What are you doing for new years eve?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Dec 29, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am probably just going to one of my local bars but they want £10 a ticket which is quite steep. The pubs tend to operate a regulars only policy.

I can't be bothered going into town, even though there are night buses running it will be too much hassle getting back and you get all the p*ss heads out that can't handle thier drink.

amazingtrade, Dec 29, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

johnhunt recidivist

don't go then

me, we've a little dinner party

johnhunt, Dec 29, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

Restaurant in Lisbon...I think. It's all a bit last minute. Would be the first time I've spent New Years in Lisbon (usually we go somewhere else in the country) but I'm quite looking forward to having it in the city.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 29, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

HenryT

Avoiding the town centre, and so avoiding the entrance fees to get into overcrowded establishments.

A house party round at a mate's.

HenryT, Dec 29, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

At least the bar is just 500 yards away from me so there is no problems getting back, £10 is steep but it only comes round once a year.

6. amazingtrade

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I have a couple of DJing gigs on New Years eve. One in a busy pub,I think they are charging £10 in, then from 11pm onwards at the Leadmill in Sheffield.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 29, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

HenryT

Ah, that's not so bad. I'd probably pay the entrance fee in that case seeing as it's so close by and you don't have to factor in taxi or bus fares either.

The house party I'm going to is about 30-40 minutes walk away. I did offer to host it around at mine, just so that I could be lazy and not have to walk home afterwards! Perhaps next year... ;)

HenryT, Dec 29, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

42nd Street (Manchester) were charging £8 before christmas eve and that included free entry to the club in the Janruary, 5th Ave were being cheeky and asking £16 a ticket though, thats a lot of money to get your head smashed by the scallies that will go there on New Years eve.

The bigger city centre parties are charging upto £50 a ticket and I doubt you can even get near the bar with that.

I suppose there will be more security than normal though. I think the biggest problem with city centre's and New Years eve is people tend to drink far too much than they can handle.

It must be pretty good fun being a DJ at New Years eve but also hard work I suspect. PS Do you charge double? :)

9. amazingtrade

sideshowbob Trisha

I shall be smoking opium at my gentleman's club.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 29, 2004
  10. amazingtrade

SCIDB Moderator

A lot of places are charging. Places can get away it & people are prepare to pay it.

One of the downsides of this time of the year. I'm seeing it more and more.

I have always enjoyed it. Yes the money is very good.
    :cool:

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 30, 2004
  11. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MOst of my New Years celebrations have been of the house party type. Either visiting relations in Scotland, or quite often, just having friends and family all coming over our place. Can lead to a strange mix of people, but after a few drinks, it's funny to watch everyone mixing.

The last few years have been along the lines of, go out for a few drinks with friends, while my folks do the same. Then all pile back here and meet up.

I think I'll end up in the club my brother manages, then friends and family will end up back here. The club's open till 8am, but I don't intend staying till then.

MO!, Dec 30, 2004
  12. amazingtrade

Philip King Enlightened User

Friends round for an early dinner, then all off to the Opera, Verdi's Rigoletto, and then on to a drinking establishment or two to see the new year in.

Philip King, Dec 30, 2004
  13. amazingtrade

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I'll be flossing my dog's teeth.

leonard smalls, Dec 30, 2004
  14. amazingtrade

Will The Lucky One

I'll be going to a house party at one of my friends house - everybody decided paying extortionate amounts of money to be crammed into a bar and waiting 25 minutes to get serveds was pretty lame (that was what happened last year).

Then next week I've already started planning a belated new year celebration for the first day back at uni with my flatmates :D

Will, Dec 30, 2004
  15. amazingtrade

batfink

Looks like I'll be spending it with parents (not planned!) - ran into car trouble on the way up on Xmas eve and it won't be repaired until after New Year (car's only 2 years old!), so that puts a halt to my plans :mad:

batfink, Dec 30, 2004
  16. amazingtrade

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

House party happening here so no town centre hassle and dodge the pavement pizza for me. The fridge is already groaning under the weight! Thought I'd stock it up since Somerfield's have some good offers on the :guiness:

I'm inclined to agree with AT, the town centres are a nightmare on NYE. I personally really enjoy going out on New Years Day, there's still usually a few people about and all the amateurs will be at home praying to the porcelain gods so it's not full of yobs.

ilockyer, Dec 30, 2004
  17. amazingtrade

Graham C

New Years is definitely the most overhyped waste of time out there. Unless it's a house party you may as well stay at home [and invite drunks around your place].

Graham C, Dec 31, 2004
  18. amazingtrade

I really want to try and limit my drinking tonight, I am a bit bit worried since my mates getting here at 4:00, we can't get into any other pubs (no tickets) so we will end up getting drinks back here which can be a dangerous combination. I think I will buy bottles some 4% or so drink.

I either seem to fine in the morning and don't even have a slight head ache (this about 6-7 pints) or I am constantly in the toilet being sick (anything about 7 pints). There is never any inbetween and I don't know how I am going to be the next day.

I have been sick of the result of alchohol three times this year now, twice were because I was in a foreign country and didn't know the strength of the beer (lesson learn't) the other was after drinking cheap vodka mixers in a club.

amazingtrade, Dec 31, 2004
  19. amazingtrade

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Foreign beer is not only stronger, in the case of lager, it's usually actually pretty bloody good in comparison to what gets served up over here! Cheap vodka deals in clubs are fatal... I like vodka but avoid it for the sake of my liver! :guiness: Usually just stick to the beers or wine if at home.

ilockyer, Dec 31, 2004
  20. amazingtrade

Sid and Coke

Wife and I went round to a friends house last night and got roaringly drunk and so are both nursing huge hangovers. Eldest daughter (17) is off to the big party in Glasgow, son (15) is out with his mates in St Andrews, youngest daughter (13) is just around the corner at her freinds house which leaves me and 'er indoors very happily vegging out in the house in front of the box.
    I actually couldn't face a sniff of alcohol at the moment I feel so ill, my days of ' just drink through it' ended many years ago...

Hope you all have a nice time, whatever you are planning and that 2005 will be a good one for you.

Sid and Coke, Dec 31, 2004
Ask a Question