VTA - is it audible?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Dec 1, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

From the editorial of the latest HiFi+ (issue 35) it seems that Roy Gregory has really got his panties in a bunch about "scientists" who not only claim that differences between amps and cables aren't audible but now, horror of horrors, that VTA isn't audible :D :rolleyes: .

Seems like he was rather upset by this article on TNT Audio by Geoff Husband. So upset that he threw a few legal punches which temporarily forced the article offline (see the postscript in the article) but thankfully it's now back up again and uncensored :) .

As for RG's editorial, it was the last straw for me after his so called blind cable test. He will shortly be receiving a letter from me. Whether he publishes it is another issue. If he doesn't then I'll publish it on the forum. Since RG has resorted to legal threats in an attempt to defend an indefensible position I won't quote any of the editorial here for potential breach of copyright reasons so you'll just have to buy the mag yourself (or read it in the newsagent :D ).

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 1, 2004
  2. michaelab

Mr.C

Right on Michael, I'm with you on this one!

Mr.C, Dec 1, 2004
  3. michaelab

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I've not read RG's response in HiFi Plush yet (I can just imagine though and look forward to it ;) ). Thing is Geoff Husband's article doesn't actually suggest that VTA is inaudible in the gross sense - just that small VTA adjustments are inaudible - his article is actually pretty convincing.

Uncle Ants, Dec 1, 2004
  4. michaelab

Saab

why 'so called',re his blind test? It was blind,or do you know something we don't? He could have ya for that thanos...........................

Saab, Dec 1, 2004
  5. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

sounds like RG needs some anger management.
    Maybe the threat of online freedom of speech is starting to have an effect?

penance, Dec 1, 2004
  6. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

The main problem with RG's editorial is that he didn't have the balls to reference the article he was attacking, let alone address any of the specific issues raised by Geoff Husband. It was a piece of sneering nonsense of the "I'm a golden-eared audiophile" variety.

Of course, Rega have said for years that VTA is a meaningless adjustment, there's an article by Roy Gandy where he describes it as a "neurosis". Perhaps RG should invite Husband and Gandy to contribute to a debate in the magazine, that's something I'd be happy to pay to read.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 1, 2004
  7. michaelab

merlin

The more I look into HiFi+ the more concerned I become about it's position :(

RG is good friends with the owner of Vpi, Harry Weisfeld or whatever. How can one be friends and remain impartial? What really interested me was that I recalled the review of the EAT KT88 Diamonds wwhilst thinking of upgrades. These valves were given a rave review and seemed a good shout for trying in the Mac.

So I went to their website here

The UK guys don't have a website, so I checked out the US supplier here

Read the page and see if you recognise the name of the distributor. For me, it kind of lowers my confidence in the impartiality of HiFi + reviews and puts me off a purchase.

merlin, Dec 1, 2004
  8. michaelab

Saab

actually,there have been several threads in Vinyl Asylum from Rega owners saying that when they set VTA to zero and use the back weight they get a noticable improvement in sound

Saab, Dec 1, 2004
  9. michaelab

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Saab,

I think you talking about VTF (Vertical tracking force) not VTA (Vertical tracking Angle).

Have a look on this thread for more details on VTA & SRA (Stylus Rake Angle).

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 1, 2004
  10. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

so , when you set the vta on an arm , you also adjust the sra at the same time , soo , unless you can adjust your stylus , your vta is your sra.
    how confusing is that eh?

rob, Dec 1, 2004
  11. michaelab

Saab

nope,this guy reckons disabling VTA on a Rega is a must,he then sets VTF by ear (i think he must have any fingers)

ps thanks for the link :)

Saab, Dec 1, 2004
  12. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

soooo , thinking about it , most arm alignment guages ive seen are straight lines that you aligne the top of the tone arm to to ensure its paralelle with the record which is wrong , its the cartridge that should be measured as most carts are different right?
    jeesus this gets confusing now.
    how do you know what angle to aligne your cart to?
    the stats on my cart say the Tracking angle is 20°, is this the carts vta?

rob, Dec 1, 2004
  13. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

Rega arms dont have a VTA adjustment, are you not thinking of anti skate?

penance, Dec 1, 2004
  14. michaelab

Saab

probably,

Saab, Dec 1, 2004
  15. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

do you think rega dont bother with vta to entice people to buy rega carts?

rob, Dec 1, 2004
  16. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

I think Rega just dont place much importance on it. They will supply spacing washers to use if your putting an RB on a different deck etc. If you want VTA then you need to look at aftermarket supplies.

penance, Dec 1, 2004
  17. michaelab

merlin

Well most Vpi arms have VTA adjustment but no real antiskate control :D

I reckon get the deck isolated and positioned well, get the tracking weight generally right, then make sure it's level, and finally listen to some friggin music.

But I fall into the category of little knowledge and disposable income so I guess I am ripe for Mr gregory's advice ;)

merlin, Dec 1, 2004
  18. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

Must admit, i never found anti skate critical. Ball park seems to do the trick, and i do it with a combination of test record and ear.

penance, Dec 1, 2004
  19. michaelab

wolfgang

Are we are refering to the blind comparison of a bunch of cables publish in the magazine last month? If it is then I am afraid after reading it IMHO I agree with Michael assessment. Is indeed badly design. Have you read it?

wolfgang, Dec 1, 2004
  20. michaelab

merlin

Badly Designed Wolfy? What do you mean? Not designed to disorientate and confuse the fukc out of normal human beings perhaps ;)

merlin, Dec 1, 2004
Ask a Question