally. That was quite a list of stages earlier and excluded the 834P, consciously or otherwise.

Paul L, Jul 22, 2006
  13. Baudrillard

artist

I would recoment the Eastern Electric Minimax
    At £1095 it is a bargin
    I am using one with amazing results with my koetsu rosewood signature

All i am after now is some nice nos valves:D

artist, Jul 23, 2006
  14. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Just read the 6 moons review of the minimax and I quote:

"It was through the midrange where I developed a fairly strong partisanship for the tubed MiniMax. I like the added dimensionality and density that the tubes brought to the table. Music flowed with just a touch more organic fluidity and realism. And when I was using the Shelter 901, the experience was borderline religious - so smooth, expressive and non-mechanical. I believe my system reached a new landmark in realism with the Shelter/MiniMax combination".

I'll add it to the shortlist. ;)

Baudrillard, Jul 23, 2006
  15. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Arthur Salvatore seems to think that tracking force is very important with the 901:

"Very Important- "Dialing in" the correct tracking force on the Shelter 901 is CRITICAL to optimize its performance. Even 1/500th of a gram change can make a slightly noticeable difference in sonics. By contrast, the VTA of the Shelter is not as critical to optimize, at least compared to other cartridges we have used".

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Cartridges.html

16. Baudrillard

Stereo Mic

Arthur Salvatore seems to think a lot of things that I don't

It's better to use your ears IME than the scribblings of an internet vinylhead with a chip on his shoulder.

He also rates the Denon....

Stereo Mic, Jul 23, 2006
  17. Baudrillard

grivois

Since VTA is going to vary depending on record thickness, I just set my 901 parallel to the surface of an average weight record, and it sounds great. Tracking weight is important, but to the nearest 1/500th of a gram??? I usually set mine, by ear, between 1.9 to 2.0 grams, depending on the ambient temperature.

S&M, I think like most of us, Arthur thinks Denon 103's are good at their price point. Also, I believe people rarely set them to the correct loading.

grivois, Jul 23, 2006
  18. Baudrillard

Baudrillard

Is the internal wire in the SME IV ok or better to rewire?

19. Baudrillard

Stereo Mic

Grivois,

level I get sibilence with the 901. Toe it down and I don't. This is a very common finding. I'm not one of those who thinks the Denon is good value for money - in fact I think it's an awful antiquity that should have been put down twenty years ago. I know that's not the popular opinion but then, I've never been one for having popular opinions!

Stereo Mic, Jul 23, 2006
  20. Baudrillard

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

Very good if it's SMEs own re-wire.

Paul L, Jul 23, 2006
Ask a Question