Way forward - Transport died

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Jan 8, 2009.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I've used a DVD player into a DAC as my main source for years now. However, the player seems to be on the way out.
    It may be fixable, and there are features I like about the player, but it's getting on a bit now and maybe it's time for a change anyhow.

So what to replace it with? For now I've just put another dvd player in its place.

First thoughts are a new player. I've not long bought a new TV, so something to make the most of that would be good.

I've not really paid attention to what's new for quite a while so any thoughts appreciated.

MO!, Jan 8, 2009
  2. MO!

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

Arlequen, Jan 8, 2009
  3. MO!

RDD Longterm Lurker

Is it just a DVD you wanted not a pure CD transport? If so you could probably do much worse than a Denon 2900 - built like a brick out house :) If it's a CD player there's a cracking Teac transport in the classifieds now for not much money!

Can't suggest much more but you don't say if you'll need anything like HDMI for your TV player?

RDD, Jan 8, 2009
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Sorry, I was quite vague.

I'll be looking for a one box solution for movies and music.

Don't really know much about what connections to use for the tv.
    Chances are I'll need a cable that's a few meters long though due to positioning.

MO!, Jan 8, 2009
  5. MO!

RDD Longterm Lurker

Righto, well if it's an LCD or Plasma chances are it'll have a HDMI input which you may as well make use of with something modern, perhaps even a Blueray player with HDMI and optical output for your DAC.

If it's a standard TV you've bought then my suggestion would still be the Denon :)

RDD, Jan 8, 2009
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

It's a panasonic plasma.

I assume blueray players are backwards compatible?

What about a PS3 as a dvd, cd source? I got a Wii for christmas, but see no digital outs on it. Quite suprised it doesn't seem to work as a DVD player either!

I intend on going the Squeezebox route when I've a computer up to it. But would still like a disc spinner.

MO!, Jan 8, 2009
  7. MO!

Jimbo

PS3 would be perfect as you can play Blu-ray movies. Although its only 720p i believe not full 1080p. If your plasma does not go to full 1080p then it wont matter. With the PS3 you of course have the game options so you have all your eggs in one Basket.

Jimbo, Jan 8, 2009
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm not big on games. But the option would be good if it's comparable to similarly priced stand alone player?

Firstly though, any thoughts of using it as a cd transport? Will it be ok to hook it up to my dac?

I believe my plasma is HD ready, rather than full HD.

MO!, Jan 8, 2009
  9. MO!

Jimbo

l don't have a PS3 so not sure whether it has a optical out or other. Perhaps someone who owns one can help you there. It does not matter about the full HD thing they are all compatible.

Jimbo, Jan 8, 2009
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hmmm....

My current set up is dvd into DAC for music, and into av processor for movies.

As Jimbo mentioned, does anyone know what digital outs the ps3 has?

Or am I sniffing along the wrong lines and should be looking alsewhere?

Also, what about noise from the machine itself? Are there any fan issues?

MO!, Jan 9, 2009
  11. MO!

RDD Longterm Lurker

This says it has one optical out http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm but I must say it's been hard to find!

Not sure about noise, could have a rummage about on t'internet to find that out from users :cool: I have heard that the PS3 can easily be seen as a cheap Blue-ray player rather than a pure games machine so I think you'd have all the bases covered with this (DVD, optical out and games). I was also quite disturbed to find the Wii can't play DVD's when we tried it the other day at a mates house :rolleyes:

RDD, Jan 9, 2009
  12. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Thanks.

So only one optical out... hmmmm...

Ideally I'm thinking I'd like more so I could connect to both the DAC and the AV processor.

Regarding the Wii, I took it as a given that it would play DVDs! Seems very strange for them to have not included it.

MO!, Jan 9, 2009
  13. MO!

sastusbulbas

Just get a reasonable Blue Ray player, many are offering good discounts at the moment, we have put a basic Sony into our work system with good results, though as the old surround amp we use does not have HDMI we are finding the analogue outputs are better for 5 channel surround than the RCA with Blue Ray movies.

It may not offer the best CD replay in comparison to some exotic machine, but does play CD, DVD, and Blue Ray. As you say you can run HDMI or such to the AV set up, and another output such as digital RCA into an external dac or such for stereo.

sastusbulbas, Jan 10, 2009
  14. MO!

nando nando

panasonic make an excellent blue ray dvd and a awesome transport, not that expensive at all,
    nando.

nando, Jan 10, 2009
  15. MO!

Labarum

I should buy a Squeezebox. Rip to FLAC and start streaming.

A`Squeezebox into a decent DAC is remarkable.

Labarum, Jan 11, 2009
  16. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

DO you know the model?

Squeezebox is the plan further down the line. FOr now I need an actual spinner though.

No rush as still recovering from chritmas and using a spare dvd player with ok results.

MO!, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question