Veritas P400 desicion help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by gregf, Jun 16, 2005.

1. gregf

gregf

Hi guys,

I have an chance to purchase a Veritas P400 from a private seller. How does it sound? I believe it is based on the Tripath eval board but I can not find any info on the web. How does it compare with the Belcantos? Is it similar sounding?

Thanks,

Gregf.

gregf, Jun 16, 2005
  2. gregf

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The veritas is not really "based on" the tripath eval board... it IS the tripath eval board, in a box with a big linear supply.

I-S, Jun 16, 2005
  3. gregf

gregf

Thanks for the answer, how does it sound?

gregf, Jun 16, 2005
  4. gregf

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Its pretty crude inside, oh and outside to, how does it sound. Best go for a listen Greg see what you feel. Wm

wadia-miester, Jun 16, 2005
  5. gregf

gregf

WM, I will go for a listen soon. I get the feeling that you dont think it comes close to the Belcanto (?).

gregf, Jun 16, 2005
  6. gregf

I've own the 400 and the ES labs (the newer ones are better|) as well.
    Down to your ears sir. Wm

7. gregf

capdegat

WM , I've got a newish eslab and can't make up my mid about it . Very detailed, excellent soundstage but bright ? or is that just the digital sound .

capdegat, Jun 16, 2005
  8. gregf

Capdegat,

I certainly would catagorise it as bright, they are transparent and tend to give a very truthful presentation of the source. Also careful matching of speakers is important.
    These type of of hybrid class d technology, do really benefit from mains treatment.
    Do you use any at all?. I find they do make a fairly big impact on the sound (Note I manufacture products like these, so my opinion you may/may not wish to take).
    What are your sources/speakers and room dimentions please? Wm

9. gregf

gregf

Isaac and WM, you would not happen to know which eval board and what power supply was used on the Veritas?

gregf, Jun 16, 2005
  10. gregf

Yes the earlier version, not the 3020, and the psu is average at best.

11. gregf

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I think it was the TDA204, but can't remember. Veritas went bust long before the second or third gen tripath stuff came out.

I-S, Jun 16, 2005
  12. gregf

gregf

I may give it a miss then. I was hoping that if the PSU is top quality I could replace the Tripath board with something else (LCaudio or Hypex). Thanks guys.

gregf, Jun 16, 2005
  13. gregf

capdegat

WM
    thanks for reply . Unfornately I have a no of major problems . I live in france and the supply is utter garbage .At the moment i'm trying a variac ! followed by ups type regulaor .The eslab still trips out so the voltage excursions are huge.
    system is
    oracle transport
    dax decade
    eslab pre
    proac future 2

As you can see I'm totally over the top in detail and have been seriously thinking of going valve But its difficult when your'e in the wilds.

capdegat, Jun 16, 2005
  14. gregf

Have you tried running the DEcade Diect and leaving out the pre?,
    The F2's are not bright by any means, have a client with these, they are warm and inviting sound.
    I understand the mains in France is pants MY father owns a hotel In Reberiac and I had to fit a voltage stabiliser just to stop the mains from blowing nearly £60 or bulbs a year LOL
    You have some quality kit there, I would politely suggest trying a mains conditioner on home trial. that way you can see for yourself if its worth while. Wm

15. gregf

capdegat

A couple of points there - the f2s took over from meridian actives which I had for nearly 20 yrs and to me are perhaps very slightly cliniical . I have also tried mains voltage conditioners but to no avail - the excursions seem pretty large . I am definately open to suggestions as I was looking at another amp as a temporary answer .
    Sorry for waylaying your thred gregf but I would go ahead and try , totally diffenet sound to my ears and does take some getting used to but IMO worth it

capdegat, Jun 17, 2005
  16. gregf

Capedegat,
    Although Proac's arn't my favourite speaker (its a shame Merlins away, he could offer some advice here), I wouldn't say the clinical. Anyway I digress. I would look at something like the Shunyata hydra 6 or 8. This will certainly have an effect on your system, wheather you like it though is a different thing, it gives a very fuild and rich textutre/presence to the music, whilst dropping the noise floor greatly.
    Which Oracle do you own the 1500 or 2000? I've played with a 1500, its pretty ok in stock form, can't see that being an issue, the Decade doesn't have as much detail as the discrete, however I feel its far more musical.
    I feel you need to tackle the root cause before taking big steps like swopping amps.
    If you wish ot continue this could you PM please that way we won't divert the thread too much. Wm

wadia-miester, Jun 17, 2005
Ask a Question