Valves Out Digital In

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanl, Jun 27, 2005.

1. alanl

alanl

Having just sold my Cymar 300B power amps and not liking the sound I got with the Quad ESL-63's while using Bryston power. I set out looking for new Mono power amps. As a :D "audiophile" :D and having most of the Audiophile Society of New South Wales Inc giving me their opinion of what I should try next was getting to be a pain. So I decided to look outside the square and try the digital amps on the market that a few members had for me to lone.

First was a Bel-Canto power amp, Now this was good great bass and highs but was just a little to forward sounding on the quad's plenty of power and drive. Equal of some of the best transistor amp I had.

Next was the Nu-force, This was very disappointing as there has been lots of hype regarding there sound in the audio press over the last few months. Sound was closed-in and most of my cds sound the same.

Last was the smallest of the lot, Flying Mole DAD-M100pro HT [​IMG] from Japan. Made by ex Yamaha digital staff that left and start a new company and called it "Flying Mole" must mean something else in Japan. I would have to agree with many of the reviews available on the web for them, very SET valve sounding smooth open with plenty of detail without being in your face. They have heaps of power 100w 8ohm and 160w 4ohm and only use 6watts of power with no signal and 30w while playing music very green cool. more information can be found at Flying Mole

So am I happy for the time being they still need a few more weeks running in before I give the final verdict but so far for the small outlay A$1200.00 the pair life could not be better. :D

Cheers

Alan

alanl, Jun 27, 2005
  2. alanl

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

Certainly the most entertaining audio name!

pauldixonuk, Jun 27, 2005
  3. alanl

Stuart

Alan,

Had a look at the info and reviews from the web site. Sound like they could be an interesting set of boxes there. What pre amp are you using?

Please keep us updated as they settle into the system.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Jun 27, 2005
  4. alanl

Tenson Moderator

I believe PMC are going to start using these in their active speakers. I think they are also the UK distributor.

Tenson, Jun 27, 2005
Ask a Question