Valve Question - KT88 or 6550 ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Nov 15, 2004.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Folks - recent experiments with different pre-amps have enabled me to re-assess the Graaf 5050 power amp I acquired a few months ago. I am now rather glad I failed to sell it on...

Anyway, it takes 4 KT88 or 4 6550 valves. Are these just different labels for the same thing or are they different valves? looking at pictures on websites, they certainly look different.
    If I tried KT88 instead, what differences might I notice? Is there any effect on power output?

alanbeeb, Nov 15, 2004
  2. alanbeeb

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

KT88 was made by Mullard originally, whilst the 6550 is GE version.

So they have the same specifications, but do sound different. I find that KT88 tend towards emphasis of the midrange, highlighting vocals for instance, whilst 6550 tend to be punchier so can be better for rock/dance.

So having said that, I feel most power tube rolling is subtle when compared to the driver/splitter stage. People report 'fantastic' changes which are usually just new tubes vs old tired ones.

Having tried a few KT88 and 6550 I prefer ElectroHarmonics KT88EH or real Svetlana 6550C. Look here for details http://shop.store.yahoo.com/triodeel/6550kt88kt90.html

LiloLee, Nov 15, 2004
  3. alanbeeb

blakeaudio

i think they are very similar electrically. different manufacturers tubes look a little different, but i think that's about the same as some 300b's having round (lightbulb like) shapes and others having a kink in the top of the envelope.

i think the kt90, kt88 and 6550 are all interchangable but have slightly different performance. i refer you to the below link...

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=KT88

blakeaudio, Nov 15, 2004
  4. alanbeeb

Mr.C

I swing towards the KT88. I originally used 6550s in my monoblocks, but I think the KT88 is a bit more of a ruthless valve - if you've got good amps, use them...but they can show up inferior electronics and circuit design. The difference can be more than subtle, I heard a much greater control, more detail, much more articulate bass, and it was generally more lifelike to my ears. I use JJ Electronics KT88s (push/pull).

Mr.C, Nov 15, 2004
  5. alanbeeb

Lt Cdr Data om

sadly, I never had the chance to a/b 6550 vs kt88, they are interchangable, however, I think 6550 has a limit of around 550 volts, whearas kt88 goes upto 800 or so.

6550 is a yank valve, possibly came 1st not sure, then again, could be america's answer to the kt88.

6550 sounds deliciously laid back, airy, nice valve, may sound a bit too reticent, till you get used to it and realise how detailed it really is.Easy to listen to.

I don't think I have actually heard a valve I dislike anyway.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 15, 2004
  6. alanbeeb

Croc

i tried GE 6550A's and EH KT-88's in my amp.

6550's sounded more "SS-like" - fast, great bass, extended treble, but the sound somewhat flat, cold and hard.

kt-88's are more "tube like" - warm, still very good bass, more lush, softer treble.

Croc, Nov 17, 2004
Ask a Question