Vinyl-sales-at-their-highest-for-12-years

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Labarum, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Labarum

Labarum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...inyl-sales-at-their-highest-for-12-years.html

Well I am not one of those that had added to the statistics.

And yes, I know, there are friends in the place and elsewhere that will tell me that I have no soul!

A nicely engineered turntable is a joy to behold, but I have no desire to own one.

Good luck to those that do.

(Interesting that the story should be thought worth reporting in the Telegraph.)

Labarum, Oct 17, 2013
  2. Labarum

RobHolt Moderator

I buy almost exclusively old vinyl.
    Lots of stuff out there never transferred to CD, or not transferred sympathetically so that a good vinyl cut sounds better.

I'm sure the current surge is just that vinyl is fashionable in the same way that we get shorts periods of time when people exclaim that 'the 80s or 70s are back' - lasts a few years and then something else comes along.

At the moment it's cool to spin vinyl which brings in all sorts of people right a across the age spectrum, though focused on the young IMO. The real collector who'll still be buying and playing vinyl ten years from now is probably static in number, and little changed form a decade ago. That's the real market, and companies need to be wary of gearing-up for a market which is very possibly artificially inflated and can shrink as quickly as it grew.

RobHolt, Oct 17, 2013
  3. Labarum

Tenson Moderator

I wonder how much of that increase is down to streaming content getting people back into music listening.

Tenson, Oct 17, 2013
Ask a Question