VFM turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JohnMak, Feb 19, 2004.

1. JohnMak

JohnMak

Can any of the UK forummers comment on a good VFM turntable.
    I have a friend who can bring me back either
    1. A Roksan Radius - I think around GBP900 with arm.
    2, A Michell Gyro SE - GBP1,058 with arm or
    3, The new Musical Fidelity M1 with new SMEM2 arm for GBP2,999.

The MF is a big jump in price but it has just had a very good review in the HF News I just bought.

I like a detailed sound with tight forceful bass.

I have to buy blind, but I figure any one of these models will be pretty good. I would still love to hear comments from any non-partisan enthusiast who has actually heard them.

As much as I love to read mag reviews, I cannot entirely trust magazine reviewers. They have too much at stake re advertising revenue and their jobs etc.

JohnMak, Feb 19, 2004
  2. JohnMak

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A second hand Kuzma Stabi/Stogi S for 600-800.

Should show a clean set of heels to those IMHO

Saw one at www.emporiumhifi.co.uk (750?) dont know if its still there.

bottleneck, Feb 19, 2004
  3. JohnMak

Joolsburger

Joolsburger, Feb 19, 2004
  4. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi guys,
    Many thanks for the feedback.
    Joolsburger ..... interesting you mention the Scheu. These are available in Singapore for a little over $4,000 SGD. I was interested in this model but after posting on a couple of forums, no one seemed to know anything about them so I was a bit scared I would be buying an "orphan"
    The guy who selld them in Singapore runs it on a little Lavardin integrated amp through Living Voice speakers .... I was impressed at the time I heard it and was quite pussled that no one seemed to know about them. I thought it made the LP12 sound quite "spongy" and loose.

JohnMak, Feb 19, 2004
  5. JohnMak

GrahamN

Hi Jools..saw that Scheu from your previous post. They look really cool too, must say I'm quite tempted (must resist this ridiculous vinyl craze....must resist...must....mmm....). Have you actually heard one?

GrahamN, Feb 19, 2004
  6. JohnMak

penance Arrogant Cock

Im building a Scheu based TT at the mo.
    Useing the Scheu motor, bearing and 80mm platter.
    Im making the plinth from slate and the motor and arm will have thier own mounts seperate from the plinth.
    All the bits cost me about £450 from germany.

penance, Feb 19, 2004
  7. JohnMak

joel Shaman of Signals

Seems like the Rega P25 is being sold off at discount prices (less than 400quid) and the price could go lower as Rega introduces the new P5 and P7 TTs into the channels.
    So you could get a P25, stick a Dynavector Karat D17-II cart on one end a Dynavector P75 phono stage on the other. Rock 'n' Roll.

joel, Feb 19, 2004
  8. JohnMak

Joolsburger

I have not heard one but for that price I figure what the hell...

Do a search on here for some owner comments

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

The concensus seems to be that for the money there's nothing close...One guy prefferd it to his Plantine FFS...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2004
    Joolsburger, Feb 20, 2004
  9. JohnMak

Paul Duerden

Penance,

I think a slate plinth is a potentially great idea, I've been meaning to get my hands on either a Garrard 401 or a Thorens 124, to strip down, service, add a power supply and put in a slate plinth.

Sadly the usual Duerden slothfullness has resulted in nothing getting done yet.

Paul Duerden, Feb 20, 2004
  10. JohnMak

dominicT former member

Depending on budget I would go for the Michel but if you have more money then the likes of Clearaudio are probably a better bet. I own a Michel (love them) but I also bought a Pink Triangle/Kuzma/Dynavector that is considerably better then a stock Gyro with RB250 in the bass department. The Clearaudios are probably better still than the Pink and are still in production.

Do not understand why your friend has limited options on what he can bring back. Walrus do not ever send T/Ts overseas because of damage so you are right to use a friend to bring something back. There are many T/Ts available in the UK or is he elsewhere? Walrus in London is probably the best place to buya T/T from and to advise you if you need to buy blind - speak to Les.

Dominic

dominicT, Feb 20, 2004
  11. JohnMak

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

A choice out of those three?.. Well I haven't heard the MF..and IMHO the only thing MF ever did right was their amps.. but .. I'd go for the Roksan over the Gyro any day. The Gyro is of the fluffy bass old school of TT sound.. much like the Linn. The Roksan has a far more accurate bass, leaner, much more tuneful..and only there when it's meant to be, oh and in stereo too!!. The Radius was so good when they brought it out originally they had to improve the Xerxes because they weren't worth the extra money.

GTM

GTM, Feb 20, 2004
Ask a Question