'warbling' channel on vinyl

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muffinman, Apr 20, 2005.

1. muffinman

muffinman

i have just been listening to some records and noticed a lack of information in the left speaker. i swapped the speaker cables over and confirmed it's not them. i then put my hifi news test record on and sure enough, during the frequency checks, on the left channel there is a noticeable warbling, having trouble to hold a note.the other channel displays a clean sweep. the cart has had about 20hrs use. i'm using a ol silver 250 (rega in a jumpsuit) arm and dino+ phonostage. are there any vinyl boys who can give me some pointers please

muffinman, Apr 20, 2005
  2. muffinman

Anex Thermionic

Did you try swapping the arm leads to make sure it not the stage (seems unlikely but worth eliminating). Have you tried messing with the antiskate? Could turn it off and see if it helps

Anex, Apr 20, 2005
  3. muffinman

Mr.C

Try checking that your arm and cart is all precisely aligned, antiskate may well be worth experimenting with (a lot of people err on the side of less, often none at all). Also, may sure your TT is absolutely level - simple stuff I know but it can all make a huge difference, even small changes.

Mr.C, Apr 20, 2005
  4. muffinman

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Another stupid question, but have you tried cleaning the stylus? Even a small bit of gunk in the wrong place can cause one channel to go crappy. Funnily enough, it invariably seems to be the left channel that goes first - I suspect antiskate could be a lot of it.

BTW - is it harmful to run a TT without using antiskate? Surely it's there for a reason? I guess it helps prevent jumping?

domfjbrown, Apr 21, 2005
  5. muffinman

Anex Thermionic

Its there to counter the force of the needle being pulled in. You don't have to use it, depends on the arm as much as anything I think, can give better channel balancing.

Anex, Apr 21, 2005
  6. muffinman

muffinman

i've tried all the recommendations, i have yet to find my 'tiptonic'. the anti skate was set to 0. i moved it up to 3 and the issue i reduced somewhat. it may be that i have always had this problem but had not noticed until i played this particular lp. i'll give the needle a wipe down if i find my cleaning fluid, failing that i'l get some IPA. i'll let you know how i get on
    ta

muffinman, Apr 21, 2005
Ask a Question