Vinyl to CD service?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by LinearMan, Jul 13, 2006.

1. LinearMan

Anex Thermionic

You can't keep copies. I said that above

Anex, Jul 14, 2006
  2. LinearMan

ListeningEar

The removal of surface pops and clicks if using filters in packages like Cool Edit Pro will indeed affect the quality of the recording.

I do it the tedious way by magnifying the waveform view and finding the exact pot the pop and click occurs and cutting out of the waveform. This does not affect the qaulity at all.

As for records being in great condition, I am sure that many LP fans try to do their best to keep vinyl in the best condition but in my experience there is no such thing as a perfect cut record (even though I have a few of those by name).

ListeningEar, Jul 16, 2006
  3. LinearMan

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

I had the same task 2 years ago, in regards to Vinyl that can't be purchased on CD. It really depends on how much time you're willing to put into it. My set up was average, but good enough to show off a good pressing. I used to use a REGA P3 into a Project Phone Box then run it direct into the Audio IN's of my Phillips CDR 880 Recorder, I would capture to Vinyl to CD-RW, then load the CD-RW into Adobe Audition 1.5 "Cool Edit".then just like "Listening Ear" would play with the Wav File and clean it up etc on the PC.
    Of course it depends on a number of factors, can you be bothered, and time! as you can loose 3 to 4 Hours working on a LP depending on the noise levels.
    Perhaps it would be faster just to record direct to CD-R, with all the clicks,noise etc. Then you could take your time, when your ready learn and play about with audio software.
    One thing for is sure, if you employ someone to do the work, it will cost you a packet,simply due to the amount of labour envolved, on the upside, you should be able purchase most equiment on the cheap, and sell it back on.
    Good luck in your quest,and if you need any advice in regards to Audio Software just PM me.

STELLABAGPUSS, Jul 16, 2006
  4. LinearMan

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

I do pretty much the same method as Stellabagpuss, but only for albums that I really want put onto CD. Most of the time, I simply record straight to MiiniDisc and live with the odd cracikle, as track splitting on MiniDisc is a doddle and it's normally for portable use only.

I managed to bag my Philips CDR760 deck for about £60 out of the Fridayads including postage/packing from a chap up in Beford.

nsherin, Jul 16, 2006
  5. LinearMan

LinearMan

Thank you all for your replies ~ very interesting and a good example of how a forum can work well. Sorry not to have responded before, but I've been away for a while on a business trip.

With all the tips and knowledge in the thread, I've decided to do the transfer myself ~ it'll be a good learning process for me.

Thanks again.

LinearMan, Aug 7, 2006
  6. LinearMan

Baudrillard

It would be interesting to hear how you get on with it- what method you use with what equipment and software- and if you are happy with the results. :cool:

Baudrillard, Aug 7, 2006
  7. LinearMan

kt66

I offer this service and have done so for people on other forums.

I have access to a Keith Monks record cleaning machine.

Then I transfer from LP12/EKOS/Lyra Clavis DC/Linto to Traxaudio CD recorder using TDK CDR- for audio. No PC's involved at all.

I'm in SE London.

send me a PM
    or email me [email protected] if you are intrested.

kt66, Aug 7, 2006
Ask a Question