Vinyl Disappiontment

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Soloist, May 26, 2009.

1. Soloist

Soloist In my lonely furrow

The journey continues...

But wait - disappointment? having been a fan of Ultravox since the early 80s, bought all the singles, some albums and latterly a couple of 'best ofs' on CD, I finally got round to playing 'Vienna' off the album on the new TT. Bit flat really but then I was also disappointed with the sound off the CD. Obviously this completely undermines my previously high regard of M. Ure et al on the engineering front (and was it Connie Plank?)

Best album so far on my relistening journey has been Gloria Estefan!!! (Cuts Both Ways) and best CD so far has been George Michael (Mrs Soloist's choice - she is sharing the listening experience).

Regards to all.

Soloist, May 26, 2009
  2. Soloist

johnhunt recidivist

shouldn't this thread be renamed ' Music Disappointment'?

johnhunt, May 26, 2009
  3. Soloist

Ah ha! yes, perhaps the music specifically mentioned therein may be a little insipid (with the exception of the Ultravox!) but other music was also on the platter! I have no music prejudice and the object of the excercise at the moment is to gain an appreciation for my recent upgrades!

I also listened to The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking (Roger Waters) - well, sort of, I was disturbed constantly so I will have to do this again. I was hoping for something special with this.

BTW, Gloria looks absolutely delicious on the album cover! very 80's

Soloist, May 26, 2009
  4. Soloist

NEWGUY

Hi, I have afew 80's Electronica lp's.To be honest they mostly sound stunning.The ultravox Viena Lp is particulaly dynamic .It has huge bass dynamics with a realy punchy sound.Not compresed or harsh , so i think your doing the production a diservise.I have a Michell Giro,orbe platter,QC feeding a modified all valve phono stage with a Shelter 501 Cartridge.Can i ask what set up you've got.A good Cartridge through a Valve phono stage will soung stunningly dynamic.As with every thing in audio its how you do things.Then you will find you will rediscover your LP collection.......James

NEWGUY, May 30, 2009
  5. Soloist

Well it's good to hear there may yet be more to hear! I am just at the very beginning of my vinyl journey. I'm so impressed even with my basic set up that I have raided the charity shops on holiday. I'll post more when I get home!

Soloist, May 30, 2009
  6. Soloist

myles

Give Pros and Cons another go, its a great album, and my son loves the front cover!

myles, May 31, 2009
  7. Soloist

nando nando

i have the original pro's by roger, it sounds awesome on vynil, not so good on the cd format,
    nando.

nando, Jun 6, 2009
  8. Soloist

Yes, had another listen - in full - the other night. Just great!.. Reminds me of college days. Don't think I've ever heard everything before though!. Just great!

Soloist, Jun 6, 2009
  9. Soloist

nando nando

i am now playing his amused to death album, wow, memories that brings.
    nando.

nando, Jun 6, 2009
  10. Soloist

AndrewLB

I think you bought that TT from me (through Hi Fi Adverts, right?). That's the original mid-80s cartridge you're using. I thought it had a bit of life left but I'd definitely upgrade if I were you (and there are some other upgrades you can try with that deck - acrylic platter, upgraded mat, etc.).

AndrewLB, Jun 8, 2009
  11. Soloist

Andrew, yes, picking up Waz's 10x5 and dynavector phono stage tomorrow! Can't wait to hear the improvements. anyone near Peterborough with a digital balance?

Regards to all

Soloist, Jun 8, 2009
  12. Soloist

SMEagol Because we wants it...

You can borrow mine ...if you can wait.

(bet you can't)

SMEagol, Jun 8, 2009
  13. Soloist

Chris, thats a great offer, don't know quite how that would work due to geographical separation and yes, you're right, I probably won't be able to wait!

Soloist, Jun 9, 2009
Ask a Question