Well theres a thing eh!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Mar 15, 2004.

1. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Yesterday i had a very interesting afternoon with a very nice gent.

Said gent arrived at my house with a very nice car full of snake oil and seminal fluids from unknown aquatic life forms.
    We sat and had a listen to my set-up as is and the gent agreed with my findings, swamping bass, bad top end roll off and recessed stage.

First item to be subjected to the oil was the bulleted MF cable that was sitting between pre and power. This was exchanged for a nice 1m length of oil (or was it sperm?)
    Instantly the vocals came forward, more top and less boom. A clear change and a step in the right direction.
    Next was a swap of the cable from CDp to pre. Originally a DPA black slink, this was exchanged for an identical cable to the one now in situe between pre and power.
    More of the same, it all kept the same tonal balance but it added more of what we had noticed with the first change. The stage also increased.

We then got the power amp off of the same outlet as most other components and put an iso Tx inline for it.
    Now were cooking, yet again more of the goods came thru but also a lot cleaner sounding. Y'know, that blacks get blacker thing;)

So we then moved on to try power cables on each component in turn starting with power amp then CDp and finally pre.
    Now we're motoring along. Speakers have disapeared completely, even if i stared at them i still couldnt hear one note emminating from them.
    Then we had a box full of lobster sperm/snake oil mixture placed in to help clean up the supply to pre and CDp.
    Again, more proof that animal fluids aid phsycho accoustics.

We now had a room filling sound, a wide and deep stage. Everything started and stoped as it should, vocals were amazing.
    In fact the best sound i have ever had in my house.
    Said gent even made a comment about it being the best he had heard the 1.1's sounding:D
    Any grain from the CDp had gone, i think this may have been the first time my system has actually done the PRAT thing!!

So for a laugh we stuck the gents top flight IC's in. We had a good listen with these in place. But we all agreed that these cables started to show weakness in the system, the top end started to break up and sounding not so good. Now im not worried about this, as i feel a system worthy of those IC's is out of reach of a mere mortal such as myself.

All through this Mrs P was listening aswell and noticed the changes.
    Unfortunately the gent had to return to his home and took his cables with him, but i kept the iso Tx. I had another listen last night with all my cables back in and just the iso inplace on power amp, not as good as we had achieved during the day but still way more musical than i had before.

But, the one problem is, cables (especially power cables) are all BS aint they. I obviously just wanted to hear changes because of the cables looking so nice and the need to be able to say 'my cable cost £xxx'.
    So i wont be buying cables, instead i will sell everything i posses due to total disenchantment with early 90's gratuitus styling. I will buy a fish tank and collection of mud skippers to be my friends. I may even be able to sell sperm of skipper to audiophools;)

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  2. penance

michaelab desafinado

This gentleman you speak of wouldn't happen to be a large bloke from Cheltenham going by the name of Tony would he? :D

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 15, 2004
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

classified information im afraid, else people would be wanting to drown him in his fluids.
    I can say he was very friendly aswell.

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  4. penance

voodoo OdD

;)

voodoo, Mar 15, 2004
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

yep Voodoo, you told me so:D;)

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  6. penance

voodoo OdD

Just glad to hear that you had a good day enjoying your system :).

voodoo, Mar 15, 2004
  7. penance

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

This weeks Special, 2 mud skippers & 3 kissing Grama's for the price of one bottle of organic silver flecks with added native carribean mystic black arts enhancer.
    Form an orderly que here

wadia-miester, Mar 15, 2004
  8. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

You read my mind WM.
    Depending on sperm production ability ill take 6 skippers. The tank sounds empty and hollow so i need to fill it soon.

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  9. penance

tones compulsive cantater

¿Que?

tones, Mar 15, 2004
  10. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

tones
    were going to sell mud skipper spunk to any audiophool with enough money:)

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  11. penance

tones compulsive cantater

Judging by what I've seen and heard, you'll be rich in no time. Just remember your old uncle Tones, who helped you so much, when you are, eh?

tones, Mar 15, 2004
  12. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

get in line tones ;)

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  13. penance

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Have you thought through the mechanics of obtaining this then? ;) .

Sounds like you might be sticking with this HiFi malarky then Penance? Good stuff. Glad to see it looks like you've got over your disillusionment (well done that mystery man); it's all rather disturbing when people start threatening to give up on the whole thing :)

Martin

MartinC, Mar 15, 2004
  14. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

we have a special glove made from female mud skipper hide and impregnated with scent of skipper pheromones, i'll leave the rest to your imagination;)

yep, im very happy now, obviously i dont yet own any of said cables. But plans to raise funds are afoot:)
    very glad now that i didnt sell the Rotel, and again, thanks to Merlin for pointing me in its direction

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  15. penance

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Sounds like things are getting better.

However, (seeming as Tones seemed to not take it up this time ;) ), perhaps you shouldn't rush into this.

Gong from your previous thread, you were very disheartned by the whole thing. Yes, the route you experimented with could well be the one to follow, but still, I wouldnt rush into anything. Sounds like you only got a few hours to play with them. Perhaps a longer (say a week +) with them would be what's needed. Do they still do the job at the end of a longer "living with" period? Or had they just given a pointer in the right direction that you'd been hoping for due to your disapointment, which appears to be the solution.

I'm not for a MOment saying it's all imagined blah blah blah...

just that you should perhaps take a bit MOre time over this upgrade than previously. I'm sure this mystery man would of course be happy to ensure your happiness and work out some sort of longer trial ;)

Also, it seems that if the kit was sounding so utterly pants before, there's plenty of other routes you may wish to explore to see which way to best takle the problem.

etc etc etc....

MO!, Mar 15, 2004
  16. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

fair points there MO!
    One of the reason i kept the Rotel and didnt send it back (apart from the shop being run by a twat that goes back on his word:rolleyes: ) was due to many people telling me how surprised they were with my findings. That lead me to think that the problem may well be somewhere else. I was still impatient but held on. Said nice gent offered as a friend to show me what may or may not help, with no sales pitch.
    We bothe started the afternoon with open minds, it would either show me what way to go with respect to sorting out my set-up, or selling the lot and starting again:eek:
    As i guess most people have realised, i was fed up with box swapping and really couldnt be bothered, so trying cableing was a good alternative.
    In all honesty i didnt expect, or believe we would of achieved the difference we did. So i am happy to say that it will be the most likely, if not THE route i follow.
    But i agree with what you say, there are long term living with it scenario's to consider, and also many routes i could try as alternative.
    But after realising yesterday that with my current power and cable setup i was vastly off the makr, in relation to what my system was capable of, i will follow that route. Maybe when i'm ready to purchase the cable/cables said kind gent might be willing to offer a longer trial period. I imagine it wouldnt be a problem:)

edited to add - it will be a longer period this time, as i have other more pressing matters to throw cash at;)

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  17. penance

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I hate to say this...

...so I won't. Glad you got a result :cool:

technobear, Mar 15, 2004
  18. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

i feel a 'told ya so' moment coming on;):)

penance, Mar 15, 2004
  19. penance

wolfgang

Penance,

What ever snake oil you are about to buy please remember to apply at least a little bit of the Art of Critical Listening.

wolfgang, Mar 15, 2004
  20. penance

Robbo

Penance,

Glad you have got a result, and hopefully you can get where you want to be without spending too much more.

Robbo, Mar 15, 2004
Ask a Question