Vinyl ripped to 24/96 digital format - beat the loudness war?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by daws0n, Jan 2, 2009.

1. daws0n

daws0n

I spent a couple of hours yesterday looking for new music when I stumbled upon this interesting concept... People using high end TT setups and ripping their audiophile grade/"best of pressing/master of xxxx" vinyl to 24/96 loseless files. I decided to check out a few releases to compare to my CD copies -

Radiohead - Ok Computer / The Bends / Amnesiac
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    White Stripes - Ickly Thump
    Jeff Buckley - Grace
    Led Zeppelin - I
    Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

I let these d/l over night and have spent the morning listening to snippets. Impressions are mixed between albums - the radiohead and buckley albums sound much like the cds - however the zeppelin and sabbath albums sound excellent. Cymbals and drums are more pronounced and they recordings are a lot punchier than the remastered cds I own.

A special mention goes to the White Stripes albums which sounds stunning compared to the cd. After reading up on it the CD was very poorly mixed with lots of clipping and distortion (it does sound shite IMO), where as the record is far more clear and defined. Far too many modern albums are getting poor treatment like this on cd, at least this is one way of getting around it!

Has anyone else tried a vinyl rip vs original CD comparison? Am interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Dawson

daws0n, Jan 2, 2009
  2. daws0n

Seeker_UK

Silly question:

Your media player supports 24 bit?

Seeker_UK, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question