Vinyl problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcfarrell, Jan 29, 2004.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Whenever I play a record from the very start, I hear the first second of music really quietly before it actually starts playing. I've got a Rega P3 and a Project Phono BoxSE, but I think I remember it doing it with my last turntable. Any ideas

jimmymcfarrell, Jan 29, 2004
  2. jimmymcfarrell

Joolsburger

Yeah. It's on the record don't worry about it it happens to everyone.

Joolsburger, Jan 29, 2004
  3. jimmymcfarrell

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I think the gosting effect is caused by the pressing.

garyi, Jan 29, 2004
  4. jimmymcfarrell

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

It is in fact your inner-self humming along with the song before it starts.

[​IMG]

nnnnnneeeeeeeeeowwwwwwwwwww buzzzzzzzzzzzz

bottleneck, Jan 29, 2004
  5. jimmymcfarrell

Ghosting? Thats a new one! Does this happen all the way through the record (ie is it just un-noticeable cos the "real" music is playing) or only at the start of the disk. How can it happen. are the first two grooves the same, just with the very first being quieter?

6. jimmymcfarrell

"It is in fact your inner-self humming along with the song before it starts."

That was my first thought, its much more logical- but then how come it happens with records Ive never heard before!!!!!!!!!!
    (jimmy farrell):pRaT:

7. jimmymcfarrell

penance Arrogant Cock

Try Led Zep

you get to hear the lyrics a few seconds before Mr Plant voices them

penance, Jan 29, 2004
  8. jimmymcfarrell

HenryT

If that's the "way down inside" bit from Whole Lotta Love, then that doesn't count, as it's meant to be like that as it does it on the CD version too. :D

HenryT, Jan 29, 2004
  9. jimmymcfarrell

michaelab desafinado

I've only ever experienced this before with casettes where the the tight winding of the tape has "printed through" the magnetic info to the layer below (or above). It was very annoying and presumably affected the whole tape but was only noticeable in the quiet bits.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 29, 2004
  10. jimmymcfarrell

penance Arrogant Cock

Henry

Its on most of the vinyl zep ive got aswell

penance, Jan 29, 2004
  11. jimmymcfarrell

Sid and Coke

I've noticed this effect too on a few records, i'll try to remember to note them next time i experience it. Like Michaelab mentioned this was very common on cassette tape, especially on ones that hadn't been used for ages as the magnetic influences of the layers could interact with each other to a small degree which could be amplified by time. ( eg: large influence over short time = small influence over long time). I would imagine that this could even effect Master tapes too ?

regarding Vinyl records, I did have a small personal theory that maybe if the disc had a lot of info on it , with smaller, tightly packed grooves and less space between them, then maybe the modulations from one groove could be transferred through to an adjoining groove, but at a much smaller amplitude , (eg slight Groove wall distortion) but that this effect would only be obvious during the first run in groove as after that the proper modulations of the 'in use' groove would be too big to be effected. Just an idea anyway.

Sid and Coke, Jan 29, 2004
  12. jimmymcfarrell

zanash

I always under stodd this was from print through of the original master tapes. The Magnetic information being passed to the layer of tape over the one its actually recorded on. The level is low enough to be unheard through the music or quiet phases, but not through the silence at the start of tracks. If it is a press artifact it should really only be on one channel ?

I've no idea what effect more modern recording techniques have on this phenomena as I don't buy LP's anymore. I have heard this on Cd's too, but only those that rereleases of old stuff.

zanash, Jan 30, 2004
  13. jimmymcfarrell

Atleast its normal then...
    another one, Ive got my turntable wired into my TAG integrated amp and then an A&R A60 / SA60 plugged into the tape out of the TAG. Whenever I lift the needle off the record, there is static audible through the speakers for a few seconds. With the A&R it comes out of the left speaker, with the TAG its the right, However the wires between the TAG and the A&R, and the A&R integrated & power amp are all in phase! Any ideas where the static comes from, and why it can swap between speakers?

jimmymcfarrell, Jan 30, 2004
  14. jimmymcfarrell

Found a crackin example of ghosting today - Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac. It happens a few times - the worst I heard was after the bell noise, there's a silence before Peter Green sings "Well when I talk to God I knew he'd understand", you hear almost the whole line before it is repeated.

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 24, 2004
  15. jimmymcfarrell

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

jimmy,

I take it that is from the excellent 'Then Play On' LP? My parents have a copy of this on vinyl - I borrowed it a few months ago and it's superb stuff! I was lucky enough to get the CD at Christmas. A good choice you have there ;)

Think I'll have to get more PG's Fleetwood Mac. I was brought up on Rumours etc. and have all their albums released since their 1975 self-titled 'Fleetwood Mac' LP.

Two albums of theirs that are well underrated in my opinion are their 1990 'Behind the Mask' release and their 1995 'Time' album has some good stuff on it too.

nsherin, Feb 25, 2004
  16. jimmymcfarrell

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yeah - it IS normally print through, but it can be down to the pressing as well (my Whitesnake 1987 does it at the start of "Still of the night", and that was from a digital master so that cuts out print through).

Muppet Show Volume One is fairly bad for print through as well - he he.

If you listen to "Stereotypes" on The Great Escape by Blur (CD version), you can hear print through on the very brief break in the middle - mainly only via headphones, but it's there.

domfjbrown, Feb 25, 2004
  17. jimmymcfarrell

Nsherin:

I was listening to an early "Best Of" - I've never seen any studio albums from the Peter Green line up on vinyl at sensible prices, so I have to make do with a couple of best ofs.
    Is "Then Play On" a studio album or a compilation? I thought PGs line up only made 2 or 3 albums, yet there seems to be millions of compilations, live stuff, rarities etc around (no bad thing IMHO). As for post 75 Mac, I can see why fans of PG don't like them, personally I think Rumours is really good (its the only album I've got by that line up) - I've heard Tusk and that sounded good as well.
    I can't fairly comment on anything else, from what I've heard they got fully into sounding 80s, like all bands in the 80s, so I wouldnt like it. That "80s sound" (reverb drums etc) makes me cringe!
    I think Fleetwood Mac deserve more recognition than they get, for being one of the best 60s era Blues bands, and one of the best mainstream 70s bands, and changing so drastically without losing any credibility - and its good to see Peter Green's still going strong (despite a spell of madness a few years back)!!!!

jimmymcfarrell, Feb 25, 2004
  18. jimmymcfarrell

domfjbrown:

It must change from pressing to pressing as well, just listened to my copy of 1987 and there's no ghosting on the record - the recording quality is a bit odd though. The cymbol on "Still of the Night" is really loud - maybe the wonders of digital recording meant Whitesnake thought they had to fiddle with the sound just for the sake of it (they certainly don't crank up the cymbol when you hear them do it live!).
    Oh yeah...Exeter - not quite Cornwall: you're at a safe distance compared to me; I've only got to open my window and it feels like I'm on a farm!

19. jimmymcfarrell

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

'Then Play On' is a studio album. HMV had a 'Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac' for about £8.99 last time I looked, which seemed to have all the hits from that era. Might be one to get, I think.

Mirage was their first album from the 80s (1982, IIRC). Still one of my favourite albums today.

nsherin, Feb 25, 2004
  20. jimmymcfarrell

As I said I can't comment, but I adamantly don't like anything that sounds "80s" - personal taste, narrow minded, I know but I dont care!!!!!

Ask a Question