Valves n Speaker probs - blimey.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, May 15, 2009.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

I had what I thought were resonances in my titanium tweeters.

The guy that makes them said it might be certain frequency combinations interacting with close tolerances, and was keen to hear the recordings so he could blow up a pair in his lab in the interests of R&D / or any Brainiac leanings.

These have never been driven hard, so I just wondered if it could be anything else interacting with the tweeter.

It turns out after taking the lid off to have been a duff pair of new Mullard E88CC tubes in my amp, switching them to JAN Philips 6922's out of curiousity has not only fixed the problem but gave a whole new lease of life to treble and upper mid range! I was told to get Mullards, despite a resonable mid range they seem to have made a "total cods" of my treble. Now in my "too expensive to bin / too dangerous to use pile."

Just goes to show, have a rummage further up the chain and you never know what you might discover! :)

SMEagol, May 15, 2009
  2. SMEagol

Haselsh1 Shaun H

SMEag's, years ago I had a WAD KLP1 preamp which used 6922's and after about a year of using it I swapped the valves for a pair of Harma's. The difference was astonishing and proved to me that if you're into for tweaking then you need a valve amp.​

Haselsh1, May 15, 2009
  3. SMEagol

Tim F

I run the Mullards in my Audion's. I've seen reviews everywhere that they're the best too. Anyways, I replaced Edicron's with E88CC and got my treble back so not idea what's wrong with those? Perhaps just something in the amp upsetting them.

Tim F, May 15, 2009
  4. SMEagol

RobHolt Moderator

I have a box full of E88CC tubes from the days when I ran a WAD Pre2. Most of them were extremely microphonic and could oscillate at high frequencies given the slightest provocation.

The titanium tweeters will likely have a nasty resonant spike somewhere between 22khz and 25khz as most metal domes do.
    Combine that with a circuit oscillating at high frequencies and you have disaster.

There is a lot to be said for transistors and sensible bandwidths ;)

RobHolt, May 15, 2009
  5. SMEagol

la toilette Downright stupid

I want to know what else you have in that pile :D

la toilette, May 15, 2009
Ask a Question