What have you done with your T-amps?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Apr 6, 2005.

1. zanash

zanash

I recieved mine last week, and have been thinking about the case work. In the end I went conventional [see pics] The unit is powered by an external toroidal full wave PSU generating 12-15 +- volts at 0.5 amp. The Green band is a perspex block and is illuminated from within by a green led, this show the amp is switched on.

In unmodified form, using the crappy vol pot this amp makes music. It might not be right [yet] but this really is something special. I intend to use two of these to power my ML Aerius i's using one channel per drive unit. The power output is also a suprise it seems to give 15 very big watts, and puts to shame the modded Nad3020 that was in my second system.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2006
    zanash, Apr 6, 2005
  2. zanash

Hodgesaargh

That looks cool!

Hodgesaargh, Apr 6, 2005
  3. zanash

zanash

So ok I have both amps up and running in dual mono, each channel of the two amps is powering a drive unit in my hybrid electrostatics. Is there enough power I hear you cry ...... Yes For normal listening levels there is just enough. Higher volumes the things start to clip. What expect you really want to know is how good are they, is the hype hype? Well to answer that in a word.... no. They really live up to the reputation set by the reviews in TNT and moon thingy. Oh yes mine have only run for an hour....they say 50-100 to start to rally hear what the things can do. And finally what have they replaced ....Quad 707. Verdict so far is that they do imaging in buckets, and they are musical, loads of that prat thing. They are completely silent between notes. But I still feel that they are trying to hard, the quads have a natural ease and a bit extra slam. But the T-amps run the 707 very very close embarissingly so.

zanash, Apr 12, 2005
  4. zanash

Mr_Sukebe

Pete,
    Good update, thanks for that. Here's a few questions for you:
    - Are these good enough to permanently displace the Quad?
    - Is there a limit to the number that could be used in a system, ie. could you run say two per speaker?
    - Can the volume control be by-passed? A thought would be to have say an AV pre-amp on the front end, using these as straight power amps. Is that a viable idea? The might make rather good monoblock amps for AV rear channel duties?

Mr_Sukebe, Apr 12, 2005
  5. zanash

zanash

I'm running thes as power amps ....ie no vol pot the Quad pre amp or the CDP pre amp section does the switching and volume. My wife said she couldn't tell the difference or the T-amps are as least as good as the 707 power amp.

I can't see a problem with the number you use....if your doing what I have. Each T-amp is running a pair of drivers. As to your cabers[?] three drive units so you would need three amps just dasiey chain up the inputs so one and a half amps to each channel. But can see a problem with the AV idea...though they may be too good for that use !!

I think I 've another two amps on the way ! I asked friends in the states to look out for a couple of amps ....seems like they found them !

zanash, Apr 13, 2005
  6. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

do you have some more efficient speakers to try them with Pete?

seems a little much to ask them to drive electrostatics if they are the same as the T-amp?

just curious how they fare with more reasonable load.

bottleneck, Apr 13, 2005
  7. zanash

avanzato

I have mine running some prototype (ie Cardboard) Ciare CH250 Open Baffles and the T-amp sounds nice but I can't see why it's being hyped so much. It's very plasticy and to 'get it working right' the DIY mods seem to be endless. I've ordered some 41hz Amp3 kits to try instead, I think they're sitting in the post office now.

avanzato, Apr 14, 2005
  8. zanash

zanash

I have an old pair of Chartwell pm 110 mkII [circa '79] I have these hoooked to a second system in the conservatory...the t- amps were hook to these as I was modding them. They sounded as loud as the Nad 3020 bid...in fact they played as loud as I could comfortabley listen to them with out any obvious distortion.

The martin logans are not that hard to drive.....though the T- amps have run into trouble a couple of times ..either out running the 0.5 psu or into clipping not certain which yet. The LED dimmed on heavy bass passages....

I don't want to say there best thing since the last best thing....it just that many of the reviewers certainly on the web seen to have got it about right.

My mods include replacement of the c3 c4 input caps with 2.2 uf oscons [all I had of that value ]. Complete rewiring with solid core 4n silver wire ptfe sheathed. removal of the vol pot, ribon cable and 3.5mm input jack, input point is now at the ribon cable ......so far.

Will they replace the Quad ? We will see after they have had a couple of hundred hours burm in.......but they do sound better after the 48 or so hour so far.

zanash, Apr 14, 2005
  9. zanash

zanash

oh yes swapped the 5mm red for ultrabright clear greens to illuminate the green/yellow perspex.

zanash, Apr 14, 2005
  10. zanash

avanzato

Mines running warm but with no trouble from a 1.2amp 12v power block however NiMH batteries were a complete disaster, it worked OK for about an hour then started crackling and cutting out. This was into some 8ohm but inefficient Tangband TMLs, the Ciare drivers are 4ohm nom. and 96dbw and they will go loud enough on the T-amp which seems quite happy running them so far.

avanzato, Apr 14, 2005
  11. zanash

technobear Ursine Audiophile

So what are these mini-marvels like with headphones? :confused:

technobear, Apr 15, 2005
  12. zanash

zanash

not tried yet.......that was the route I was going down if they failed as a main amp.

zanash, Apr 15, 2005
  13. zanash

andrew1810

I have finally got around to ordering one of these amps (only $20+shipping!) and am planning on making a few improvements when it arrives.

Will it be reasonably straight forward to add binding posts and RCA inputs to it, I will probably change the box as well for a maplin job.

Also, would it be at all possible to add a headphone out, this would be VERY useful so am willing to do extra work to get this bit to work.

It should be here in the next couple of weeks, might take a bit longer because its being shipped to an American address and then forwarded on.

Thanks

Andrew

andrew1810, Apr 15, 2005
  14. zanash

Hodgesaargh

Yes I too would be interested in adding a headphone output. Might transpose it to a better case as well.

Hodgesaargh, Apr 15, 2005
  15. zanash

zanash

It should be easy to add a head phone socket ......as I said not really thought deeply about it. You need to get the output resistors right other wise you can run into problems. As for the speaker connections and input its a peice of cake.....as long as you have a solder sucker. Its very ...very VERY VERY easy to lift the minute 0.5mm pcb tracks, when you remove the wires. I did it when replacing the input tracks and required a little lateral thinking to sort the problem. If my other units had arrive I might just have binned the damaged one it was that hard. I had to find a length of track away from the break but on the same curcuit and scrape off the enammel and carefully CARFULLY resolder.

zanash, Apr 16, 2005
  16. zanash

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hi, a bit late to the party again.
    I've ordered one of these from Mr_Sukebe hopefully will be able to get my hands on it soon. The idea was to replace the wife's aging system, currently housed in the conservatory (as far away from my system as possible, not exactly the same taste in music, another story).

I had a couple of questions.
    If you have multiple device to hock up, tuner, cd, record deck, could you use a preamp? I'd be looking for a small pair of speakers to match this unit, any recommendations, the smaller the better, trying to keep as much sound quality as possible.

Also I have a 12v PSU brought originally to power a CB radio, would this be good enough to power this unit. its 13.8v I think.

Mr_Sukebe suggested I replace the volume control, now I'm not able to solder, is this just a pull off, push on replacement, or is there more to it?

I would like to put this unit in a box with a power supply (effectivly one box) for simplicities sake, (the wife must be able to operate it), anyone done this with any success?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2005
    lhatkins, Jun 22, 2005
  17. zanash

TimA

Zanash,

I have been looking for someone who uses the T-amp successfully with ESLs in order to determine whether this amp will cope with such a load. After much searching it seems I have found someone....you! Could you please tell me which ESLs you use with the T-amp? I also wish to determine whether or not the T-amp will work with the Quad ESL-57 or the Final 0.3 and would be grateful for any information you can offer.

Many thanks in advance,
    Tim.

TimA, Jul 5, 2005
  18. zanash

zanash

OOPs two request for info ...sorry must have missed the emails.....

Ok whilst at rsand's [rob] we tried a single t amp on the quad 988[?] the output was enough to drive them loud.
    Now I use a pair form Martin logans and get enough volume for me ....!

TimA pm me !

Ihatkins .... pm me !

basically I've a load of info that may be pertainent but this is not the area to
    discuss it.

zanash, Jul 5, 2005
  19. zanash

CambshireGordon

Hi Tim,
    I have imported 4 SI's from USofA and am currently evaluating them for use with my ESL63's. Stock Si', without burn-in, show good promise. Hooking them up to my ESL's I, have been impressed like many others with the detail / clarity / openness of the sound.
    VOLUME: More than adequate (for me) on most occaisions. I feel that the little Si's are operating at just below clipping and I would be happier if there were just that bit more in reserve.
    MY SET-UP: :Quad: ELS63's/33/303 pre and power / B&W Accoustitune (passive) subwoofer. Panasonic battery powered Dvd/Cd player.
    The SI's currently replace the 33/303. The sub remains in situ. I believe your 57's may be a bit more sensitive than my 63's.
    ROOM SETTING: Victorian villa style with the traditional angled three sided bay window to the front. The ESL's are either side of this 3.7m (12 feet) wide wall, slightly toed-in, towards my listening position which faces the window and is some 3.4m (11 feet) from the ELS's. There is only 0.5m (18 inches) between the backs of the ELS's and the wall - not ideal but I do have some drapes hanging behind them to absorb some of the sound eminating from the rear. There is no wall behind my listening spot - the front and rear rooms have been knocked into one. The rear dining area is some 3.2m (10 feet 6 inches) square.
    MUSICAL GENRE: mainly classical, orchestral, opera, choral, solo voice, piano; some modern, but not 'heavy'; I am not into head banging!
    And now for the BUT ... ...
    Before I start on the upgrade path, I have become aware of the new AudioDigit "T Amp" kit based on the TA2002 chip, offering a bit more power and does not use SMD, therfore it should be much easier to work on. At 80 Eruos I am almost certain I will buy one to evaluate. :tempted:
    The URL's are - www.audiodigit.com & www.autocostruire.com

I am no Hi-Fi journalist and trying to put "the aural experience' into words is not easy for me but I hope this may be of some help to you. Regards,
    CambshireGordon

CambshireGordon, Jul 7, 2005
  20. zanash

zanash

very intresting !

zanash, Jul 7, 2005
Ask a Question