What are the cheapest speakers I can get to upgrade my Eltaxs?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, May 16, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I reckon I can safely afford about £60-£70 towards upgrading my HIFI at the end of the month, my Eltax speakers are the weakest link in my system.

New or used is ok, but the speakers need to small because I have small room.

My amp is a Marantz PM6010 OSE and the CD is a CD6000 OSE LE.

amazingtrade, May 16, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

AudioGuru

Have a look around - I managed to get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 speakers for £69.99 in my local Sevenoaks branch.

They've been replaced by the Diamond 9 series, but the 8 series looks better - here's what the 8.1s look like:

[​IMG]

AudioGuru, May 16, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

hifikrazy

Why not wait a couple more months and get something even better!
    Alternatively something like the b&w dm302 are good vfm.

hifikrazy, May 16, 2006
  4. amazingtrade

dean.l

I would just buy parts to upgrade the speakers you have, start with the wiring/crossovers then buy new drivers (make sure you know what ones you plan to use so the crossovers work properly)you can always use them again in a diy speaker project.
    audax are good value for money.

also brace the internals of the existing boxes with some 1x1 or whatever size you have, don't go too mad because you will affect the internal cabinet size, just a bit in the middle works well.

dean.l, May 16, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

AudioGuru

That's true - I bought a pair of Eltax Concept 200 speakers from Richer Sounds for £40.

I decided to ditch the naff drivers and internal crap and fitted new Audax speakers and a decent crossover from Maplins. After also inserting some padding (they came with NO padding at all) made from the insides of two pillows, I gave them to my girlfriend.

They were a bit big for her room and now her brother has them and they sound far better than when I first bought them!!

AudioGuru, May 16, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

there are always somwe bargains on ebay - but since you've no cash until the end of the month then maybe we could suggest some around about then ? - assuming there are any good ones for sale... ;)

mr cat, May 16, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

8. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, May 16, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

The thing is I am perfectly happy with the system via headphones, the drums have all the attack in the world, the vocals are nice and open for it is just perfect.

I love that Marantz sound. I am not so happy with the speakers though, they do not sound bad, I just think the vocals could sound a bit warmer, the bass a bit deeper but I am happy with the higher end performance of my Danish taxes.

10. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Every couple of MOnths you ask a similar question, and the general response tends to be "save a bit MOre for a MOre worthwhile improvement".....

I'd suggest that again.

If I remember right, you're speakers are quite close to e rear walls? So front ported might be best. Kef Q15, or B&W 601 might be available s/h in your budget.

MO!, May 16, 2006
  11. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Rega Kytes.

If you don't fancy them, save up.

lordsummit, May 16, 2006
  12. amazingtrade

AudioGuru

The Cresta 10,20 and 30 speakers are OK, but the original 1, 2 and 3 were better in terms of sound. I had the C1 for two years until I accidently dropped one and the woofer fell out.

Having said that, the Cresta 1 wasn't bi-wireable and the 10 was and looked a bit better.

AudioGuru, May 17, 2006
  13. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

You could always buy my MS10i's off ebay... ;)

I really liked them especially on the end of an Exposure 20 integrated - in fact i think it was better than what i'm getting now off the onix / ela's... but my heart has always been with the ela's and i'm determined to get the best from them...

Anyway, £50 BIN ;)

PBirkett, May 18, 2006
Ask a Question