wanted: Icon Audio stereo 40i

Wanted: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Bourney, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Bourney

Bourney

cash waiting :) must be in exc condition. will collect within reasonable distance.

Bourney, Nov 9, 2006
  2. Bourney

lordsummit moderate mod

I've got it's Chinese twin brother, a Ming-Da 40i with EL34's, tweaked by Audiolabs in Leeds, with rather nice NOS Mullard valves in the pre-amp stage and some spare Brimars so you can try tube rolling. I want £350 for it, I'll deliver it to you for that so long as you're where I think you are! When I asked Icon Audio what the differences were they wouldn't/couldn't tell me! Make of that what you will!
    There's a picture here. I suspect if you want a black cover you'd be able to get one from either Icon, or Ming-Da themselves for very little cost. This one came from Edenlake and is as far as anyone knows the only Gold one. It is immaculate and boxed
    [​IMG]

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2006
  3. Bourney

zygote23

I would indeed be a rather exceptionally angry man if I thought there was absolutely no difference between the Ming Da and the Icon Audio Stereo 40i Classic.

I love the sound it produces and I love it's looks but I paid 1K for it new a few months ago and If Ithought I could have saved the guts of £600 I would be spitting fire right now.

Surely if there is no real difference between the two there is a little misadvertising somewhere? No?

zygote23, Nov 9, 2006
  4. Bourney

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm sure the Icon has some differences, but whether those differences are in the audio circuits or alternatively the biasing and protection circuits are a moot point.
    I asked Icon what the differences were, and they would not tell me, this was at the last Manchester show. Now if your product was significantly different and better wouldn't you be singing like a canary?

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2006
  5. Bourney

zygote23

This is true lol tweet tweet. Now I'm considering buying the ming da valve phono stage as I've seen it for £299 delivered. Any thoughts?

Oh sozfor the thread hijack.

zygote23, Nov 9, 2006
  6. Bourney

Bourney

no probs..carry on :) im learning from your chatter anyway.

LS im very interested, can you mail me on [email protected]

Bourney, Nov 9, 2006
  7. Bourney

lordsummit moderate mod

Will do. I can't do it until tonight as I'm at work and I can't abuse the work email, and all others are barred!!!
    If you want I'll ring you, I'm home about 6.30, if you PM me your number.
    The Ming-Da is supposed to be great. Ask Jonathan Ribee over at PFM. It's what he chose after a long and exhaustive search

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2006
  8. Bourney

Bourney

ibe pm'd you my numbers, whereabouts are you LS?

im in stoke on trent.

Bourney, Nov 9, 2006
  9. Bourney

lordsummit moderate mod

I'm in North Manchester, but I work near the Trafford Centre, so could easily get to you.

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2006
  10. Bourney

zygote23

zygote23, Nov 12, 2006
  11. Bourney

Bourney

ive bought a Ming Da EL34 integrated..just have it running in now...for the money i dont think there is anything i have heard to touch it. i do think the icon audio i borrowed is better to be honest tho but there isnt much in it..its shockingly good!!the icon has maybe a bit more grip at the bottom end..but its very very close. i think ill be still looking out for an icon as this one only has 2 inputs and i will need 3 in the near future so this one will be available shortly for just shy of 300 quid if its of any interest to any of you guys :)

Bourney, Nov 12, 2006
  12. Bourney

lordsummit moderate mod

Ah my minger had 4!! I think that wound up in Stoke too. The differences you describe could well be down to tubes. what has your's got in it?

lordsummit, Nov 13, 2006
  13. Bourney

Bourney

bugger!! lol

i nothing about valves, ime being sent the details thro this week. i believe they are `big bottle chinese ones' ????

its a learning process this and this valve amp game is a right minefield of variables man!!

Bourney, Nov 13, 2006
  14. Bourney

lordsummit moderate mod

You'll find that playing with the little valves at the front make the biggest changes. The two on the outside (If it's a 34A) act like tone controls, you can warm the sound up, or on the other hand make it more detailed by playing with the valves here. In the middle they act as phase splitters, you need the best measuring valve you can find here, that way the amp is putting out the best signal.
    The Chinese valves are ok, personally I liked the Golden Dragon EL34's, very valve like (they're rebadged GEC's I believe) Lots of other people like Svetlana's that may well perk it up for you.
    It also sounds like you've not got the exact model that the Icon is based on. There is a slightly lesser powered 34B and also a mark II with dodgy meters on the front!

lordsummit, Nov 13, 2006
  15. Bourney

Bourney

i have the 34b..what does this mean??

Bourney, Nov 13, 2006
  16. Bourney

lordsummit moderate mod

It's a trimmed down version, there aren't as many watts. I suspect the output transformers aren't as powerful.
    when I bought mine, the 34B was about £100 cheaper. I'm not sure it's got the posh bits like Black Gates and Alps Blue volume pots either.

lordsummit, Nov 13, 2006
Ask a Question