Well done Portugal.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Jun 24, 2004.

1. julian2002

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Hopefully this is one thing we can agree on. This is the irresponsible inciting of hatemail on a national level. Disgusting.

stumblin, Jun 25, 2004
  2. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

yes but it's in the sun. this means that hairy backed neanderthals and nova driving chavs will be the only ones reading neither of which has any clue of how to use a computer.

actually yes it is disgusting but then so are all news dissemination organisations.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 25, 2004
  3. julian2002

Dev Moderator

Seconded.

Dev, Jun 25, 2004
  4. julian2002

Saab

We will win the next world cup with this team (plus Ferdinand and Bridge),but only if the lazy prima-dona Beckham stops ****ing about preeming himself with his stupid pouting she-chav wife and starts actually working on his game.

Saab, Jun 25, 2004
  5. julian2002

sideshowbob Trisha

England didn't play very well, simple as that. The disallowed goal didn't lose them the game, playing a negative defensive strategy for virtually all of it did that.

I'm annoyed because I had a sizeable bet on Portugal winning 2-1, and only a small one on Owen scoring first...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 25, 2004
  6. julian2002

Matt F

Come on now Ian - if that goal had stood then England almost certainly would have won. I say 'almost' rather than 'definitely' after the France game.

Matt.

Matt F, Jun 25, 2004
  7. julian2002

Robbo

I am not sure I understand what all the fuss is about. The result was a fair one IMO as the better team on the day won. End of story.

I'd love to have seen us go further in the tournament, but sadly we didnt play well enough.

Robbo, Jun 25, 2004
  8. julian2002

badchamp Thermionic Member

Disclaimer : I'm not a football fan.

HOWEVER, :D , there's been several mentions of the England team being tired. :eek: They've played what, 360 minutes of football in 10 days, including several days off - and they're tired. Poor loves. I'm afraid IMVHO England are a bunch of average, overated players in a generally pretty average tournament.

Couple of good games here and there I suppose, anyway I'm off to Wimbledon to flog all the second hand England flags to Henmaniacs (more jingoistic hysteria :rolleyes: )

badchamp, Jun 25, 2004
  9. julian2002

titian

Sorry but I feel that this is a comment of somebody who never was out of his home and never opened his horizonts further than his nose.
    If you would watch how french, italians and germans analyse each match of the championship even if there team wasn't playing then you would would be very surprised. The germans for example were live 45 minutes before the game and finished 1 hour later with analizes, comments interviews and so on. They gave compliments to both teams as if they were playing themselves! Sorry I am not for Germany but this time I was very very amazed. The Italians and french weren't so extended in their analysis but still lots of details were given.

I thought that the Italians are / were bad loosers but after hearing and reading what was written in some english newspaper I think that there is nothing worse than what is going on in England independent if it is a swiss referee or not.
    Thank god that not everybody in England is like that.

titian, Jun 25, 2004
  10. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I thought that was Figos best performance so far.

I'd say Beckham could possibly say that though the others all had the same spot to kick from, at least they knew to stamp it down first from his blunder. Saying that, they'd apparantly mentioned the condition of the penaltyy spot to UEFA a couple of times already, so knew what to expect.

I'm kinda neutral, but also kinda take a little evil pleasure in seeing england losing :D

If the foul was given for the actual header for the goal though (and not for an earlier incident as suggested above), then I think it should have counted! Both players were going for the ball. What are they meant to do? Get out the way and let the keeper take it? Perhaps MOre replays will show otherwise, but I think they've a right to feel robbed.

The Czech's have been the MOst impressive so far IMO, along with Sweden.

I don't think any of the fav's have shown themselves to be clear fav's so far. But with France in particular, you expect them to turn it up.

I think Sweden Holland could be an absolutely brilliant game!

Two class teams. Sweden are MOre a "team" with all the usual hard to beat, effort, disciplined, etc... along with a few truly class players, and as good a strike pairing as anyone IMO! While Holland are MOre a case of a (nearly) full squad of top class players, who *can* work effectively as a team, but are unpredictable.

Really looking forward to that on saturday. (Larsson and Mjalby for Sweden with their Celtic links & Advocatt, Van Bronkhurst, and the De Boers with their Rangers links - yes the world does revolve around the Old Firm :D )

MO!, Jun 25, 2004
  11. julian2002

stumblin Kittens getting even...

I beg you pardon? I take exception at this comment. Must this get personal? You're right, I didn't watch the match on German or French TV. Maybe they would care if they believed an England goal was disallowed unfairly, feel free to tell me I'm wrong but don't make sweeping statements about me based on a throw away comment on a web forum.

I have travelled across most of Europe, and currently work at an EMEA level dealing with every single culture in EMEA from Albania to Yemen. I am transitioning to a global position, and will be moving to San Francisco. It is my life plan to live in as many as possible of the worlds major cultures in five year chunks. If this is the behaviour of someone who has never opened his horizons further than his nose, then what the hell is it you want?

Don't make this personal - it's about football, and it really isn't that important.

I have a lot of respect for you Titian, you are obviously a very intelligent man and the last thing I'd like to do is lock horns with you. But I have to defend myself against an unfounded comment like above.

stumblin, Jun 25, 2004
  12. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd forgot about the Portusuese "goal". I can't remember the details, and thought nothing of it as I don't even remember a tv replay (and I take it the cameras were controlled by the portuguese?), but I remember thinking at the time it looked to have crossed the line.

Someone mentioned the Italian reaction to their being put out. I'm glad they were put out after the way they were making excuses before even playing. 10 extra cameras at the Denmark Sweden game. And comments both before and after of how a 2-2 draw would be suspicous. Having watched that game it was far from played for a draw. Infact, only for the last 2 min's or so did it look like either team were willing to settle. And why not? At that point both teams had been in and out of the competition if the result hadn't changed, and had both gone out for the win. For the Italians (management and players) to say it was pre arranged was a joke IMO! Good to see them go for that alone :D

Oh, and agree about the sun! F@#king pathetic!

Despite any opinions on the goal standing, we've all now had countless chances to review it, it wasn't 100% obvious at first site. Only after replays did I (we?) form the opinion it hsould have stood (having still not seen replays explaining a previous foul). I think this will kick off the video evidence argument again.

Also, as other have said, Eng-ur-lund simply aint that good. You can say it's a team of household names and such, but why are they household names??? Because the good old eng-ur-lish media hype them into that! Some genuine talents there sure, but not as good as they're hyped to be.

Cole and Rooney best players for England in the tournament. Would have liked to have seen Dyer getting a run out too. Was Joe Cole even there?

MO!, Jun 25, 2004
  13. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Stumblin. You need to accept though that the norm for eng-ur-lund fans is a closed minded sun reading muppet! :D

C'MOn!!!! Someone take the bait! :p

MO!, Jun 25, 2004
  14. julian2002

adam

I was alone watching the game,so no noise, no distractions,just my AV set up quite loud,a I'm 101% the ref blew his whistle well before the contraversial second header,I said no goal straight away as the whistle was blown at about the time the ball hit the bar,so I believe everyones focusing on the wrong incident,and passing the blame on the ref.

The performances wern't encouraging,Portugual were more dynamic,imaginative,and if it wasn't for Cole it would have been worse,I was very impressed with the job he did,showed superb levels of fitness.

The whole team just haven't got it,there are some classy individuals, Frank Lampard who has really matured since leaving West Ham,so well done to him,Cole,too was awesome,ran his legs off having to deal with the class he had to face.Sol campbell,also very solid.

Need a better keeper,saw enough of James at West Ham,was pleased to see him go,never know what his going to do,unpredictable,doesn't arrange the defence well enough.

Rooney too was the reason we did well against Switzerland,and kept us going,hope he keeps it up and doesn't turn into the next Beckham,the one trick pony,wants to concentrate on his football not looking a total ponce,and celebrity lifestyle.

So yes England deserved to lose,they wern't robbed,but life goes on,just like West Ham for me,you get used to these things.

adam, Jun 25, 2004
  15. julian2002

titian

Stumblin,
    I purposely put the verb 'feel' because I don't really think you are such a person and I didn't want to attack you personally especially when I never met you (and even then!).
    I just wanted you to think about what you have written because it shows missing of knowledge of the mentality of these countries when it comes to football (sorry for saying that). They become incredibly objective and professional and not limited to their own team (at least in the case of this championships).

I don't consider myself intelligent, and I do lots of mistakes and I know I am often WRONG. Sometimes I am even dumb, ignorant and quite emotional. I know it, and if I feel I should, I try to get better. I therefor don't expect others to be better than me. These words have no relation to you! With them I just wanted to say that I try my best to never attack personally anyone because I know I am not better.

titian, Jun 25, 2004
  16. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

I saw a brief report on Sky News that a handful of thugs somewhere in England attacked a bar run by Portuguese people - I guess there'll always be some idiots but in general I think the behaviour of the fans has been excellent.

That thing in the Sun is outrageous, as was one of the tabloids (might have been the Sun aswell) calling Urs Meier a "Swiss Banker" :rolleyes: (for the non-English here, banker is cockney rhyming slang for wanker).

If you look at all the refereeing decisions during the match you'll see that it was fairly evenly balanced. Yes, he made some mistakes, but they were more or less evenly distributed in favour of both sides and which ref doesn't make mistakes? Even the great Colina has bad days.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 25, 2004
  17. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

New evidence! The ball did MOve!!!

[​IMG]

MO!, Jun 25, 2004
  18. julian2002

Saab

Badchamp

Lampard has played 71 games this season,and Gerrard 68,thats going some,they just ran out of puff

Saab, Jun 25, 2004
  19. julian2002

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

It was a pub in South London, the owner said that he had been told, (presumably by his regulars), that he would loose the custom of a lot of his customers. Due to this and obviously the wrecking of his premisis. He is considering returning to Portugal.

It wasn't just the sun. Chris Moyles on Radio 1 was mentioning the refs website and also encouraging people to fill in the feedback section with their thoughts about the game.

Personally, it disgusts me the way the English behave when they loose. We're supposedly the "gentlemen sportsmen" of the world but when it comes to football it seems the media falls foul of a very base mentality which I strongly believe should be punished under the "inciting racial hatred" law. The level of xenophobia that is deemed acceptable in this country is bad enough at the best of times, but when it comes to English football not living up to it's overhyped egotistical and arrogant heights then the vitriol really flows.

GTM

GTM, Jun 25, 2004
  20. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Normally it annoys me when people get racism involved in football. I don't support england, I often get a bit of a giggle out of them being beat. But that's football. I support Scotland, and England are a footballing rival. It's apparant many take it too far though, and the way the medial react often takes things beyond the sporting rivalry.

Encouraging the abuse of the ref on a personal level is out of order.

MO!, Jun 25, 2004
Ask a Question