What gone wrong? Help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by monotone, Jan 27, 2006.

1. monotone

monotone

Hi everyone.

Need some help... moved the amp out of the cabinet as I've realised that with the warm summer going on, the amp is heating up quickly and stayed really hot.

After the move, while testing the set up, whenever I increase the volume on the higher side, the amp 'clips', and the music comes back when the volume is back lower.

I've doubled checked my speaker cables connection etc. All correctly done.

Anything I should look into or the heat has caused the amp to play up and need to head to the service centre?

Thanks for any suggestions.

monotone, Jan 27, 2006
  2. monotone

zanash

I'd dismantle it again and re connect but check the speaker cables for shorts at the amp and speaker end. I've had similar with a tiny strand of copper bridging the contacts ...everything was ok at low level but with any volume it would cut out. If you still have the problem you may need to resort to servicing.

zanash, Jan 27, 2006
  3. monotone

Stuart

It wasn't that hot yesterday, so as Zanash suggests probably just an errant strand of wire getting in the way. Have you had any luck sorting this out today?

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Jan 28, 2006
  4. monotone

monotone

Hey Stuart. I've lowered the amp into the shelf for awhile now... looked better but I guess it's a bad move. Was playing ok on the NYE party (44 that day & stayed at 30+ in the evening).

Unplugged everything, then just connected CD & speakers to the amp. Clicking continues... think it'll b back to Marantz. I find is heating up quickly and stayed hotter than usual too.

monotone, Jan 30, 2006
  5. monotone

zanash

Did you check the speaker end of the cables.....also check the cables themslves for breaks or damage from pets vermin or small children ...not nessesarily in that order.

zanash, Jan 30, 2006
  6. monotone

monotone

Tried again zanash. Still clipping. *sigh*

Thanks again.

monotone, Jan 30, 2006
  7. monotone

Stuart

That sounds no good at all. Hope you get it sorted.

Regards, Stuart.

Stuart, Feb 3, 2006
  8. monotone

dreftar

The words parasitic oscillation spring to mind. Im not a tech so dont ask me too much about it. Id try connecting another pair of speakers to your amp, preferably a pair with fairly high impedence.

dreftar, Feb 3, 2006
  9. monotone

monotone

After months of investigation (with Marantz), over the shut down of the amp when playing at higher volume... it all came down to the speaker cable... A 3.5m length of Audioquest Gibraltar cable.

Whenever the cable in plugged into the amp, you can hear the click sound made by the amp.

However, when replaced with 2 other shorter length of the same cables and then running the amp, there wasn't any problem at all.

The puzzling thing is... when I use the (apparently faulty) 3.5m cable on the power amp to run the center speaker, everything is ok.

Anyone can help explain this or experienced similar situation?

monotone, Apr 7, 2006
  10. monotone

zanash

I think dreftar has something ......

Don't use that cable its charactoristics don't suite the amp....try something else.

zanash, Apr 7, 2006
Ask a Question