van den hul IC query...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Dec 2, 2005.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

just got a quick query here...

I got an IC from fleabay -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5832396488&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

and when I've done a search for this on the web it comes back with a slightly different looking cable (well, different plugs)- i.e.
    http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/10833/

is it because it's a newer model..? or is the ebay seller of mine selling fakes, or bought a ream of the cable and put his own plugs on..?

just that his description says -
    "Having a cable clear out - even more bargains to be had! Used to great success in a surround system. Highly recommended by all the Hifi mags."

which to me implies that he is selling his own personal cables due to an upgrade (they don't even come boxed!) - but he sells a lot of cables (the same model and the C5) - for example -
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....1715&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr3_PcY_BIN_IT

with the same kind of connection...and guess what..? its the same description..!!! :(

any comments guys..?

tho, I am happy with the cables!

mr cat, Dec 2, 2005
  2. mr cat

Mr.C

Looks to me like the guy has put his own choice of plugs on there. I've never seen van den Hul use those RCAs before.

Mr.C, Dec 2, 2005
  3. mr cat

Garmt

Your cable has been re-terminated by the seller. Needn't be a bad thing though...

Garmt, Dec 2, 2005
  4. mr cat

this is some e-mail response from the seller -

no probs - I'll keep them, but I'll give you negative feedback and have already posted this on some hifi forums.

cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: 02 December 2005 12:45
    To: xxx
    Subject: Re: van den hul D102III Hybrid Interconnect Item number: 5832396488

Hi

I bought a whole job lot of cables and stuff from a Hifi dealer friend who sold up and moved abroad - that's why I have lots of cables for sale. I haven't terminated any cables I'm just having a clear out. I guess with his dealings with the audio world he either had them done for did them myself. I use a few pairs myself and I can't tell the difference between these other ones.

The cables are sold as seen and are treated as such unless of course they don't work. I have to be fair and say this and I don't accept refunds unless the item is faulty, and even then I'll just replace the item. There are clear pictures of the items advertised - what you received is what you bid on - the price reflects the item.

If you want to put them back on Ebay then that's up to you. I'm using Ebay as a clearing house for old stuff ... bargain cheap price - you take your pick.

Sorry I can't be of more help - but you know what they say - 'what you buy on Ebay, you can sell on Ebay'

Cheers

----- Original Message -----
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 12:19 PM
    Subject: van den hul D102III Hybrid Interconnect Item number: 5832396488

Hi,
    I'm just mailing you reagrding these IC's I just boight from you…

I would like a refund as I believe that the plugs have been changed on them from the Van Den Hul plugs to some Maplins ones (see - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1007&doy=2m12D) - I'm not sure why you have done this, but I guess it's because you have bought a reel of the cable….as I've noticed you have sold a fair few of these...I've no problems with that - I just prefer the real thing!

I'll post them back on Monday

cheers

mr cat, Dec 2, 2005
  5. mr cat

Garmt

Go Mr. Cat! ;D

Garmt, Dec 2, 2005
  6. mr cat

Will The Lucky One

To be honest I think leaving negative feedback is very harsh, given that from the advert the plugs are clearly visible in the picture, as is the described length - 0.5m.

Looking around any online retailer of Van Den Hul would probably have indicated to you that VDH never sold interconnect cables in 0.5m lengths (they do 0.6, 0.8, 1.0, 1.2m) and would have shown pictures of the cable with the quite different looking plugs.

If you'll notice the hificables advert for the D102 mk3 you link to, notice it says 'This is genuine Van Den Hul boxed product with factory fitted phono plugs' (the emphasis is mine). Nowhere does the ebay seller make the same claim, so why assume the same was true for his item?

Can't help but feel caveat emptor in this case...do your research before bidding. Assuming things about your item on ebay often leads to disappointment :(

My 2p...probably not what you want to hear but hey :)

Will, Dec 2, 2005
  7. mr cat

yeah, I know what you're saying - but I did assume that I was getting the real macoy - maybe I should have researched prior...anyway, I haven't gave him negative feedback, but I have reported him to ebay as his add states that they are - van den hul D102III Hybrid Interconnect
    and they have been altered....see what they say I guess!

mr cat, Dec 2, 2005
  8. mr cat

Crustyloafer

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups.

Crustyloafer, Dec 2, 2005
  9. mr cat

zanash

The plugs are maplin types at £2 a shot each ..not actually bad but not anywhere the best, or as good as originally fitted.

As to the cable it depends if its been wired as vandehul did it! It could sound grot if not!

price is a bit steep too if youask me [which you didn't] but there supposed to be quite good.

zanash, Dec 4, 2005
  10. mr cat

zanash

I asked where these the original terminations?

answer

Hi

Good question - I bought a whole load of different cables from a VDH dealer who was moving on. I understand that he terminated these cables for a bespoke project and that they are terminated to factory standards - in fact better because he used Wonder Solder - high silver content. There is a special way to terminate these cables apparently that involves attaching the shield at one end to drain away interference.

I don't know much about it - but from what I can gather these have been terminated to factory spec - other buyers have raved about them, so they must have something right about them

hope this helps

I'm feel he's playing dumb....or just is !

If you need me to reterminate....drop me a pm.

zanash, Dec 5, 2005
  11. mr cat

hi, thanks for that - actually, I'm happy with them now...and the seller has offered a refund of 25 quid which is better than nothing i guess....tho he did send the mail on saturday - maybe he heard back from ebay..?

I think I'll just keep them now tho!

mr cat, Dec 5, 2005
Ask a Question