Watts and Valves

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Sep 28, 2006.

1. johnfromnorwich

Anex Thermionic

Yes I pulled the PSU out of the main amp and stuck it in another box. Its on 3 phase cable because I need enough cores to carry the HT, heaters etc. etc. and it has to be something chunky to handle the voltages. Basically the psu and amp are hardwired together atm but to shift it I will need to seperate them (a better way of doing it anyway for the most part) but I never got round to fitting the socket to the psu so you'll need to do that. Its not a complicated job at all, you just need to check everything over to make sure before you hook up to go.

When your thinking of upgrading, PM me. I have an SE design you may like to try. Its easy on the ears and the wallet so a win win.

Anex, Sep 29, 2006
  2. johnfromnorwich

45dht

hi i'm using a kel84 at the moment and was thinking of upgrading. what se are you using now?

45dht, Oct 10, 2006
  3. johnfromnorwich

zanash

Current ........chunky enough to handle the current !!

You could use a multi pole plug and socket with a positive lock [bayonet ?] to improve flexibility. Or a xlr type with enough poles to do the same.

zanash, Oct 10, 2006
  4. johnfromnorwich

Anex Thermionic

No, voltage. There are plenty of high current options out there but far less high voltage. Like I said, I have a 3 phase plug and socket which does the job fine.

Anex, Oct 10, 2006
  5. johnfromnorwich

Anex Thermionic

Its a 6em7 based amp. I can PM you a link to the original circuit if you like but I don't have it here (work)

Anex, Oct 10, 2006
  6. johnfromnorwich

Richard Dunn

Basically because of who they have to work with as partners. Mostly acoustic suspension or ported reflex cabinets.

But watts are largely meaningless nonsense, double watts for 3db gain. So 2 to 4 watts means extra 3db and so does 50 to 100 watts. Non linear exponential curves always require a little latteral thought. Blame whoever designed the human ear :D

Richard

Richard Dunn, Oct 10, 2006
  7. johnfromnorwich

45dht

6em7? have not heard of that before what kind of tube is it?
    a link would be good if you can

45dht, Oct 10, 2006
  8. johnfromnorwich

Anex Thermionic

http://www.the-planet.org/6EM7.html

Thats where the idea came from, mine is different as I just built it out of what I had to hand. Basically the same though. Keep meaning to try his PSU circuit out as it looks right nice.
    6em7 is kind of like a 6SN7 and a 2A3 in one envelope (a 'dissimilar dual triode'). So you've basically got both of your amp stages in one tube. I got most of the info from some of the guys over on WAD so tbh I'm just faking knowing what I'm talking about :) Its easy to build though with a nice low component count.

Anex, Oct 10, 2006
  9. johnfromnorwich

45dht

that looks pretty easy all except the psu that is. i've tried to find some chokes with those specs but have found nothing with 12H@75ma390ohm dcr what psu are you using and where did the chokes come from? i'm definately interested in having a go at building one. is it a Directly Heated Triode then like a 2a3?

45dht, Oct 10, 2006
  10. johnfromnorwich

amir

Are you sure?
    i think it depend's frequency extension and harmonic structure.
    but i'm not sure

amir, Oct 13, 2006
Ask a Question