wharfedale evo speakers - help me here

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreemer, Feb 25, 2005.

1. dreemer

dreemer

hi chaps,
    as some of you may know i am currently in the process of re building my hifi after some home improvements. i 've sorted my T/T outand i have around £1600 or so in the coffers for ex dem or s/h amps and speakers.
    cutting to the jist my local store has what appears to be an incredible offer on wharfedale pacifics at the moment and i want to test the water with you guys on your views. i will ultimately make my own judgement when i hear them tomorrow but i am interested in the general consensus.

these are all new and boxed by the way -
    evo40 - maple £374 (save £400)
    evo30 - rosewood £549 (save £100)
    evo20 - stunning piano gloss maple £249

i'm not used to spending such small amounts on substantial bits of kit and this is my main concern. if i go for a pair of these instead of some more 'hi end' units i can get a new cartridge and have £1k to spend on an amp. the valves thread has pricked my ears up again.
    it may be worth noting that the only hi quality source i use is my T/T but i do like a variety of music from classical to breakbeat

talk to me

dreemer, Feb 25, 2005
  2. dreemer

dreemer

in case you are interested - they were crap. tried all 3 over an hour and they all got blown to pieces by an ex dem pair of MA silver 5's.

so the search continues

dreemer, Feb 26, 2005
  3. dreemer

PeteH Natural Blue

I was looking at spending a similar-ish amount of money on speakers - once I got round to trying the Quad L series I didn't feel inclined to look any further. Do have a listen to the 21L or 22L if you get a chance :)

PeteH, Feb 26, 2005
Ask a Question