Wanted : Standmounters £500/£600

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by voodoo, Nov 27, 2003.

1. voodoo

dunkyboy

Mm, I used my ATC Active 10s on big heavy Target R6s (I believe), and they made a surprising difference over my previous stands (Atacama SE24s).

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 28, 2003
  2. voodoo

ANOpax ESL-Meister

Just adding my ha'p'orth.

If you get lucky, a s/h pair of Totem Model Ones could be within budget. I heard them at the Heathrow show (I know, I know, it's not ideal) on the end of some Rega gear and they were astounding.

I sure it goes against the laws of physics but they performed far better than their floorstanding bretheren, the Arro and Sttaf. The palpability of the sound and bass extension from such small boxes was amazing (it was rather fun watching the cone excursions during bass heavy passages though!).

I believe that the the European distributor, Joenit is just across the border in Belgium.

reg

ANOpax, Nov 28, 2003
  3. voodoo

joel Shaman of Signals

I'm not surprised. I think those Targets are the same model TonyL uses under his Harbeth Compact 7s.
    The best speaker-stand interface really is bluetack, too.
    For 500-600 you would be looking at a pre-loved pair of Harbeths. They may not be your cup of tea, but they are a reference (particularly in the mid-range) and are worth going out of your way to get a listen to.

joel, Nov 28, 2003
  4. voodoo

michaelab desafinado

I agree :) Apart from its sonic benefits it has (for me) the side benefit of making my speakers impossible to knock off the stands by one of our cats using them as a jumping platform :D

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 29, 2003
  5. voodoo

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I think mine are Target HJ15/3s or something like that – they are a very heavy welded / filled 3 pillar design that came with the C7s when I bought them second hand. There are no identification marks anywhere on the stand, but they look like this….

[​IMG]

This is a very speaker / stand specific thing – my C7s certainly sound far better on the stands above using Blu-Tac than with their top spikes, though with say Kans the situation is exactly the reverse. It seems to be that heavy massy stands prefer Blu-Tac and light open frame stands prefer spikes, though its always worth trying both approaches.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 29, 2003
  6. voodoo

Paul Ranson

Decent standmounters, £5-600, secondhand, an abundance of soft dome tweeters. Isobariks obviously!

Although perhaps not ideal with the Tact.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 29, 2003
  7. voodoo

voodoo OdD

Well, said main system has been moved and set up in the 'listening room' :).

Now, the original set up was firing across (not down) a room approx. 20' x 12' and provided a quite huge and expansive soundstage (although not very deep :( as the speakers were only 2' feet form the rear wall. ). That was with some B&W CDM7NT's.

The new set up is firing down a room 15'x 8' utilising a pair of B&W CDM2SE's (My rear surrounds) on some Partington stands.

Impressions ?

Well, I've tweaked with the speaker placement a few times having had them about 5' apart and 2' out at first, then right in the corners and now in the corners but with about 1' foot of breathing space. I re-measured the room (using the TACT) after each change of position and now have a pretty good soundstage (although nowhere near the expansiveness of that in the living room).

The weird thing is I have sooooooooo much bass :confused:. the TACT is excellent for removing room boom and giving great tight bass but now I have so much more weight and from smaller speakers. I've redrawn the target curves numerous times but, for me, there is just toooo much weight.

The room itself is obviously 'loading' much quicker than the living room and I'll have to keep on tweaking the speaker pos. and target curves. Both rooms are solid as f*ck due to good ol' euro concrete 'n' plaster construction. The sweetspot doesn't suffer as much but move out of it and the bass is too much. Mid-range is 'darker' with the CDM2's than the CDM7's and the top end is a little more restricted but slightly more detail (again, possibly the smaller room).

Speaker-wise, I'm waiting on my regular dealer getting back to me about part-exchange of some surplus gear I have. He has some Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk. II's on proMO at the MO (-20%) as they no longer stock AE gear so I may give them a try or some CDM1NT's (as per Julian's recommendation). If he'll take my surplus gear I may even go for some Nautilus 805's :MILD: . Metal tweeters I know !

Agin, cheers for the input. I'll keep y'all posted.

:D

voodoo, Dec 5, 2003
Ask a Question