What do you guys think of this combination?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Antipodean Brad, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Antipodean Brad

Antipodean Brad

I have a Trichord Alecto stereo amp, and a Classe 4 pre-amp, and have been looking for new speakers for a long time. I favour stand-mount speakers rather than floor-standers, and have the opportunity of a pair of ProAc Response 1sc's at a decent price.
    Do you think the amp and speakers would be a good match?
    I know that personal auditioning is the ideal, but I don't think I will have that opportunity.
    Perhaps valve amp's would be better (yes, I have a pair of them as well).
    As for music, no heavy rock, light classical, instrumental, some jazz, and we don't listen at high volumes. I use a space about 5 metres square of a room about 5 metres by 10 metres - yeah, the other half is the kitchen.

Thanks in advance.
    Brad

Antipodean Brad, Mar 3, 2006
  2. Antipodean Brad

zanash

I've heard the 1sc's and for a small speaker [if I have the right one ] sounded very good but I have not heard them with your amp. If you can get them at a good price and have some good stands I can't see too many problems.

zanash, Mar 3, 2006
  3. Antipodean Brad

i.j.russell

I used to own a pair of 1SCs and they are fantastic for the money. They are not perfect, but they do so many things right and nothing wrong. They are 'musical' speakers rather than hifi speakers. By this I mean that when you listen to them you listen to the music as a whole rather than attempting to impress the listener. They are a good long-term buy as they will support upgrades to your source and amplification.

Heartily recommended.

i.j.russell, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Antipodean Brad

Antipodean Brad

Thank you, both. I appreciate your comments.
    Brad

Antipodean Brad, Mar 4, 2006
  5. Antipodean Brad

greg Its a G thing

Brad - IIRC there are differences depending upon age. Plus there's scope to tweak them after purchase. Robbo has a tweaked pair, perhaps PM him for his opinion.

greg, Mar 4, 2006
  6. Antipodean Brad

Antipodean Brad

Thanks, Greg.
    You may be thinking of the original Response 1s's, which were replaced by the 1sc's. There is a big difference between the two, the latter being much better - as I understand it.

I would not be tweaking them - I am not into DIY - destroy it yourself!

Antipodean Brad, Mar 6, 2006
  7. Antipodean Brad

greg Its a G thing

Hi Brad. No I mean there are variants of the 1sc. I've found the thread where Robbo describes his upgrade process, I realise this isnt of interest, but the post I link to here shows a pic of a newer variant, you can compare to Robbo's pictures to determine the differences.

greg, Mar 6, 2006
Ask a Question