Vinyl help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by de'Kev, Dec 11, 2004.

1. de'Kev

de'Kev

Bought a pair of Magnepan MMG's a few months ago which finally put me on the music making path I've been searching for. Followed them up with a 2nd hand Linn Ikemi which was a big improvement on my CD63SE. Happy bunny :D then I got my old Michell Mycro RB300 ATOC5 out of the attic :mad: . How can an old technology old equipment play better music than modern high tec gear, dam*

Question is I now have the urge to see what vinyl can do, I'm modding my JLH phono stage with boutique parts but I don't kow what to do about the rest. Do I buy an ATOC9 £153 from the US, do I swap the RB300, do I sell the Mycro and buy a 2nd hand Gyrodec.

Any pointers from the experts here will be much appreciated

de'Kev

de'Kev, Dec 11, 2004
  2. de'Kev

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

I would go for a better turntable. Look at the like of the Gyrodek. Also look at Nottingham Analogue turntables, like this. This and other Nottingham decks can be picked up for under a £1000. Other decks that can be picked up 2nd hand for around £400 to £1000 include the Linn Lp12, Roksan Xerses, Voyd, Vpi, Clearaudio, Rega, Townshend (Elite) etc.

The thing is that there are many turntables that are better than the Myrco.This will give you a big improvement. I would go for a turntable upgrade.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 11, 2004
  3. de'Kev

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi Kev,

If ever you get round to selling the Mycro, give us a shout - I may be able to find a home for it :cool: Auntie Ants wants something better than the pretty looking but nasty sounding B&O thing she currently has in her office/studio and some perspex, budget exotica like the Mycro could be just the ticket. PM me when you know what you are going to do.

Oh and I'd be happy to take it with or without the arm - might make sense for you to take the RB300 with you to your next deck if you take that route - The Rega's are good arms and have plenty of upgrade potential too.

Unc.

Uncle Ants, Dec 13, 2004
  4. de'Kev

de'Kev

Thanks for the input, I've decided to send my RB300 to Origin live for an upgrade, TNT think very highly of it. Then after Xmas I'll look for a deck to swap it over to. The Mycro will then be surplus. Problem is in the wilds of sunny Stoke, there are no dealers that stock any t/t's now, so I'll buy 2nd hand and if I don't like it I can sell again without taking too much of a hit. I'll keep in mind your suggestions.
    On that theme there seems to be a few LP12's and Cranfield/Townshend Rocks come up on Ebay, any thoughts on how these compare?

Kev

de'Kev, Dec 13, 2004
  5. de'Kev

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Kev,

Can't really comments on the relative merits of the two, but would say be careful buying decks on ebay. I've bought three in the past and two were winners - one was most certainly not. The two that were good deals - one was a dealer who delivered it personally and offered money back if not satisfied - the second was local, so I could take a look before handing over the cash. The third where I had neither of these benefits had a platter that went up and down like fairground ride due to a bent spindle - after much bad tempered email I gave it up as bad job (luckily it wasn't too pricey).

Not saying don't buy on ebay - just take the sensible precautions - ask questions, check their feedback, see where they are, read the description carefully - you know the score.

Uncle Ants, Dec 15, 2004
  6. de'Kev

lordsummit moderate mod

I run a Towhnshend Avalon which is a cracking little deck, not as good as a rock, but with many of the advantages. it does make a rather lovely little noise, I would consider a rock if I could afford it, but like Uncle Ants, I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't try it first

lordsummit, Dec 15, 2004
  7. de'Kev

Gromit Buffet-blower

Kev - before you send your RB3 off to Origin Live, have a long hard look at the Michell Technoweight and the Incognito wiring mods. I recently did mine and was double-gobsmacked at the difference it made and all for under 200 quid. They really do take the arm onto another level in terms of dynamics, bass power and musical fluidity - whereas the Rega can sound a bit 'grey' (although still amazing for the money) it now feels like its brakes have been let off. Very highly recommended. :)

OC9's for less than 200 quid??? Tell me more! Are these ML's or older stock 9's? It's just that I fancy getting my old 9 re-tipped and don't want to spend 300 quid for the privelage. :eek:

As to tt's - if you like the Michell sound, then a Gyro would be a sensible move. The new ones also have the DC motor which is a major improvement.

Gromit, Dec 17, 2004
  8. de'Kev

de'Kev

Arm already sent :mad:

At OC9MLii, available in the US for $275, I've got a colleague coming into the UK from the States on Jan4th so I'll get him to bring it in for me, at todays exchange rate that is £143, good value I think.

I don't know what is happening with cartridge prices at the moment but there is at least one guy buying Ortofon, Kontras, Jubilees and Rohman's from Ebay in Germany and reselling them on Ebay UK at daft prices, likely that we are being ripped off in the UK I think, especially given the US prices as well.

Seen a couple of reviews of Acoustic Solid t/t's, reviewers are really impressed, one is Thorsten Loesch, the other on Enjoy the Music. Interested because there is an ex-dem model coming for sale soon, so I may have a look at that.

Kev

de'Kev, Dec 17, 2004
  9. de'Kev

Gromit Buffet-blower

Kev - for Ortofon prices have a decko here

Recommended to me by another ZeroGainer. :)

Gromit, Dec 17, 2004
Ask a Question