well damn fedex

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lt Cdr Data, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

just got a customs invoice,

£50 the item cost me, from the good old US.

they want £10 for the taxman, and £4 for their clearance.

Anyone any idea on vat rules?

I have a big item on order, and I am NOT using fedex again for that.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 30, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

mr cat Member of the month

thjats seems to be the way it is - not just with fedex...

I think the value is 18 quid (about 40 USD) and you have to pay...tho, from my experience it seems to be a bit hit and miss...I've ordered CDs / dvds in the past and the postman takes em' to the post office where I have to stump up the cash...it's real sh*t tho...

I think they need to reivse the process now tho, as with the explosion of internet orders (compared to the mail order in the olden days!), a lot more items are coming from abroad now...

edit - some companies do however, markl the value at about $10 on the package to get around this (or even as a gift), but if it's a physically large package, then that maybe more tricky...

mr cat, Jun 30, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You can't blame FedEx for that one.

technobear, Jun 30, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Actually I think you've got off fairly lightly! £10 tax sounds about right (it's standard VAT plus a bit depending on what the item is). A handling charge of just £4 is cheapest I've heard of.

MartinC, Jun 30, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

avanzato

Fed-ex have to pay the duty to the gov and then Fed-Ex claim it back from you. Why does everyone bitch about duty, just factor it in to the cost of the item.

avanzato, Jun 30, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I am bitching because my cash will pay david blunkett 18,000 cos he left the cabinet only to get back in a few months later.
    that's why. my cash getting stolen by a lying thief

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 1, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

penance Arrogant Cock

Stil isn't the fault of Fed-Ex tho.

Winds me up just as much mate, but at the end of the you have to pay it or face court:(

penance, Jul 1, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

At the end of the day, if you buy anything from the US, you could be liable to tax and duty. That is how it is. It has been that way for a long time. You should always factor this in when buying.

Fedex always seem to charge you.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 1, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

Just bought a copy of Cubase SX 3 off eBay from someone who had their 'item location' as UK and it came from the US! It took 10days to get here and the postman then demanded £30 on the door! He didn't even email me to say it was shipping out.. the least he could do for a £350 bit of software. ****ing cheek! I ordered some memory for my laptop too and the item location said UK but I think its also coming from the US. I hope I don?t get taxed. These people are going to get some trouble.

haha.. it blocks the F word

Tenson, Jul 1, 2005
  10. Lt Cdr Data

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Isn't it time the US joined the EU?

7_V, Jul 1, 2005
  11. Lt Cdr Data

technobear Ursine Audiophile

:lol:

But which currency would we scrap - the dollar or the euro :confused:

technobear, Jul 1, 2005
  12. Lt Cdr Data

avanzato

Yes, but I tried changing that in the last couple of elections but not enough people agreed with me and they're still in charge.
    Fed-Ex etc. don't get paid by the Gov. for doing the Govs. work and collecting the taxes, that's why they charge you the handling fee. Which as has been pointed out is cheap, usually IME it's around £10 for other carriers.

avanzato, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Lt Cdr Data

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Customs is due on anything over about £18. The fact that one gets away with it occasionally doesn't make it one's right to not pay duty. One should be thankful for the ones that slip through than bitch about the ones that don't, is my advice

SteveC, Jul 2, 2005
  14. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

fedex submit EVERYTHING to customs so I am not using them again.

I accept the handling charges btw, no problem with that provided its not excessive.

Talk about petty, a $50 secondhand item vatted. Not like I am importing 1000s of dvd's.
    Like I said blunkett is a convicted liar and now a thief who has no place in public office, I am not funding that.

They want it asap so I will keep them waiting and waiting like they would do with me.

Additionally, customs are theives too, as I paid duty on something and returned it within days, yet still coudln't get my duty back. That's theft, so I am owed cash by the country.
    no arguing about that one. don't care for the rules, the rules are wrong.
    I wouldn't grumble so much if the system was reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2005
    Lt Cdr Data, Jul 2, 2005
  15. Lt Cdr Data

Tenson Moderator

The gov should tax you and tell you what its for, not tax you on everything they can with some stupid excuse. They need money to run the country but I don't like them taxing things because they need more money.. just say they need it and ask us to pay for the service or whatever they will provide with it.

Tenson, Jul 2, 2005
  16. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

agreed, esp with the london bid, that isn't what the poll tax is for, I would challenge that if I was a londoner, they can't jsut up the poll tax for the olympics.

Lt Cdr Data, Jul 2, 2005
  17. Lt Cdr Data

mick parry stroppy old git

Lt Cdr Data

If you really think you little bit of tax will rob David Blunkett of his lifestyle, then refuse to pay the tax.

Let the local newspaper know when you appear before the local magistrate so they can take a photo of your before you get fined about £100.00 for refusing to pay the original amount.

Of course, if you are really sincere, you can refuse to pay the fine and eventually you will probably do 7 days in the nick.

You will still even then have to pay the original tax, but not the fine.

We would then respect you for putting your money where your mouth is, but blasting off here achieves nothing and David Blunkett will still be enjoying his fine wines despite your rantings.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jul 2, 2005
  18. Lt Cdr Data

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Geez what decade are you in? the poll tax was 80's, think you'll find its Council Tax now. If you live in London, Tuff $h1t, sorry, but if your stupid enough to live there, you pay for it.
    But getting back to the point in importing stuff from USA, I got stung for £20 last time I did this, about 2 years ago, never have imported anything since, never worth it, but if your going to import stuff you will have to factor the UK's tax into your price. Oh and it doesn't go to one person, so leave David B. out of it, it goes to central government.

lhatkins, Jul 3, 2005
  19. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

Last time I looked lying was neither a civil nor criminal offence so I don't see how anyone can be "convicted" of lying.

As to being a thief, what has he stolen? It's unlikely to be a problem as I very much doubt he cares about this forum but you've libelled Mr Blunkett by calling him a thief.

It's not petty, it's the law and it applies equally whether you import one item or 1000s.

LCD - you need to take a chill pill :rolleyes: . If you don't like the way the government is running things then do something about it like running for office otherwise stop whinging about it :mad:

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 4, 2005
  20. Lt Cdr Data

Sid and Coke

The last time I got stung for customs the bit that bugged me the most wasn't the actual Tax that i had to pay, but the Post Office 'handling' ( or should that be drop kicking ;) ) fee's, which where more than the customs duty.

I now always expect to pay Customs duty and PO fee's and factor it in to my costs, if i don't get nabbed then i consider it a bonus.

Saying that an Item is UK based, then shipping it from USA is very naughty though. I presume you contacted the seller to confirm details beforehand when buying such a high value item off E-Pay ? a valuable lesson learnt.

Sid and Coke, Jul 4, 2005
Ask a Question