What does everyone think of these?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by angi73, May 16, 2005.

1. angi73

angi73

New JL Audio Domestic Subwoofers

Perhaps more HT intended, but they ought to be reasonably musical, they claim up to 4" peak to peak excursion :eek: I like some of their in car products.

have a look, for yourself:

here
    http://www.jlaudio.com/HT/fathom.html
    and here
    http://www.jlaudio.com/HT/gotham.html

They use a modified version of the W7 driver. Also use some kind of room optimization using a mic like velodyne does. I hazard that they arent bad subs, proably more HT oreintated, dare i get flamed :inferno:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2005
    angi73, May 16, 2005
  2. angi73

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

4" excursion! Must be using some very baggy rubber surrounds!

Dynamic Turtle, May 16, 2005
  3. angi73

angi73

Yes the 4" bit must be via a different measurement or with the two driver model, thats what the ceo says in the video anyway. Or just bullshit

I know the standard version has an xmax of 32 mm/1.25ins, which is pretty outstanding. The surround is some kind of foam, not rubber by the way.

angi73, May 16, 2005
  4. angi73

Anex Thermionic

Where are you getting the excursion figures from? I wondered why JL didn't make any home stuff. I had a couple of their 10s in stereo in my old car. They were pretty good.

Anex, May 16, 2005
  5. angi73

julian2002 Muper Soderator

power measurments in pmpo catalogue speak from a 7.5k sub isn;t reassuring. however they are, as you say, well respected in car audio circles so...
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, May 16, 2005
  6. angi73

angi73

yes in thought someone would pick that up, power was stated as "maximum" strange, because all their car amps are stated soley in RMS, and are stable from voltages from 11 to 15 volts, with the same conservatively rated power.

I guess they are trying to appeal to yanks into HT

angi73, May 16, 2005
  7. angi73

pauldixonuk pmc & bryston

The 4" vmax is true. Many years ago I had some 10" JL's with an excursion of 2.5". These are totally nuts, and yes they're for HT. I can't imagine they will integrate into a music system at all, using anything approaching their full potential. I was tempted by these, just for a laugh with films, but I won't bother. I just sold my REL as that was impossible to integrate, or to get any non-blurred noises out of it.

Finest speakers I've yet to hear for 'sensible' bass db are pmc IB2. These units are stunning for output and proper control.

pauldixonuk, May 16, 2005
  8. angi73

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I beg to differ Paul (but then I would :) )

wadia-miester, May 16, 2005
  9. angi73

Matt F

They look very nice (though I note no frequency responses are quoted) but their problem would look to be price - you're talking Velodyne DD prices and that's for the single driver ones!

Matt.

Matt F, May 16, 2005
  10. angi73

WM, but you have heard more gear than me - that's cheating :D

11. angi73

ListeningEar

My Von Schweikert VR-S/3 subwoofer has a true 2" excursion and integrates extremely well with my monitors. I did lend it out on dem once to a Chap who had been using an MK reference sub, he said the VR-S/3 totally out-shone the MK in the musical area but the MK had the thump for movies and AV.
    Problem is, people are not exactly well tuned to how proper bass should sound. Movies tend to have the 'big-bang' single tone impact, so many of the subs on the market sound pretty good in an AV system, which people think is proper bass.
    There is a smaller VR-S/1 subwoofer now which gets rave responses from the US market and I hear that there will be a new reference model a VR-S/4 that will replace the model I have.
    Here's a link below for the VR-S/3:
    http://www.vonschweikert.com/vrs3.html
    Mine is finished in the light grey cloth wrap with highly polished blonde maple wood.

ListeningEar, May 16, 2005
  12. angi73

Your right. My REL could only do one part just right... the opening sequence of T2, when the robot stamps on the skull - THUD. That's it. That's all it could ever do properly. Not much help with anything else.

How much are the velodyne subs in £ anyway? The DD12 looks like it may be a useful size, between speed and output.

13. angi73

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul,
    why not make a day of it, ask Robbo nicely for listen to his, then pop on down for some musical Pmc performance with tighter and deeper bass. you know you want too :)

wadia-miester, May 16, 2005
  14. angi73

Robbo

The DD12 is £2500. What would you want to pair it with?

Robbo, May 16, 2005
  15. angi73

Robbo

WM, so you are suggesting he goes to Merlins after mine then?

Robbo, May 16, 2005
  16. angi73

Matt F

I thought it was £2350. Anyway, it is probably the ideal size/performance compromise - down to 17Hz (-3db anechoic)!! Speed should be spot on too as THD is <1%.

One of those will be top of my list when I put together a surround sound system (in a separate room) again in the future.

Matt F, May 16, 2005
  17. angi73

Well, my favorite speakers so far are ATC50 actives (that would enjoy a sub for company) or just a pair of pmc IB2 passives (which don't need any help). So I will most likely just go pmc to avoid the integration hassles. Mind you, I am open to other options, so will try and hear some larks and maybe merlins, or somesuch else. I have a few more weeks to decide before I dig out the cheque book.

18. angi73

Robbo

I think it depends on the finish, mines in cherry which is more expensive than the black one.

Robbo, May 16, 2005
  19. angi73

angi73

There is more info and some short videos here http://www.jlaudio.com/HT/index.html

I have a 12" W3v2 in my car and i think it is superb, it integrates as well as you can expect, all of the probelms of car audio considered. Goes bloody loud with composure too! The 13mm xmax is quite reasonable too.

I have always thought about getting a high power amp panel and whacking a W7 in a small custom box, ought to work pretty well.

angi73, May 16, 2005
  20. angi73

In my experience your best to stick to one sealed box 10" JL, if you really must. Anymore is plain daft. I have done the whole phoenix gold, dynaudio car thing many years ago, but it's a bit teeneger IMHO. Anyway, since I bought a house I only ever use whatever comes with the car. German's seem to fit ok bose gear anyway. Car hifi is an oxymoron btw.

Ask a Question