Vinyl vs. CD @ HD. Score sheets and music from A.C.A.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by skaloumbakas, Oct 2, 2008.

1. skaloumbakas

skaloumbakas

Hi,

Probably the most favourite subject between audiophiles around the world is the on-going "fight" between analogue and digital. Since the introduction of the CD in 1982 and after some years of the digital predominance, digital seems to have hit the technological roof and analogue is making a strong come back in the last 10 years. Personally all over these years I have made my comparisons with various material and I have concluded them in a paper at http://aca.gr/rec05_skal1.htm

But some people were telling me that my old Wadia 8/15 pair was technologically outdated and so the comparison was not fair, so I decided to organize in my listening room a blind test between a top digital (whatever that means...) and my analogue gear, with lots of people invited...

See the rest of this very interesting IMHO story here:

- http://aca.gr/event08-9.htm (with lots of pictures and 10 videoclips covering the event).

I hope you enjoy it...

skaloumbakas, Oct 2, 2008
  2. skaloumbakas

The Devil IHTFP

Fantastic. Great stuff. Have you done this sort of thing in the past? If so, do you have any other links to previous Audiophile events in or near Athens, and with similar videos?

Regards,

The Devil, Oct 3, 2008
  3. skaloumbakas

lbr monkey boy

Very interesting. Out of (genuine) interest, have you done an analysis of the results to determine if they are statistically significant, either in the main or in part?

lbr, Oct 4, 2008
  4. skaloumbakas

skaloumbakas

skaloumbakas, Oct 4, 2008
  5. skaloumbakas

skaloumbakas

On top of that...

Years ago, I had the listening experience with the following CD's (I supose you have heard them...) and not with my current analogue set-up...

I had those records in CD's and when came in my hands the vinyl pressings, I immediately exchanged them with the vinyls...

[​IMG]

They are 16 bit - linear cuts, as I read on the records' cover technical notes... I have an explanation why this is happening... but I would prefer to ask if any other fellow had the same experience with me with digitally remastered LPs...

Off course they generally sound inferior to full analog mastered recordings, that's obvious...

Analogue sound is not simply different. It is better, MUCH BETTER, CHAOTICALLY, MORE REALISTIC, MORE LIVE.

Digital as far accurate music reproduction for me is finished, especially after this test we did!

BTW, see what A.C.A. ia all about:

[​IMG]

skaloumbakas, Oct 4, 2008
  6. skaloumbakas

The Devil IHTFP

My Greek is a little imperfect, but is it "hands up who wants to go to the pub instead" in "Mercury"?:

The Devil, Oct 4, 2008
  7. skaloumbakas

SMEagol Because we wants it...

TQi tone arm, I loves it I does... deffo a keeper. :)

Had some Chopin on tonight, I felt like one of Harry and Pauls Scaffolders.

(seriously in to it, aren't they, this Greek crowd) I've seen them on other forums and the serious wad they spend too...

SMEagol, Oct 4, 2008
  8. skaloumbakas

skaloumbakas

This is the start of the scoring procedure when people are still confused:

- Leader (the guy sitting in front) changing inputs and raises his finger.
    - people scoring on the scoresheet...

We went to the bar afterwards... :p

skaloumbakas, Oct 5, 2008
  9. skaloumbakas

nando nando

i think,"for al is worth" as an ex-sound engeneer for island records, analogue was and still is in my point of view the best ropruction of recorded sounds, but it is also left to the individual to what he or she preffers as to the sound that systems reproduce, we all hear things different, vinyl to me will always be my best pleasure, the rest covinience and cheap.
    nando.

nando, Oct 5, 2008
  10. skaloumbakas

jack wallst Audio equipment fan

It is encouraging that analogue has made a great comeback after the onslaught by the digital format. I personally like the analogue as they are more lively and realistic.

jack wallst, Oct 7, 2008
  11. skaloumbakas

Think about all the electronic circuits, staged power supplies, chips and processing you have to employ in a CD player, theres something of an elegant simplicity to vinyl, a directness, no ones and noughts to decode on the fly. I like the tangibility of vinyl and the artwork, it has a ritual which nerds like me quite enjoy, I find CD a bit cold... and yes I am rather biased. (no pun)

SMEagol, Oct 7, 2008
  12. skaloumbakas

"In listening to sound, I guess what I'm after is the closest thing that I can get to reality. Now, I know it's not going to be reality, cause the thing gotta go through wires and gotta go through filters and this and that. But what I really like is to get as close to the natural sound of the instruments as possible. That's why I like analog as opposed to digital. Because I don't give a *** what anybody tells you man, I know what you guys are going to tell me...'Oh yeah, but it's clean Ray!' Well it's clean but it don't got no balls!!!" - Ray Charles

SMEagol, Oct 10, 2008
  13. skaloumbakas

lbr monkey boy

Couldn't have put it no better myself!

lbr, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question