VERY simple Vinyl query

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oscar23, Nov 15, 2005.

1. oscar23

oscar23

Right here's a reasonably easy query... I want a 2nd (budget) system to put in my bedroom and I am interested in checking out the hallowed halls of Vinyl... So, I was considering dropping some notes on a P3 or such like and a fistfull of records... Question is quite simple; I want to go to sleep to this stuff without worrying about having to get up and put the arm back home at the end of the disc..... is that OK can you let it play to the end & forget about it or do you need to pop it back yourself?
    thanks gents ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005
    oscar23, Nov 15, 2005
  2. oscar23

Mr.C

Can't see a problem as the lead-out grooves are unmodulated, so stylus wear should be at a bare minimum. If you get any LPs with noisy lead-out grooves you may be rudely awoken (as I have been)!

Mr.C, Nov 15, 2005
  3. oscar23

Sid and Coke

You can buy an end of side arm lifter that you can add to a fully manual deck, ( I have one fitted to my LP12), or you could buy a semi automatic deck that has an end of side lifter , one that instantly springs to mind as an exaple is the Dual 505 Mk 4 that i once owned, unfortunately it wasn't the best sounding deck in the world so there was a trade off for this conveinience.

Maybe one of the Old Jap decks of a few years ago might be worth a look. I think that the snob value of owning a wholly British designed and manufactured, fully manual, TT has subsided somewhat within Audiophool circles in in recent years....

Sid and Coke, Nov 15, 2005
  4. oscar23

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

... or Project do a deck - 1.2 Comfort :rolleyes: which will detect end of side and switch off the motor. I believe they have a version of the debut coming out that'll do the same thing. Should come in a lot cheaper than a P3 and I don't think Pro-Ject do a any bad decks tbh.

Another alternative would be one of the current crop of Thorens decks which I think are old fashined full autos.

Uncle Ants, Nov 15, 2005
  5. oscar23

Sid and Coke

This post has brought back a memory ! :D .

I once owned a very strange deck. It was definately made by Pro-Ject and was almost exactly the same as a Pro-Ject 1.0 or 1.2. It was badged as a ( approx. quote) ; "Goldring Excelda 1 designed by Reny (?) Thorens"

This deck had a switch underneath the arm pillar with a kind of 'paddle' on it. Basically as the Tonearm came into alignment with the run out grooves of a record, a small peg protruding from the bottom of the arm would actuate a switch and turn of the power to the motor. IIRC i don't think the tonearm actually rose off the record, but the platter definately stopped spinning.
    With this in mind I reckon that the Pro-Ject 1.2 Comfort is probably the same deck but now badged under their own Name.

I've owned both a Pro-Ject 1.2 and My Goldring Excelda 1 and think that they are both fine budget performers, probably not quite as good as a Rega P2/P3, but good all the same. You could easily buy with confidence for a second bedroom system...

Sid and Coke, Nov 15, 2005
  6. oscar23

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Is it just a coincidence that Pro-ject are Czech and make a product called 1.2 comfort, and that Skoda are Czech and make a product called fabia 1.2 comfort?

I-S, Nov 15, 2005
  7. oscar23

Probably a similar deck - and yes I understand it just stops the motor, it doesn't lift the arm - but I guess for these purposes that's good enough. Pro-Ject describe it as an "Opto-electronic end-of-record switch-off" - so its sounds like its now some kind of magic eye switch rather than a physical one.

Any way specs here:

http://www.project-audio.com/en/12com.html

If full auto is what is needed ie. lifts arm and returns to base, then I think the only decentish decks to do that these days are the Thorens decks.

Uncle Ants, Nov 15, 2005
  8. oscar23

oscar23

thanks guys - most reliable - i'll check out that, really new to Vinyl so didn't have a clue what to look for... :)

oscar23, Nov 15, 2005
  9. oscar23

No worries :) Just tell us what you decide in the end ... so one of us can shoot it down in flames and tell you that, no, no, no ... what you want is .... ;)

Uncle Ants, Nov 15, 2005
  10. oscar23

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I hope you're right, as I fell asleep (while drunk) the Saturday before last with Kate Bush's "The ninth wave" side on - nice 90 minutes later when my housemates got back and woke me up...

If it was the last track on either "Sgt. Pepper" or Pink Floyd's "Atom heart mother", or "The muppet show volume 1" for that matter, it'd have certainly woken me up!

domfjbrown, Nov 16, 2005
  11. oscar23

lordsummit moderate mod

My wife once left one spinning for a week, there was a new groove cut on the record, and the stylus was peppered, unsurprising so as it had been turned into the worlds first fetish cart. I'd buy the Debut if that was what I wanted, or get a tape deck and record the records I wanted to play onto tape. You can get amazing copies from vinyl onto the tape decks that for sale for pennies these days. I've been selling a Sony TC-K611S, that was over £300 brand new, one of the best recorders around, I'd take £60 for it with over a hundred pre-recorded tapes, and I've not had a sniff yet.

lordsummit, Nov 16, 2005
Ask a Question