What is music to YOU?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Dec 1, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Following on from the How many of you are *REALLY* music lovers? thread. I'm interested to know what it is about music that appeals to YOU?

Not sure if should post this here or on the music or chat sections, but MOre chance of people reading it here. Which sort of says something in itself I guess.....

To me music can be MOod altering, or take an already mild eMOtion and amplify it. As I've mentioned elsewhere before, I get to hear "live" music pretty much daily. My brother writes and plays his own stuff on acoustic guitar. He's played a few gigs (great one last night), and though it's all quite low key (Nick Drake, Badly Drawn Boy etc... have been heard muttered aMOngst listeners), people do tend to stop and pay attention. The buzz I get from that is matched by few other things. Yes i'm biased, but still ;)

To me, music can be background and just some nice sounds as a backdrop to conversation. Or it can be something where I just turn it up and sink into it. A sad tune can make me stop and reflect, while a MOre upbeat tune can have me bouncing about and smiling! Stuff like Aphex and Squarepusher has many times caused me to jus sit and smile! If it's on and a few people are round, people often look round and just sort of nod like "yeah! ****in right".

I love music.

It can remind me of certain times. A tune may remind me of an event in my life. It may me make reflect on something happy or sad. It may even make me happy or sad!

It stirs my blood!

This may sound a bit over the top and perhaps cheesy to some reading. But if it doesn't and you can relate (and add), that's probably because you're passionate about it too!

Cheers!

MO

Bangin man!!! :banana: :slayer: :boogie: :MO!: :punk: :elephant: :techno: :jig: :pRaT:

MO!, Dec 1, 2003
  2. MO!

maddog 2

if you create a line of tasmanian devils/bigfoot things do their arms coordinate to do a body popping thing?

maddog 2, Dec 1, 2003
  3. MO!

maddog 2

sorry MO!

music is like riding a Fireblade down the road to Devils Bridge. I'm not sure you can verbalise it but it's very real. And in the moment you are not living one second behind the times.

How's that.

maddog 2, Dec 1, 2003
  4. MO!

maddog 2

:pRaT: :pRaT: :pRaT: :pRaT: :pRaT: :pRaT:

c/mon guys.... get with it.

maddog 2, Dec 1, 2003
  5. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

but
    but
    fireblade is honda
    honda is gay:confused:

penance, Dec 1, 2003
  6. MO!

HenryT

Hmm, a difficult question to answer, because for me music is where I retreat for all those things which can't always be adequately expressed in words....

To me, it's all the things MO said... It's also all the old cliches like it having the power "to calm to savage breast" and it also being the "food of love" (or a substitute for ... ;) ).

Music is most definitely therapy (or like having a good therapist) for me...

It's the best drug in the world! :D

It's a best friend, can be enjoyed socially or in solitary, comforting or inspring in the way it brings back memories or reminders of people or past events.

Witnessing live music making is also one of the most magical experiences, especially when you sometiems get the feeling that you're connecting with the soul of the performers or composer.

HenryT, Dec 1, 2003
  7. MO!

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Music is all things to all people, I find it an inseperable companion on the high and byways of exsistance.
    music can soothe the soul, or instill emtions from deep joy, to immense euphoria, to imagine life without music is some what disturbing.

wadia-miester, Dec 1, 2003
  8. MO!

Gambit Junior Vice President

I think the appeal of music is that, whilst being one of the greatest achivements of humans as a general, it's completely depended on opinion. Music is definatly an art form, perhaps our finest, but everyone in the world can have different opinions on what is the pinacle of it - maybe Scouse House floats your boat and makes you feel alive, maybe you loose yourself in Floyd or Tool, or maybe you go back in time with some Gregorian chants; whatever, it's extremely unlikely anyone will have the exactly the same musical tastes as you, yet lots of others will appreciate similar music. It's massivly unique and extremely personal and can even define you as a person whilst being at the same time one of the most talked about and socially enjoyable subjects (barring, of course, group sex).

J'adore

Gambit, Dec 1, 2003
  9. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I read that with a smile.

It's hard to put into words, but well put :D

MO!, Dec 1, 2003
  10. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Is it just me, or does anybody else relate to music the same way.....

I find that only a small proportion of music gives an incredibly large emotional response. I'd say approximately 10% of my record collection does this.

Im talking about goose bumps, shivers down the spine, huge cheshire cat grins etc, glad to be alive etc.

The other 90% is kind of enjoyable to a greater or lesser extent..

Viva La Goosebump!

One day I hope to get it up to 20%!!!!

NB - My current source of goosebumps... you could say I have a (small?!?!?!?!) back catalogue to catch up on.

http://www.johnnycash.com/discography.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2003
    bottleneck, Dec 1, 2003
  11. MO!

HenryT

I'd say the opposite is true for me Chris. :) But that's because I tend to gravitate towards music which appeals to me that way i.e. music that evokes a large emotional response. That's one of the reasons I have a lot of classical in my collection, as I find that particular genre consistently to have the most intense emotional impact (IMHO of course).

HenryT, Dec 1, 2003
  12. MO!

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Nice one Henry :)

Never fear tho, I spend 90% of my time listening to the 10% !

bottleneck, Dec 1, 2003
  13. MO!

HenryT

LOL! :D

HenryT, Dec 1, 2003
  14. MO!

maddog 2

:D

you know, all men are gay really.

maddog 2, Dec 2, 2003
  15. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

lol:D

penance, Dec 2, 2003
  16. MO!

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Could have fooled me! If only it were true :(

A mate of mine reckons the difference between a str8 man and a gay man is about 6 pints of beer :lol:

Funnily enough I used to ride a Honda and I thought it was the worst bike I ever owned.

My Yamaha was the best :cool:

As for music, it is the strongest mind-altering drug on Earth - and you can choose to experience any emotion you want with it. Of all the things I love about this life, music is at the very top of the pile. You could take everything else but not that - unless of course you exchange it for a timber house by a lake surrounded by forests and mountains :D Then again, no...

Chris

technobear, Dec 2, 2003
  17. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

It's also the most addictive and easy to spot - my needle habit is now filling up my bedroom as well as my lounge - talk about trackmarks!!!

Music can also enhance the best *other* drugs in the world...

Hmm - for me, I only have the odd track that really gives me goosebumps, but when I get in the right mood, almost all my collection can do that - it's really weird! 3 tracks that never fail are "Make me smile (come up and see me)" - Steve Harley/Cockney Rebel, "The music of the night" - Michael Crawford, and (Mick Parry'd be proud!) "Think of me" from Phantom - even though it has Sarah Brightman's impossible to reproduce sibilants!

Isn't it a real "bummer" that the man's G-spot is (allegedly) up his arse? I'd not know personally, but if so, than Depeche Mode didn't know how accurate they were when they penned "Blasphemous rumours" - God indeed has a sick sense of humour if that's the case, since a large proportion of men are therefore missing out on a maximum "big O" (although that could work on both levels as well - I think I'm going to shut up here!!!).

domfjbrown, Dec 2, 2003
  18. MO!

maddog 2

went from a C90 to a RD125 then........ :rolleyes:

maddog 2, Dec 2, 2003
  19. MO!

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Huh! I hope you're standing with your G-Spot to the wall when you make that observation :torkmada:

:lol:

technobear, Dec 2, 2003
  20. MO!

penance Arrogant Cock

getting worried now!

penance, Dec 2, 2003
Ask a Question