Well done Michealab...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Nov 18, 2003.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

For showing how a forum should be run. Its amazing how this forum is so much more reliable than Hifi Choice, a magazine with a wealth of resources with which they could make a decent forum, they fail time and time again with problem after problem.

So well done Mike, a one man show that shames the effort of a not particularly small magazine publishing company. They ought to be ashamed of their effort IMO.

I reckon I've had enough of it. Whats the point in participating in a forum where you can only get the page to load 10% of the time? :rolleyes:

PBirkett, Nov 18, 2003
  2. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

Yep, a good job well done.
    :respect: to Micheal and all who put into ZG

A virtual :beer: on me for all :)

penance, Nov 18, 2003
  3. PBirkett

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I gave up on that shambles ages ago like you say they have access to a lot of good resources where as this site is run to be a budget and jut one person but runs fine.

It will be interesting to see how much more traffic the HFC site gets compared to this one. This one seems to be very busy lately.

amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2003
  4. PBirkett

tones compulsive cantater

So, all together now, strike up a really cool song...

Fr-eeze a jolly good fellow...

tones, Nov 18, 2003
  5. PBirkett

Sauerkraut Do I or Don't I? I did!!!

I can't agree more. Haven't been able to get on Hifichoice for two days now nothing loads. I can see a lot of friendly faces from there on here. A great forum. Well done.
    Shame about Hifichoice though. It was great for a while. But to be honest with a lot of the same folk here I can't notice the difference (apart from the obvious ie it works!).
    Glad to be on board.
    :respect:

Sauerkraut, Nov 18, 2003
  6. PBirkett

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

I did actually manage to get the hfc page to load once yesterday afternoon but thats about it.

TBF I don't think its just HFC thats having the problems as PC Gamer forum also refuses to load as well. Looks like its the people at future publishing that have allowed things to go tits up.

Agree with you about having to sign in on every visit. Surely they should put a notice up about it being a "security reason" and the reasons why and then give us a choice (no pun intended) if we want to stay logged in or not, or am I being too reasonable here?

Anyway three cheers to michael, zerogain has proved a worthy replacement to Groove handle :)

davidcotton, Nov 18, 2003
  7. PBirkett

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The problem with the future network is they probably just have one server for all their forums and I there server cannot cope with the bandwidth. I am not sure if their server is in house or if they use an external hosting company but either way they need to upgrade it fast.

amazingtrade, Nov 18, 2003
  8. PBirkett

joel Shaman of Signals

Groovehandle? Wassat then :JOEL:
    Seriously, top job Michael.
    And hasn't it been sooo much better (re)starting from scratch than it would have been trying to reanimate a dead handle.
    It is very good to see that ZG has now reached the same user level as GH.
    Time to throw off the shackles of your tag line perhaps?

joel, Nov 18, 2003
  9. PBirkett

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Mike, good job mate, the forum does seem to gaining stature of late, which great to see :) and the 'old skool' still strong in presence too. plus a damn fine very low muppet count as well.
    great effort sir. Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 18, 2003
  10. PBirkett

Robert Edgar

:ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:

Nice one Michael keep up the good work...:D

Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2003
    Robert Edgar, Nov 18, 2003
  11. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Yep good work Mike!

Muchio respectio

MO

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  12. PBirkett

Lt Cdr Data om

I wuz thinking myself how quick the stuff loads everytime without fail, msut be a good server, but great work anyway, hifc forum really has gone downhill, + its been infected with the nad and rotel brigade, not that there is anything wrong, but that is hi end there!

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 18, 2003
  13. PBirkett

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

HFC has definately lost the plot! A superb effort, Michael!

nsherin, Nov 18, 2003
  14. PBirkett

michaelab desafinado

Erm... :shame: ...thanks guys :D

The speed and reliability is not really me anyway. I have good forum software (www.vbulletin.com) and a great hosting company based in the UK who I can't recommend highly enough (http://oneandone.co.uk).

Seems to have been growing a bit more recently, particularly with people from far afield, and I think that is mainly down to being fully linked up in Google now :MILD:

We've had some bad times (the AV Forums/AV Talk debacle and several rounds of the Mana wars :rolleyes: ) but hopefully those are behind us now :cool:

I'm happy with the mix on here - a good crowd of people and that's really what makes the forum so :respect: to all you guys :)

Joel - with hindsight yes it probably has been better than trying to re-animate the old handle. As for the "logo" (something I did in about 30 seconds because I had to have something when the forum started) and the tag line maybe it is time for a change allthough I quite like the tag line anyway - it in some way epitomises what many of the people on here are after. The logo could definitely be better though but I'm not really a good at design - perhaps we'll have a logo competition :banana:

Cheers guys,
    Michael.

michaelab, Nov 18, 2003
Ask a Question