Very Cheap Phono Stage Needed....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RDD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

I've just bought a Pioneer PL-12D as a cheap tweakable turntable for the bargain price of £30, but I now need a phono stage as my Denon doesn't have one which is a royal pain in the arse.

There's no way I can justify spending more than the TT cost on what is to me a damned inconvenience, so I was wondering if anyone has anything suitable and reasonably good knocking around (PM me if you have please) or if anyone’s heard one of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-BLACK-BOX...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

For the money it looks quite good, decent box, on board PSU so no wall wart etc

Any ideas welcome thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
    RDD, Dec 3, 2008
  2. RDD

spica

Hi there,

From what i hear, the Cambridge 640p is a cheap and cheerful phonostage with many good reviews. I know nothing of the one you are leaning toward, but a good guess would say it to be of the most basic amps on the market, spending a few more pounds on something considered *decent* will be much better option, for your ears and pocket if/when you sell and/or upgrade.

Good Luck.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/3_phono_preamps_e.html

P.S..... or the cam 540p, no mc but still Very reasonable .

spica, Dec 3, 2008
  3. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Thanks for the input, I am actually watching a 640p on eBay at the moment funnily enough, thing is I don't want to spend much, as I said the TT only cost £30 so to spend more on something that I would only usually buy as an upgrade (I've always found onboard phono stages on my amp's to be good enough) is hard to justify...I'll see what the 640p ends up at, I'm in no rush as I'm still waiting for the TT :rolleyes:

RDD, Dec 3, 2008
  4. RDD

dreftar

The PL12D is not that revealing as a turntable and you are quite right to consider the Cambridge 640p. Incidentally I use the 640p on my Linn LP12 / Rega Elys system and enjoy listening to vinyl as my preferred source.

dreftar, Dec 3, 2008
  5. RDD

D Louth 77

Phon pre

I would suggesrt a Project Phono box £50 new or maybe a Musical Fidelity X lps S/H maybe for about £50 to £70.

Regards D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Dec 3, 2008
  6. RDD

Lord Nitrogen

Google 'TC-760LC'

PM me if interested - this is a two months old MC/MM phono amp, very close to your budget.

Lord Nitrogen, Dec 4, 2008
  7. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions so far chaps, I'll keep my eye on the 640p and if it goes over budget (i.e. £30) then I'll investigate further, the TC-760LC does look sound quite good from the reviews....

Any other suggestions/offers while I wait welcome

RDD, Dec 4, 2008
  8. RDD

dreftar

Perhaps

I have a very old eagle phono pre amp. Its not really that good but if you want it you can have it for the price of postage etc PM if interested

dreftar, Dec 4, 2008
  9. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

PMs sent :)

RDD, Dec 5, 2008
  10. RDD

PumaMan

Maplins have a cheapey in their shops.

PumaMan, Dec 5, 2008
  11. RDD

JANDL100

I had a "Black Box" phono stage - it actually makes a decent enough sound as long as you don't compare it to anything else! That's a serious comment, by the way.

Those CA 640p stages usually go for circa £60.

JANDL100, Dec 5, 2008
  12. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Just a quick update, I decided to go with the Black Box in the end – it arrived yesterday, initial impressions are excellent for the money, brand new (which is always a bonus), good construction and an in built PSU so no wall warts. To me it's exactly what a phono stage should be, two in sockets and two out sockets, no buttons, switches or knobs :)

I've still not got the TT yet but will let you know if it's ok; to be honest at this level it should be just the job. As I said in the past I've been happy with "in amp" versions and still noticed any tweaks that were done to the TT. Thanks for the advice and offers – appreciated.

RDD, Dec 9, 2008
Ask a Question