Well done Portugal.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Jun 24, 2004.

1. julian2002

stumblin Kittens getting even...

<deleted post, due to it being crap>

stumblin, Jun 28, 2004
  2. julian2002

tones compulsive cantater

I daren't do that, because then nothing I ever write would ever appear! (I know, I know, no great loss...)

tones, Jun 28, 2004
  3. julian2002

mr cat Member of the month

it was even on the early evening ITN news!!! :eek:

mr cat, Jun 28, 2004
  4. julian2002

wolfgang

I always like to believe surely most of us don't take this stuff in the tabloits as genuine sentiment and in my eyes the Sun is only one of the many. Unfortunately, after every riot that follows a football game I lose a bit more faith.

Is this reason why the aftermath of suddenly removing a government in country eventhough it is corrupt to its core, is worst because it would let loose something even more unimaginable and more difficult to control?

wolfgang, Jun 28, 2004
  5. julian2002

wolfgang

Well put. IMHO as well this is what makes certain games more interesting and extremely true in the case of this sport. On top of this when two teams or individuals are match in ability it also reveal a human nature call the inner believe.

wolfgang, Jun 28, 2004
  6. julian2002

Dev Moderator

We finally agree on something.

Dev, Jun 28, 2004
  7. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

oh god no.... err, errr, errrr mf are crap, oh god mf are crap. must keep telling myself mf are.... someone heeeeellllp. :D
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 28, 2004
  8. julian2002

Dev Moderator

:D

Dev, Jun 28, 2004
  9. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

I really dispute that penalties are a lottery. It's yet another idea the English have fostered to excuse their pretty poor record on penalty taking. If you look at Germany's record on penalty shoot-outs, you'll find it's pretty good. 5/5 in major tournaments I think ;)

Penalty taking is definitely not a lottery. It's all about skill and psychology. If you shoot a penalty into the top left or right corner of the net there is absolutely no way the keeper will get it - ever. On the practise pitch, most players would be able to hit that area 99 times out of 100, so it all comes down to being able to focus and put the ball in the right spot. The Germans can do it, so can the Argentines and several other sides. England and Holland (last Saturday's game apart) seem unable to do it.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 28, 2004
  10. julian2002

merlin

they should have the penalty shoot out BEFORE the game IMHO.

Then at least everyone knows where they stand.

merlin, Jun 28, 2004
  11. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

It's a pretty harsh way to lose a game and, whilst I maintain it's not a lottery at all, the skills required are completely different to those normally needed by a footie player, which doesn't make it an ideal way to decide games.

However, I don't know of any better alternatives that are similarly quick. Even the golden goal and silver goal rules (which were attempts to reduce the number of shoot outs) are being killed off as ineffective - allthough the silver goal rule is still in effect for Euro2004.

My personal suggestion would be that extra time should be played without the goal keepers but there's no guarantee that extra time still wouldn't end in a draw.

Another reasonably good suggestion is that after extra time, the team with the least number of bookings (or, if equal, number of fouls commited) wins the game but that would probably put too much of a spotlight on reffing decisions which are alread under too much scrutiny IMO.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 28, 2004
  12. julian2002

Dev Moderator

Not a bad idea. Perhaps you could take into account the number of shots at the goal as well, to encourage a more attacking game.

Dev, Jun 28, 2004
  13. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I like penalties! Good bit of drama!

Perhaps not the fairest way to end a game. But I can't really think of a *sensible* alternative.

Getting the crowd involved, or possibly the managers arm wrestle?

IMO MOst shots wouldn't really work (jus defend deep and take long shots) . Nor would no keeper (10 men on the line). Reward for playing well over the game would be good, but too much room for problems.

Perhaps bring all the sub's on and get rid of the offside rule?

MO!, Jun 29, 2004
  14. julian2002

BlueMax

May be a points system in addition to goals whereby the team loose points for fowls, throws, corner, and so on. This will also result in more skillful play.

Making the goal posts wider and taller and relaxing the rules so that more goals can be scored will also help in creating a differential at the end of the game.

BlueMax, Jun 29, 2004
  15. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i know what... you could let the players pick up the ball with their hands and let them tackle each other a bit more roughly. then you could make the goal this sort of Y shape and make all the players wear padding and helmets so they don't damage their delicate selves. also allow lots of stoppages for advertising and 2 completely different teams per side depending on whether the opponents are attacking or defending. that way you should get lots of 'goals'.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jun 29, 2004
  16. julian2002

mr cat Member of the month

perhaps when htere is a draw - the team who has had the more chances at goal..? maybe just on target, or not..???
    that would hopefully deter teams from trying to hang onto a 1-0 result by sitting back a lot...

mr cat, Jun 29, 2004
  17. julian2002

badchamp Thermionic Member

How about awarding points on the basis of 1st goal - 2 pt; 2nd goal - 3 pts and so on ?? (1pt for first goal wouldn't work as you could win 2-1 and still "draw")

badchamp, Jun 29, 2004
  18. julian2002

JackOTrades

... or we could get rid of the refs after the 90mins and let the players fight it out till there is just a few standing... last one standing wins! ;)

Jack

JackOTrades, Jun 29, 2004
  19. julian2002

Matt F

Or maybe, to make it quicker, just the two centrebacks from each side - I fancy Sol Campbell and John Terry would do pretty well here.

Seriously though, I don't think there's anything wrong with penalties - it is about skill and nerve - if you are confident and can strike/place the ball well then you should score - look at Le Tissier's record: 49 from 50.

Matt.

Matt F, Jun 29, 2004
  20. julian2002

auric FOSS

Beating us one week and the next your man will be the next EU Prez:D

Auric

auric, Jun 29, 2004
Ask a Question