Vinyl to CD service?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by LinearMan, Jul 13, 2006.

1. LinearMan

LinearMan

Hi,

I have some LPs that I'd like transferred to CD. Now, I could go and buy a turntable and recorder and muck about doing it myself. But I have neither the time nor inclination so to do (I gave up my turntable some while back, but I do have about 50 albums that I'd like to enjoy again).

Does anyone know of any outfit offering such a service or would any ZG member like to undertake the task (for suitable recompense, of course)?

Thanks

LinearMan, Jul 13, 2006
  2. LinearMan

artist

selfidges in london have a service for vinyl to cd transfer

artist, Jul 13, 2006
  3. LinearMan

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I can't say I know of anyone doing this (but if Selfridges do, fair enough). However I can't imagine it would be cheap.

Transport of heavy records to wherever, recording in real time - with attention needing to be paid as there is a lot more could go wrong than a CD rip. 50 albums is likely over 50 hours work - admittedly a facility might be doing loads in parallel. And then trasnport 50 albums back again.

Let us know if it proves otherwise eh :)

Uncle Ants, Jul 13, 2006
  4. LinearMan

Anex Thermionic

I do a bit of business doing this, through friends of friends and so forth. 50 albums is a BIG job though, I usually only do one or two at a fiver a disk as it takes quite a long time.

Unless it is something its usually much easier to find someone with a digital copy and get them to burn it for you or look on amazon market place, ebay and so forth to get a cheap copy. There are people on the web that do it but they charge £10-15 ish per disc.

Anex, Jul 13, 2006
  5. LinearMan

LinearMan

Trouble is that the albums in question are very difficult to find (if not impossible) in digital format ~ if itproves ridiculously impractible/expensive then I'll just bite the bullet and buy the equipment, take my time recording and then re-sell the equipment.

LinearMan, Jul 13, 2006
  6. LinearMan

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

A while ago I thought doing this kind of stuff seriously, I figured the only way you can actually offer quality and solidity of the work would cost way too much on a recording by recording basis (I don't work for less than £ 30 an Hour) with each LP taking over an hour (more if noise cleanup is included).

The way I figured one MIGHT make this work is to keep a library of transcriptions and in effect transcribe each title once and provide multiple copies drawn from this. That all of this of course violates copyright scuppered it good.

I suggest you get a 2nd Hand Technics 1210, a Denon DL-103R pickup and a NAD PP-2 Phono and a suitable PC/Laptop Audio card with good A2D converters and do it yourself. You should be able to sell of the Technics without major loss and probably get a third back on Cartridge and maybe halve on the Phonostage. At least you will know to what standards the transfer work was done and you might be able to use 24Bit/88.1KHz originals and later downconvert them to 16/44.1Khz with suitable gainscaling and SSRC to get minimal loss in quality.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 13, 2006
  7. LinearMan

zygote23

Surely it would be nearly as good to source the cd's online or bit the bullet and go the MP3/4, Ogg, flac way and download them.

We do sometimes transfer vinyl to PC here but it's usually nosebleed techno and we don't bother with too much clean up. We use the Technics 1210 dj gear with some pretty crappy carts and software called Audacity.

zygote23, Jul 13, 2006
  8. LinearMan

Anex Thermionic

You can keep them if you own a copy of the disc. I do this when its something I already have, no point doing it twice. I just keep a library of wave files on a few hard disks for whenever I may need them.

Anex, Jul 13, 2006
  9. LinearMan

Where's the wash your mouth out with soap and water smiley (joking). Seriously though he did say they were next to impossible to get on CD.

I do a fair bit of it myself and find it fun, Its not time consuming for me really as its just a case of remembering to get the recording software going before listening to an album in my office .... Linearman, what sort of rare stuff is this?

Uncle Ants, Jul 13, 2006
  10. LinearMan

zygote23

Yea let us know what it is you are wanting to tranny ;) who knows we may be able to source some of it for you.

zygote23, Jul 13, 2006
  11. LinearMan

Baudrillard

This SRC looks interesting:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/

But you only need it if you intend to keep high resolution copies as well as make CDs. If you just want CDs, then it might be OK just to record in 44.1.

Baudrillard, Jul 14, 2006
  12. LinearMan

ListeningEar

I offer this service myself but it's not a simpe process as not only do you obviously have to spend the time playing the vinyl in it's entirety to record it but there is also the issue of any cleaning with the Pro Audio software.

I try to remove and surface noise that occurs and depending on how old/well the records have been looked after will depend upon how long it takes.

There is a standard copying cost for vinyl that can not be sourced elsewhere but should the sound file need extensive cleaning then that will boost the cost up.

I currently run this service for DJ's and collectors who can not source deleted and hard to tfind vinyl.

I also offer a full record cleaning service on my Nitty Gritty Pro machine with anti-static inner sleeves.

ListeningEar, Jul 14, 2006
  13. LinearMan

I don't bother with this myself, but then most of my records are in good nick. Doesn't the process of removing surface noise do more harm than good? That's an honest question to a practitioner not a dig btw :)

Uncle Ants, Jul 14, 2006
  14. LinearMan

taz

what about copyright ? I mean ok doing it for yourself at home but to do it commercialy and keeping copies hmmm you could end up in trouble maybe?

taz, Jul 14, 2006
  15. LinearMan

hi,

3DSonics, Jul 14, 2006
  16. LinearMan

Baudrillard

T, not everyone would agree that going into super high sample rates is a good thing. Dan Lavry (maker of Lavry high end AD/DA converters) here argues that anything over 60/70 KHz is overkill (although concedes that 88/96, despite faster than the optimal rate, is an OK compromise)

"......all the objections regarding audio sampling at 44.1KHz, (including the arguments relating to pre ringing of an FIR filter) are long gone by increasing sampling to about 60KHz".

http://lavryengineering.com/forum_images/Sampling_Theory.pdf

Baudrillard, Jul 14, 2006
  17. LinearMan

Hi,

It depends.

I am familiar with Lavery's work.

Yet work by Oohasi (and others) suggest that supersonic frequencies, while not heard in any concious way (eg. in the test the subjects failed to HEAR according to the DB Test results the effects of extended HF content past 20KHz) they appear to affect the unconcious and the brainwave patterns severely (eg. in the test a near perfect correlation well past .05 confidence level was established between brain activity and present/absent supersonic content.

This suggests that a bandwidth greater than 20KHz is desirable and that HF effects at frequencies higher than those suggested by Lavery may make an impact, unconciously, on our perception of music.

From that angle, in the day of dirt cheap 300GB Hard Drives and excellent pro-audio recording interfaces for PC's it seems poorely defensible to NOT record at the highest sample rate and wordlength, even if the final release is aimed at a lower grade medium.

It is always easy to throw information that is unwanted or cannot fit the available dataspace on the release medium (as long as sample rate have integer relationships), on the other hand it is impossible to recreate what is lost.

BTW, I have previously theorised that what "Non-Os" DAC's perform, which normal ones do not, is to give a reasonable facsimile of the supersonic content normally expected in music, through the release of the first image (22Kz - 44KHz band) an effect similarly observed with Wadia Digimaster, Denon Alpha Processing and Pioneer Legato Link.

Of course, "Non-Os" DAC's have other effects, such as the application of a accuratly level dependent super sonic dither which linearises the DAC and of course, possible unwanted sideeffects when used with certain electronics have their own dangers and thus are hardly the universal panacea some make them out, but there are many unique issues here.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic digression.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 14, 2006
  18. LinearMan

KASH

Hi T

I interested in the above information, can you direct me to a thread/link that would shed more light on this subject?

Thanks

KASH, Jul 14, 2006
  19. LinearMan

3DSonics, Jul 14, 2006
  20. LinearMan

KASH

Thanks T!:D

KASH, Jul 14, 2006
Ask a Question