Various valve stuff KT88 ARC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Hi All,

I've been running my ARC monoblocks for AGES with a duff tube in one (darn). I have Grove Tubes Ei KT90's at the moment. Looking for a sensible priced set (I'll need two matched sets of 8) of KT88's or KT90's. What would you recommend? I drive very large speakers Mirage M1's so need a fair bit of power. Due to needing 16, I'd prefer if there was a low failure rate!

Thanks, Tim

Tim F, Jun 11, 2005
  2. Tim F

alanl

Try New Sensor at www.newsensor.com If you can think of a story to spin to gain an account at New Sensor the pricing is at least 30% less than listed.

alanl, Jun 11, 2005
  3. Tim F

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

KT90 will always give more volume than KT88 so straight away there is a trade off there.

KT90's reliability tend to be a bit erratic, unfortunately. However I have seen that EH are doing them now and that is good as EH have a great reputation. I have used EH KT88 in the past and they are very good.

You can get both KT90 or KT88 from EH on eBay and they are good value compared to buying from an establshed shop in this country.

LiloLee, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Tim F

la toilette Downright stupid

I second the Electro Harmonix KT88 vote, they were a clear improvement in sound over the Svetlana's I had previously - really sweet but detailed sound, I bought a quad of EH for about £45 GBP from a dealer in the states so quite affordable......

Can't comment on KT90 having never tried them.....

la toilette, Jun 11, 2005
Ask a Question