What CD with £350?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scarer, Dec 30, 2006.

1. scarer

Neil

Yes - theaaa5 is fine with CD/R or R/W. When I did the head to head between the Avondale and the E5 and Shanling we used a variety of CDs originals and copies and the Avondale coped well with all. I thought that the AAA5 was a little too analytical (if that's possible), it was as if some recordings were teased out too much. The other players were a bit more dynamic although the shanling did not have the last word in detail it's bass was tighter and over time would have been a bit more "at ease with all styles". Having said that the AAA5 is a first rate player - I'm probably not "flat earth" enough for it!

Neil, Jan 2, 2007
  2. scarer

scarer

Do you think the MF x-ray v3 will be a huge improvement over my Arcam 7se? It SHOULD be, shouldn't it?

I've been offered one at my local store s/h

scarer, Jan 3, 2007
  3. scarer

DavidF

Hi,

Just thought i'd through this in.....

I spent last xmas with my brother.

To cut a long story short, I had to admit his MF x*ay v3 /X100 (I think that was the amp) /Spe*dor floor stander combo had the edge on my modded Marantz 5001/zanash pre/ naim 140/Ruark Sceptre combo.

I since managed to damage the Marantz, so I recently took delivery of a pete modded Arcam A5, which always sounded pretty good.

I have also recently (the last week or so) been experimenting with different audio cones..

The conclusion?

Impressive!

It seems to have brought out the best in the Petes Arcam A5.

I reckon my system is now snapping at the heels of my brothers mu*ical fid*lity/spe*dor sytem, ........+ i'm still using floor standers..

Just my opinion FWIW,

cheers,

David

DavidF, Apr 4, 2007
  4. scarer

anubisgrau

2 days ago i got AAA5 i bought earlier this year from another PFM-er. the unit has never been in use after it was delivered from avondale audio except for a short test so it has less than 48 hours of repeat play on it since monday evening. not sure if this is enough for solid conclusions but i like an overall concept of the AAA5 sound. i would describe it as a rather holistic approach which is pretty much opposite from what audio freaks go for. it plays music as a whole rather than a sum of details and audiophile parts, it does that well, with a good spirit and joy.

I must say it is not very neutral - could be I am wrong but it reminds me a bit of an old LP12 from 20 years ago, before all the later upgrades. The bass is immensely tweaked, PRaT is the first class, and actually my first impression while it was still not even properly warmed up (let alone fully run in) yet is that it sounds like an old Sondek fully out of tune. After two days it got itself together and now my main objection is that I can hear traces of the typical TD 1541 sound, organic but with a noticeable bit of grain in mids that is actually evident on less than perfectly recorded vocals (and most of them are not unfortunately).

If this I could anyhow kill, I would be able to live with it.

I remember Pete once mentioned he was a bit surprised with Les' choice of opamps for it, I would appreciate if he could share some thoughts if this grainess can be eliminated with further mods I am ready to try on my side.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
    anubisgrau, Apr 4, 2007
  5. scarer

June

Hi everybody, I've seen a modified Arcam Alpha 5 for sale and I'm tempted to go for it. I've dtailed the mods below but I was wondering what else Avondale could add (and how much it would cost). Here goes -

CONVERTED TO A ZERO OVERSAMPLING DESIGN (NOS)
    THE DIGITAL FILTERING IS DEFEATED

THE ANALOGUE BOARD WITH THE DAC AND OUTPUT STAGE HAVE ALSO BEEN MODIFIED (UPGRADES INCLUDE THE POWER SUPPLY, ALL THE ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS ARE REPLACED AND UPGRADED WITH THE BEST TYPES FOR THE GIVEN TASK THE CIRCUIT DEMANDS)

THE CRITICAL CURRENT TO VOLTAGE CONVERSION STAGE COMBINED WITH CERTAIN ESOTERIC CIRCUIT MODIFICATIONS

THE OUTPUT SECTION IS ALSO UPGRADED AND THE TDA1541A IS ENHANCED WITH A HEATSINK AND DAMPER

THE BOARD IS FURTHER ENHANCED WITH DIETER ENNEMOSERS C37 LACK AND A NUMBER OF PWB ELECTRONICS PRODUCTS AND TECHNIQUES

Thanks in advance.

June, Apr 5, 2007
  6. scarer

DavidF

grain in the mids?

If its there is I don't notice it.

all I know currrently is it sounds very nice at the moment....as i say it seems to have responded very well to a) a slightly shorter set of stands and b) the use of oak cones under the stands.

Pete did mention that it compared very well with a certain high end cdp gaining at thre top end but perhpts not quite as strong at the bottom end.

The cones under my stands have boosted the bottom end frequencies and the depth of thw soundstage very nicely..it was sounding pretty good last night, though I say it myself :) .

I acn't really compare it with an LP12, I last heared my Uncle's 20 years ago...don't really remember it.

AS I say i had to give my brothers MF/spendor floorstanders best at xmas.....I reckon i'm snapping at his heels now :)

DavidF, Apr 5, 2007
  7. scarer

DavidF

Hi June,

2nd post?

Welcome! :)

I'm not a techy when it comes to electronics, so I don't know about the above...

You'll see from the notes on this thread that I am very favourably impressed with an AA5 modded by Zanash.

I haven't heared an Avondale modded A5 so can't compare......I would cartainly have a word Zanash see if he has another AA5 he has done performed his tricks on and have a listen (you'll find him an extremely helpful gentleman).

listen to them both if poss!

:)

cheers,

David

DavidF, Apr 5, 2007
  8. scarer

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

You should be able to get a used MkVII Eastsound CD-E5 for £350. It's extremely good for the money. Be careful though - it's a warts'n'all presentation so anything badly recorded/mastered will sound pants.

I've only used one NOS DAC before - the Lite model. Not hugely impressive but what do you expect for £100?

I personally use dvd players for CD/SACD playback. Some are very good. Most are awful. The Philips DVD 963sa and Sony DVP NS900V sound quite smooth and laid-back for £100. Very pleasant presentations from both machines, but not for bassheads (CD-E5 speciality). Pioneer DVDP's have much more reliable transports (IME) but can sound bright & glassy compared to the Sony & Philips.

Also consider the following:

Heart modded Marantz 6000 (triode output - nice)
    Marantz SA8400
    Marantz SA7001
    Sony SCD-XA3000ES (I have this - very smooth and well built. Available around £350)
    Rotel RCD-05/06

Good luck,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 5, 2007
  9. scarer

DavidF

....not sure as I'd sure a DVD player for decent music reproduction?

DavidF, Apr 5, 2007
  10. scarer

DaHood

Just bought one of these to go with my MF A3CD and Exposure 3010's.... I'm loving EVERY bit of it so far and it has not even been run in yet....! For £100 all in I cannot complain yet!

DaHood, Apr 5, 2007
  11. scarer

mr cat Member of the month

I dare say everyone who walks in with the right amount of cash has been... :D

mr cat, Apr 5, 2007
  12. scarer

lordsummit moderate mod

The Avondale is definitely worth it's money. It sounds really good in my system, and I can't imagine me getting rid of it. Search round and you should get one for about £350

lordsummit, Apr 5, 2007
  13. scarer

anubisgrau

definitely it's a serious contender, especially given the price. mine gets better after 3 or 4 days being on repeat and there is definitely less grain on vocals. it is not something really very noticeable but they are just not the cleanest. i still haven't experiment with vibration control, it just sits of a real feather soft cushion and i put 2 heavy books it.

yes it has a wonderful PRaT and music sounds like a real fun again in my room. i'm a bit ashamed to mention the episode but this morning i put a paul simon CD (from his box set) on, the one that covers late 80s/graceland era. after 5 minutes my wife and me started dancing in the room - most likely we looked like 2 half-woken-up morons, but it was that irresistible. on a less decent CDP i would normally hate graceland btw.

anubisgrau, Apr 5, 2007
  14. scarer

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

If you're on a budget and want the best sound-per-pound, then certain dvdp's offer the best solution imho. The Denon 2900 is pretty good too but unreliable. The Marantz 7600 is supposed to be pretty good too.

As to wether the best £500 dvd player will sound as good as the best £500 cd player...well that's unlikely. Still important to highlight the fact that some of these machines offer excellent all-round performance for the money.

Rgds,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 10, 2007
Ask a Question