Well done Portugal.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by julian2002, Jun 24, 2004.

1. julian2002

Dev Moderator

If only life was so simple :(

The Czechs created most of the chances and missed at least half a dozen very good chances, hitting the woodwork bloody hard at least once, but they were just unlucky. The Greeks played a bit like the Germans (hardly surprising I suppose), they were very quick to close down any Czech attack by surrounding the Czech forwards, but rarely produced their own chances. It's almost like they were playing for extra time or penalties. They just wore Czechs down. Still it worked for them. I fear Portugal will find it even harder to cope with these tactics.

Dev, Jul 2, 2004
  2. julian2002

Dev Moderator

Ban him now! :D

Dev, Jul 2, 2004
  3. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

Sadly that's often not the case in football. I'm not saying that was the case last night though - didn't manage to catch any highlights so have only got the internet reports to go on and it looks like the Greeks built a fortress around their goal and lucked out with messy goal off a corner in the last minute of extra time, but that's sometimes how it goes. It's still a win.

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 2, 2004
  4. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

I think they'll be able to handle the Greeks no problem this time :) If they weren't motivated enough already, they've got the chance to get even with the Greeks for their first game debacle.

I wonder how often a tournament has ended with the same game as it started with?

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 2, 2004
  5. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

michael,
    my remark was intended to be dripping with irony and sarcasm after the english team were robbed - again this sentance isn't totally serious :D
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 2, 2004
  6. julian2002

stumblin Kittens getting even...

I know that the name and decisions of Collini are considered sacrosanct, but I must say that I thought Jan Koller should have had a penalty after the collar tugging incident. There could be no other motive than to prevent him getting a ball that no Greek player was in a position to reach. There was no greek player even attempting to play the ball IIRC.

I wonder if the Czech equivalent of the Sun will run a campaign...

stumblin, Jul 2, 2004
  7. julian2002

Dev Moderator

Agreed, but even the "best referee in the world" can be forgiven one mistake in his final game.

Dev, Jul 2, 2004
  8. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

I thought Collina was just retiring from international footbal? There are suggestions he's thinking of moving to become a premiership ref....

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 2, 2004
  9. julian2002

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

If only it was only one. IMO he was pretty biased in that match. I wasn't favouring either team, but Greece were definitely getting more of the decisions in the game. They also had a tendency to fall over at nearly every opportunity, particularly as the game progressed and they weren't getting any where.

Czechs definitely played better overall IMO, they were more creative and came closer to scoring, (up until the goal of course). The greeks aren't very good really. They are good at running around and closing down the opposing players thus preventing them from playing but other than that they didn't do much during the game and it was no surprise that their only goal came from a set peice with particularly poor defending.

Either way I was hoping the game would drag on so they whoever won would be tired come sunday. One bonus though, the Greeks main playmaker, (I won't attempt to spell his name), was yellow carded so will not play in the final.

GTM

GTM, Jul 2, 2004
  10. julian2002

Dev Moderator

I generally agree with your comments, but calling him biased I feel may be a bit strong. We've seen far worse in this tournament :D I just think he allowed the Greeks to get away with a lot more than he should have. The Czechs just got on with playing the game rather than playing silly buggers. The Czechs certainly played far better and should have been awarded a penalty.

Dev, Jul 2, 2004
  11. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Looked like a penalty to me too, and yep, it's just international retirement.

I think I heard that's the first goal the Czech's have conceded from a corner in 3 years!

MO!, Jul 2, 2004
  12. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

lurch is chucking in the towel? englands lucky mascot ref gone? noooooooo.... well that's the world cup out of reach now.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 2, 2004
  13. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Forced International retirement! There's an age limit, and he's reached it.

MO!, Jul 2, 2004
  14. julian2002

JackOTrades

well, for what is worth, being portuguese and all, i actually rather see the Czechs in the final than the greeks. i have nothing against the greeks but i don't like the way they played football throughout the championship, as far as i saw.

true, it seems to have been effective, but the very disciplined, defensive, almost choking football they produced doesn't make for good, entertaining football in my humble opinion. much rather see flare and passion in the game, attacking and giving your all, then the showstopping, throw yourself to the floor type of game that they seem to be playing to combat their disadvantages. Clever, perhaps, but it would be a shame to see that kind of game win the cup.

now i don't necessarily think greece will be an easier opponent on the final. the portuguese team will have more pressure, as they are likely to be the favourites, and they know the greeks a bit better now, so hopefully they will be prepared... but as we saw so many times, we never know... i'd surely be happier to lose against the czechs, if we lose at all.

anyway, michael, about the PM in portugal, i hope you're right and Sampaio goes for elections. as for what DB will do in europe, i don't expect he will do much... but maybe that's exactly why they want him there. :JPS:

i wish i was in portugal for sunday! i envy you, michael! ;)
    (hope your wife is better, btw)

Jack

JackOTrades, Jul 2, 2004
  15. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

Sunday's going to be great :) . If we win there will be complete mayhem on the streets :JPS: .

I agree with you, it would be better to lose to the Czechs than the Greeks if we have to lose. The Greeks have played very uninteresting and boring football, rather like German football (well, they have got a German coach).

Still, I hope, like Brazil did to Germany in 2002, we can demolish the Greeks.

FORÇA PORTUGAL!!!

Michael.

PS: My wife is fully recovered, thanks :)

michaelab, Jul 2, 2004
  16. julian2002

Dev Moderator

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well it wasn't to be :(

and no Julian, Greece were not the better team, just because they won. They played their normal defensive game. :mad:

Dev, Jul 4, 2004
  17. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

Greece sucked and Portugal played brilliantly. Greece put 11 men around the goal mouth and then lucked out with a corner, they only serious chance of the game compared to at least 20 chances that Portugal had that just didn't quite come off :(

A very sad day for football and all true football fans :(

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 4, 2004
  18. julian2002

Dev Moderator

I think you've summed up every Greek game I've seen in this tournament. A sad day indeed.

Dev, Jul 4, 2004
  19. julian2002

Saab

Not sad at all

they worked their bollox off,and they defended superbly (some of their tackles were just fantastic to watch,as much a part of football as scoring goals).They remind me of George Grahams Arsenal side tbh.

and real credit to the coach,his team were fit and highly organised,and tactically,they were brilliant

they worked hard and deserve they moment of glory

Saab, Jul 4, 2004
  20. julian2002

Dev Moderator

Yes, I thought so too, but didn't want to start a debate about Arsenal. You could also draw comparisons with some German teams of the past.

However, I disagree that these tactics are a credit to any team. An attacking game of Football is always more enjoyable than a defensive one (IMO of course).

Dev, Jul 4, 2004
Ask a Question