Virtual bake-off - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jul 15, 2009.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

I'm not doing all of them!

The Lathed CD project has started and Lee is preparing some discs and posting them to me for upload. I don't use a CD player these days but have a trusty Meridian 206 that will be pressed into service as a transport.

I'll do a tube rolling one as well, but we need volunteers for the other stuff.

RobHolt, Jul 21, 2009
  2. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Received the CDs from Lee today so I'll get them uploaded, either later this evening or Sunday.

RobHolt, Jul 24, 2009
  3. RobHolt

Dev Moderator

I'll volunteer for a couple (TVC v passive pre +DACs) if you enlighten me on what to do.

Dev, Jul 24, 2009
  4. RobHolt

scott_01

Simon

I agree this would be the best way of comparing*. Unless Headphones are used, and the same pair for everyone then a virtual bake-off only gives a fraction of the impression you get once room interactions are figured in.

That said nothing is perfect and it's an interesting exercise, if like me (us) you are an audio / music geek.

I'll volunteer to do:

Denon DL103 vs Einstein TU2

on a Terminator 3 arm>SP10 MKII> Aqvox set-up. The only hiccup with this will be altering the gain settings on the phono stage. How do I ensure both carts are treated equally when both require different gain settings to get optimum sound stage?

If I ever get around to it then I'll try to do:

Terminator vs EPA100 vs DV505, all with the same cart.

*If you fancy trying this out round mine one day then drop a line. We could record the effects of 8 seperate bass traps and also carry out simultaneous ETF measurements.

scott_01, Jul 26, 2009
Ask a Question