Vinyl reacquaintance

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jackthebiscuit, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

My life long affair with audio has taken a somewhat retro turn, and I've bought myself a turntable, an SME 10 (used, or I'd have had the dealer answer the below!) The intention is to build up a really decent analogue front end.
    Being relatively inexperienced in this field, I'm looking for advice, primairily on a decent phono stage, and am unsure what real world benefits I would achieve if I bought, for sake of argument a Trichord Diablo as opposed to a Dino - that kind of difference. I'm not just considering that brand, more using it as an example.
    Arm wise, I hope to use an Origin Live Encounter or Illustrious (though I would love to know whether a Rega RB1000 would be a viable alternative) and cartridge, possibly a Shelter.
    Any views, opinions or advice would be greatly received.

Cheers
    JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Aug 25, 2005
  2. Jackthebiscuit

griffo104

Not thought about using an SME arm in an SME deck ??

I have a Dino+ and I'm very happy with it but from what I've heard the Diablo is a serious step up from the Dino+ especially if you go for the 'never connected' PSU option.

If you can afford it and don't mind importing in from the US the Sutherland battery powered phono has had very good reviews and looks very interesting - keep looking at that one myself. It costs $3000 so may be out of your range but bear in mind the $ to £ conversion.

The Shelters get very good reviews but I haven't heard one yet myself - I've just moved to Lyra carts which I'm very happy with at the moment.

If you have an SME 10 and are looking to get a top of the range OL arm then a decent cart and phono are essential IMO.

There is a guy on PFM doing a serious assessment of loads of phono stages at the moment may be worth having a look at that thread and see what he comes up with.

griffo104, Aug 26, 2005
  3. Jackthebiscuit

Dick Bowman

There seems to be something of a "conspiracy of silence" in the printed media about Shelter cartridges - whether this has anything to do with their non-advertising I have no idea. Equally there seem to be elements of boosters and denigrators online.

I bought a 501 (from EIFL - they seem sound) a couple of years back, very happy with it. Walrus mention Shelter in their ads, might be worth checking them out for opinion and price (but I've found Walrus' opinions a bit "flexible" in the past).

Dick Bowman, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Jackthebiscuit

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

just a question of preference at the end of the day :)

If it were my cash, I'd put an SME arm on too. A 309, or a IV or V if I could afford it.

If you have to bring your cart + phono stage budget down to say £400, could you do it then?

bottleneck, Aug 26, 2005
  5. Jackthebiscuit

griffo104

You're just reading the wrongs mags.

The Absolute Sound has raved about the 501 and 901, Michael Fremer reviewed ALL the Shelter carts in his column in Stereophile about 3 months or so ago and RSF reviewed the mono 501 (I think) in Hifi+ recently.

All got glowing reviews especially the 501 due to what was regarded as excellent vfm.

griffo104, Aug 26, 2005
  6. Jackthebiscuit

grivois

Shelter 901

I'm surprised Shelter cartridges aren't more popular with the UK flora, when you consider that their designer is none other than Yazuo Osawa, who was the head cartridge designer at Fidelity Research.

I'm using a Shelter 901 with a Kuzma Stogi/Stabi, and its phenomenal. I've owned/heard many cartridges at this price point, but none have as many of the attributes of the 901: great vfm, c €950 in europe ($700 in Japan); bass is deep, very fast and tight; midrange is magical in a Koetsu-like way; treble is detailed, yet sweet without being syrupy; low surface noise; not too fussy about loading; isn't easily broken; does a good job playing mono stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
    grivois, Aug 30, 2005
Ask a Question