What CD with £350?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scarer, Dec 30, 2006.

1. scarer

scarer

I've been watching various CD players on ebay like cyrus cd6's and the MF x-ray and they seem to sell around £360 ish but I've heard mixed reviews.....
    If you had £350-£400 to spend on a used cd player, what would you be on the look out for?

I listen to all music types but mainly indie bands but I also listen to big band and jazz, along with pop so very wide ranging.
    At the moment due to space restraints, I am listening on headphones, MF x-can V2 or Heed canamp and AKG 701 or HD650's.

I also have, in the loft an Audiolab 8000a which i'm rather fond of but am looking to upgrade......when I have room for speakers!
    I'm quite interested in Meridian players as well.

I'm looking for a natural sound, I know it comes down to personal taste but I was wondering if I was missing a really good player for that sort of budget, a step above cyrus or MF?

Cheers:D

scarer, Dec 30, 2006
  2. scarer

DavidF

Hi Scarer,

May I take this sopportunity to welcome you to the forum.

I have just been listening to my brothers MF x ray v/MF x150/ Spender S5 combo over xmas........yep, it does very nicely.

Meridian also has a very good reputation

I'm sure there are others here who have experience of alternatives here who can suggest some further options.

regs

David

DavidF, Dec 30, 2006
  3. scarer

zanash

£350 is a bit between two stools ....in that a bit more will get you a very good cdp and a bit less will get you a very good budget cdp.

I like the marantz 5000series and they mod well or a second hand arcam a5 a truely superb deck lurks inside with a couple of tweaks..

At higher prices the quad 99cdp2 is hard to beat with its built in preamp and dac .....

oh and welcome too..................

zanash, Dec 30, 2006
  4. scarer

DavidF

.....I should add I can comfirm this....

my 5004 does very nicely in tweaked form.

DavidF, Dec 30, 2006
  5. scarer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Dec 30, 2006
  6. scarer

scarer

Thanks bottleneck, i'd got my eye on that one but there's also a 506.24 coming up as well but I don't know if there would be much noteable difference between the two?

I also liked the quad 99cdp as well and I see what you're saying Zanash about falling inbetween the two camps. I would rather lean towards the more hi end gear if it means say £50-£100 extra.

I'm also thinking that maybe my current cdp Arcam 7se might do but using an outboard DAC, I don't know?

Thanks for the welcome by the way!

scarer, Dec 30, 2006
  7. scarer

stickman

With the budget you have, I don't think it makes sense buying another one-box CD player when you already have a perfectly good transport in the 7SE. So, maybe.....

Alpha 7 SE as a transport (think the SE has the added optical digital output which wasn't on the basic 7).

Cheap <£5 optical interconnect off ebay.

Meridian 203 DAC ~ £100 off ebay.

£250 to save towards your speakers :D

Having owned both an Alpha 7 and a Meridian 203, I'd say the latter is a significant improvement.

And the bonus is, if you do't like it, you can sell the Meridian on for what you paid for it.

stickman, Dec 30, 2006
  8. scarer

Tenson Moderator

Hi,

The Behringer DEQ2496 makes a pretty fine DAC (with other tricks), and you have a pm about modding it too. :)

Tenson, Dec 30, 2006
  9. scarer

JANDL100

I'd use your current CDP as a transport and try a Beresford TC-7510 DAC. You can get these on a trial basis (i.e. money back if you don't want to keep it) on eBay direct from Beresford. I'd rate it up with DACs costing several hundreds at least, in fact I preferred it to my £1000 Benchmark DAC1 - and it actually costs less than £100.

Have a look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beresford-TC-...oryZ3272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JANDL100, Dec 30, 2006
  10. scarer

eric_audio

I can recommend Arcam CD23, but I don't know if you can get it for 400...

eric_audio, Dec 31, 2006
  11. scarer

rollo

Quad99 real bang for the buck,this unit gave my Lector CDP7tl a good challenge which costs 3 times more.The older gear like the Meridian is asolid but its old.The newer tech. of the quad betters the old.
    rollo

rollo, Dec 31, 2006
  12. scarer

rodrat

Buy an arcam a5 or 5+ and send it to Avondale for mods. A little above your budget but imo it is as good as you will get for less than a grand.

Rod

rodrat, Jan 2, 2007
  13. scarer

anubisgrau

rod,

can you pls elaborate on AAA5 sound? strengths, weaknesses, etc.

cheers ag

anubisgrau, Jan 2, 2007
  14. scarer

zanash

the a5 [modded] is one of the best cdp I've heard.....unmodded its grim I even sold one a couple of years back ....

I've recently picked one up after hearing a part modded unit ..to which I did a load more mods. The final sound was very beguiling ..most undigital. Its a testomny to the tda 1541 chip and the cdp design its shame that arcam bungled it sort of snatched defeat from the jaws of victory......otherwise it would have been a world beater......my part modded unit is on a par with the quad99, and when the mods are complete should out perform it by quite a margin...imo

zanash, Jan 2, 2007
  15. scarer

Neil

It's always worth looking at some of the more popular Chinese players which are around. I've spent a bit of time listening to a few as I often change my CD source - I recently sold an Eastsound E5 ( @ £300) to the owner of an Avondale A5 / high end Naim Amplification etc, he surprised me by saying "I wish Les could hear this!!". It was an astonishingly detailed player. I'm currently about to sell a Shanling CDS100 Mk 2 (see www.harmonia-audio.com/products/cd/shanlingcds100.html for info) which would be well under budget for you and - IMO of course!! - streets ahead of many £300 to £500 players.

Neil, Jan 2, 2007
  16. scarer

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Would £350 get you a secondhand Meridian 588 or 508.24 they are superb players, inmo.

Purite Audio, Jan 2, 2007
  17. scarer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

588? no way!

It would get you a Meridian 500 transport and a NOS Dac.

bottleneck, Jan 2, 2007
  18. scarer

anubisgrau

i guess you are talking about your mods? is this valid for AAA5 too?

anubisgrau, Jan 2, 2007
  19. scarer

rodrat

ag

For me the aaa5 has good tight bass, an almost analogue midrange and a clear but not sharp treble. Detail is excellent as is timing. Mine replaced a Linn Genki which although not to everyones taste is imo as good as the opposition at the £1000 price range. The aaa5 beats it in every area. I also have a cd3 which again in stock form is bettered in every area.given they use many of the same components. The cost of conversion is £375 (i think) plus the cost of the donor deck. You get a 4 year warranty.

When funds allow, I will send the cd3 off for avondale mods which I am told lifts the cd3 into high end territory albeit its costs £1200 odd.

Rod

rodrat, Jan 2, 2007
  20. scarer

anubisgrau

does aaa5 play CDRWs?

anubisgrau, Jan 2, 2007
Ask a Question