Vintage Sony STR VX2L help and info

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by TheFruitManOfDoom, Sep 8, 2024.

1. TheFruitManOfDoom

TheFruitManOfDoom

Hello
    I am a bit of a beginner with hifis and I recently bought a Sony STR VX2L amp/radio at a bootsale and was very keen to find some info on it/ receive some advice! Firstly, out of curiosity, does anyone know when this model was made approximately and what sort of level of quality was it? Was it average for the day or high end? (Or low end...)
    I only payed £5 for it but unfortunately it doesn't seem to power up when I plug it in. Would it need to be hooked up to the rest of the stack to work anyhow? I was wondering if this is a model worth investing money in to get repaired, or if it isn't really that good? My electrical repair abilities are limited to replacing the fuse and plug, beyond that I'll have to take it to a repair shop.
    Also, does anyone know what the model names are of the other parts to this stereo system? I'm guessing it wouldn't have had a CD player if it's very old.

Thanks in advance and hope you have a truly excellent breakfast today.

TheFruitManOfDoom, Sep 8, 2024
  2. TheFruitManOfDoom

Sergeauckland

It was made in 1981-2
    25 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Looks like one of their more budget range, but not that that's a bad thing.
    If you PM me your email address, I can send you the Service Manual and brochure.
    S

Sergeauckland, Sep 8, 2024
  3. TheFruitManOfDoom

TheFruitManOfDoom

That would be great, thanks very much!

4. TheFruitManOfDoom

Arkless Electronics

Will cost more to repair than it's worth.

Arkless Electronics, Sep 8, 2024
  5. TheFruitManOfDoom

TheFruitManOfDoom

As luck would have it, its decided to power on now

6. TheFruitManOfDoom

Sergeauckland

It would make sense to squirt some switch cleaner into the controls and switches, and exercise them a few times. Let the switch cleaner evaporate fully before applying power again. Vacuum clean inside to remove dust before using the switch cleaner.
    Also, look for any capacitors that look like they're bulging or leaking, as these are now over 40 years old.
    Good luck with the car boot find. It's satisfying when you can get something like that and it works.

S

Sergeauckland, Sep 8, 2024
  7. TheFruitManOfDoom

TheFruitManOfDoom

Thank you for the advice, I will do that! I'm on the hunt for a turntable to go with it now...

TheFruitManOfDoom, Sep 14, 2024 at 3:53 PM
  8. TheFruitManOfDoom

Sergeauckland

Good luck with the search. Depending on your budget, I would look for a Sony, Denon or Technics Direct Drive turntable. If they are working properly, they will be quite reliable, and not need much attention. However, if they do go wrong, they need some technical knowledge to repair. Belt drive turntables are much easier to repair, but often need more attention. The simplest Belt Drives with good performance are Rega and ProJect. Others worth looking at are Revolver, Dual, and if your budget can stretch to it, Thorens and Ariston.

As to cartridges, see what the turntable you're buying is already fitted with. It might just need a new stylus. Never ever trust an old stylus unless the seller can prove it's very recent. If you need a new cartridge, then Audio Technica these days provides the best value for money, and very good performance.

S.

Sergeauckland, Sep 14, 2024 at 4:09 PM
Ask a Question