What are going to add to your system in 2008?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SCIDB, Dec 27, 2007.

1. SCIDB

anubisgrau

+1

i killed 3 CD spinners in 2007. i'm fed up and i'm switching to PC playback but i need one for my wife. accu is hopefully undestructable (enough).

anubisgrau, Dec 28, 2007
  2. SCIDB

Mr_Sukebe

My amp is the best class D I've heard, and valve amps have been banned by "she who must be obeyed". To replace my speakers I'd be looking at something like a pair of avantgards and the SB+ is the best streaming front end I know of. Doesn't leave much that is at a vaguely sensible price.
    So instead I think I'll be looking at the mains and investigating regeneration and a separate mains spur.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 29, 2007
  3. SCIDB

Gerner

Hahaha Anu....just the same here. She who must be obeyed doesn't like my crazy PC-Playback system, so I preserve the spinner for her convenience. :)

BTW you heard what a good rip can do for you on a good player. We A-B'ed it against the spinner... I remember the shock you got........:D

Are you sure you want to let an OS system mess with your Holy data? There is soon another way, you know, such as a life without Mr. Gates.

Gerner :)

Gerner, Dec 29, 2007
  4. SCIDB

joel Shaman of Signals

You're on the list :)
    The Accuphase DP-700 has digital inputs, which makes it rather flexible. Accuphase's own mechanism and general build quality should ensure long life and parts availability reasonably far into the future.
    It is not cheap and at 27kgs could be quite expensive to ship...
    In any case this would not be feasible until the end of 2008 at the earliest (same I suspect for Markus, what with all those sleepless nights you're enjoying).

joel, Dec 29, 2007
  5. SCIDB

titian

Small activities for my main Hifi:
    - fix my Krell (the Crown is not a great replacement for it but works).
    - buy a Voodoo-Unit for my CDs and LPs.

Main activity for my main hifi:
    - adding a Satellite HDTV
    - good receiver for it,
    - good projector & screen. (I will watch films in stereophonic)

Main activity for my second hifi (not 100% sure):
    - connecting it to Satellite HDTV
    - receiver for it,
    - AV-Preamplifier (McIntosh MX119 or MX135 or MX136 or Audionet MAP2)
    - another pair of Nestorovic Type 5 to make 4:0.
    - 1TB network Harddisk for storing videos and backups for all in house computers

For Sale: McIntosh C33, Amplifier MC 7270 and old McIntosh CD-Player. (maybe all to my daughter?)

titian, Dec 30, 2007
  6. SCIDB

mr cat Member of the month

thinking of buying the Dussun 8vi - any thoughts?

mr cat, Dec 30, 2007
  7. SCIDB

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

A new phono stage is on the cards and maybe (if I can find a decent cabinet maker, that is) some replacement cabs for my Tannoy Gold 15" - the cats just show way too much interest in the mesh fronts on my almost pristine 1968 Lancasters. In fact things have got so bad, I've had to go back to the Monitor GR10s to prevent damage to the Tannoys (and subsequent damage to the cats.....). I miss the bass :(

johnfromnorwich, Dec 30, 2007
  8. SCIDB

barty

It's new speaker stands for me and a headphone amp. Don't know which one yet though

barty, Dec 31, 2007
  9. SCIDB

ShinOBIWAN

I'm probably going to try and get hold of some stolen goods. Doesn't matter what they are just that they're stolen.

ShinOBIWAN, Dec 31, 2007
  10. SCIDB

cooky1257

Build some solid wood Westlake Smith horns, finish this vintage JBL/Westlake TM1 restoration and figure what I'm to do with either the Westies or Tannoy 215's clones-Impossible to give a home to both:( but the expansion/improvement possibilities (TAD's) of the TM1's mean they're the ones probably staying.......

cooky1257, Jan 1, 2008
  11. SCIDB

indolent

new speakers. Possibly some Avalon Acoustic Opus. The so called "hifi" sound is sounding pretty good to me at the moment actually.

indolent, Jan 1, 2008
  12. SCIDB

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Well now, I think I already have "the" CD player and "the" network player.

On New Year's Eve I bought a new secondhand amp which is a definite contender for "the" amp.

The amp was auditioned with the Transporter and a pair of Zu Druids. Interconnect was Krystal Kables Prism and the speaker cables were Zu (I think). The sound was fantastic. We listened to music for 7 hours straight and no matter what we played it all sounded fantastic. Loud or soft there was no fatigue. The dynamics and realism were astonishing compared to what I'm used to (and the Triangle Celius is well ahead of most at it's price - the Zu's do cost more of course).

Warning: if you demo the Zu Druid then DON'T listen to your own system for at least 2 days afterwards.

So, in 2008 I definitely need better speaker cables and as for the Zu Druids... [​IMG]

technobear, Jan 1, 2008
  13. SCIDB

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

keep on improving the diy record spinner and buying more great vinyl.

sq225917, Jan 1, 2008
  14. SCIDB

tuga

Just make sure the Zu's will match your room and positioning possibilities.

tuga, Jan 1, 2008
  15. SCIDB

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I will :) They were used well clear of walls on Monday in a quite bright room with little in the way of damping or diffusion. The room was about 4m sqare with a large bay one side and glass doors the other side. Bass was very good - plenty of depth and weight with negligible boom.

I'm hoping the chap who sold me the amp might bring the Zu's over to my place. He's very passionate about them and is on chatting terms with the guys in the States who make the speakers.

technobear, Jan 2, 2008
Ask a Question