Visit to chez Robs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, May 27, 2006.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Today I popped in to visit RobH, who was kind enough to let me have another listen to his system.
    I first met Rob last year when he bought my old Naim CD player. At the time he was running some big horn loaded Impulse H2 speakers on the back of a WAD integrated valve amp, my old Naim CDP and a Michell Gyrodec. Frankly I wasn't impressed at the time. Awesome dynamics, but could rip your ears off with no problem at all.

In the meantime, there have been a few changes, so I thought it would be good to have a second go. Wow, have they changed.
    Same speakers, these:
    [​IMG]
    The picture doesn't really do them justice for size. They also don't look as big as they are in real life. Standing at around 1.3m, they're probably 50cm deep. As a unit, they're 3 way horn loaded units, with a high efficiency, making it easy for even low powered SET amps to drive.

In practice, Rob is using a 40watt 6550 valve amp from a group called WAD. The valve power amp is on the far left of this shot:
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the kit is:
    Far left bottom - a record cleaning machine. Basically a hoover for LPs
    Middle Top - WAD pre-amp, PSU and phono stage
    Middle - Sony ES3000 CDP and my own Bel Canto DAC2
    Middle Bottom - Behringer 24 unit. Won't comment on this now, he Rob rates it and I'll be trying it out in my own system soon.
    Right Top - Micro Seiki record deck. Looks ancient, and it is, circa 1974
    Right middle - Accuphase tuner
    Right bottom - Record deck PSU and speed control box

Cutting to the chase, this system is as good in it's own way as any home system I've ever heard. It's simply so natural in it's style of presentation. What it doesn't do is "impress" with overblown bass or similar (though it can go down to 28hz with no problems, as demonstrated on one track).
    The presentation is also different to most, giving the feeling that you're in a fairly large hall/concert room, and a third of the way back into it. If you've heard other good systems, you'll know what I mean. Naim sticks you next to the stage, with the band at the front. My own is a small jazz bar, this puts you further away and whilst still having stunning dynamics, doesn't make you run for cover.

As the speakers are unchanged, I'm guessing the biggest improvement has been with the new pre-amp, which is rather special. Some other interesting comparisons. I was rather impressed with the Sony ES unit, which got quite close to my BC DAC in many ways, but blew it at the last minute by having overblown mid bass, and simply not being able to sound as natural and fun over longer periods of time. Whilst the Sony was heavily modded, these units are pretty cheap to buy, so for VFM, it's good stuff.
    The Micro-seiki still managed to make my DAC sound broken. This deck is a good 30 years old, but has a nearly new SME arm and Lyra Argo catridge (just don't ask the cost of either). There was simply no discernable noise from the deck through the system (something most decks suffer from to differing degrees) and it really did bring to life music from a variety of records that Rob played. Just joyous to listen to. As for surround sound, well one of the albums played was a 1958 mono LP with Ella on it, made every home cinema system I've ever heard sound completely pants. Should sound even better with a dedicated mono cartridge. Rob already has the cartridge, just waiting for a second arm to mount it on.

The other stuff we did have a quick play with was the power lead for my DAC, which is a Zanash unit. We tried running Rob's WAD pre with it, and there was clearly a discernable improvement. Personally I though that it cleared up some of the "bass bloom" and tidied things up. Rob can probably add to this.

So all in all, a damn good afternoon and music listening.

Hopefully I'll get to try the Behringer in the next couple of weeks in my own system. It's meant to be able to bugger about with the sound of a system to wipe out some of the peaks that room nodes can create. As it costs peanuts (in the context of expensive systems) and can be run in purely the digital domain (if sited between CD transport and DAC), could be interesting.

So thanks for a great afternoon Rob. Hope to see you soon down here in Docklands.

Mr_Sukebe, May 27, 2006
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Tenson Moderator

Nice write up!

I'll be interested to hear what Rob thought of the power-cable. It will also be interesting to see what you think of the DEQ2496. I'll be trying my fully modded DEQ against a BelCanto DAC 2 in a month or so.

Tenson, May 27, 2006
  3. Mr_Sukebe

RobHolt Moderator

The power cable:

Statement

It is with deepest regret that I must confess to having toyed, albeit briefly, with w@nky power cables.
    In a moment of of madness and temporary insanity I admitted to proclaiming said cables produced a tighter bottom end.
    I would like to apologise for the distress and trauma caused to my colleagues, friends and most importantly my family who have pledged to support me through this difficult period.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I though I heard a tad more punch and grip in the bass using Pete's power cable on the Pre. Mind you it was a lot thicker than the standard cable and heavily screened so if there was any difference there will be a perfectly rational explanation ;)

The system is evolving nicely and Mike was the first to hear it following replacement of all the electrolytics with Black Gates which have certainly brought a more relaxed presentation and pushed the listener back a few rows. No bad thing with the rather lively H2s.

The Bel Canto was interesting to hear. I thought it was pretty evenly matched against the integrated Sony. The Sony does have some bass lift but that is a function of one of it's filter options which puts a simple analogue filter on the output and removes the conventional brickwall. It loosens the sound, widening the soundstage and improving flow but seems to lift bass a tad in the process. The other options (4 of them) can be used if you want a ruler flat response.

As for the Micro, well Mike yes it makes CD sound broken which is why you need one! ;)

PS: Jesus Mike, what did you use to compress those pics, a steamroller? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2006
    RobHolt, May 27, 2006
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Tenson Moderator

Its the turn-table pixies, they come out in the night and break the CD player you see... they are the hippy relatives of the Borrowers who never got 'a real job' like the ones who shuttle things up and down the information super highway then paste it on your screen

[​IMG]

Tenson, May 28, 2006
  5. Mr_Sukebe

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Nice one Simon ;)

In fact there are things that can be done to un-break CD. One of them is easy and cheap and has been widely commented on in these pages. Yes, Auric Illuminator.

If you have a high end CD system, then try to get to hear the effects of a Nespa Pro CD Finalizer, Bedini Ultraclarifier, Furutech RD-2, Audio Desk Sound Improver, better power cables, interconnects and speaker cables.

The very best TTs will still sound more natural but it is now possible to get CD very close.

technobear, May 28, 2006
  6. Mr_Sukebe

taz

ehh i remember my impulse H2's pure exctasy crumbs i do miss em they where fantastic with my audio innovations 1st pre and 2nd monoblocks I still think they are one of the best speakers I have heard fullstop.

taz, May 28, 2006
  7. Mr_Sukebe

So how did you come to this sorry state of no longer having them? :confused:

technobear, May 28, 2006
  8. Mr_Sukebe

felix part-time Horta

Tee hee, H2s rock ;)

Technobear - you're due a return a visit to Bath and I have a sufficiently open mind to try aforementioned foo-foo boxes if you'd have them in tow...

felix, May 28, 2006
  9. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

There's no secret formula or fairy snot for the power cable ....just good large conductors a decent set of plugs and a shield grounded at the wall......

Though I may have deoxited the plugs at some stage......

zanash, May 29, 2006
  10. Mr_Sukebe

Of the tweaks mentioned I only have Auric Illuminator and the cables in my possession. I'd like to hear these H2s.

Zanash - you omitted polished contacts. Out with the wire wool at once! :D

I've used twisting instead of shielding. Seems to work OK.

technobear, May 29, 2006
  11. Mr_Sukebe

taz

well technobear as they say all good things come to an end, divorce and illness i'm afraid saw the demise of the best system i have ever owned as things in life got better i started again but have never found that satisfaction with hifi that i once had. money is now tight again as i have other commitments wife kids etc so now i'm a diy modd freak and i must say that I am enjoying it somwhat. don't get me wrong i would love to have the money to go out and build a new system with about 12 - 15k to spend but that isn't going to happen. The bug has never left me since 1979 is there no cure ?

taz, May 30, 2006
  12. Mr_Sukebe

Dev Moderator

Ouch Taz, sorry to hear this. I liked Rob's H2s a lot. Perhaps a S/H pair?

P.S. There is no cure:D.

Dev, May 30, 2006
  13. Mr_Sukebe

Petergc

Taz
    I also had H2's with ASudio Innovations Ist Pre and 2nd Audio monoblocks. Front end was a Voyd/Cyalene Audionte IO.
    Never had anything better, but moving into smaller London flat/getting married put paid to it. I'm now probably just as happy with Wadia6 Proceed AVP2/AMP5 and Living Voice IBX's. Not as open and surrounding, but much more rhythmic and with really tight bass!!

Petergc, May 31, 2006
Ask a Question