What is my legal position?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Nov 6, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've just bought a new portable cd player £35 Sony one from Argos to replace my £50 panasonic one that lasted 6 months.

However the max volume is too quiet for it to be any practical use. I can here myself typing as I am listening to music. Am I entitled to my money back or at least a cover note so I can get a better one?I can't see how mine is fit for purpose.

amazingtrade, Nov 6, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

i think that with electronic goods you have a statutary right to return it within 28days for any reason. So long as all packaging is OK etc..

penance, Nov 6, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Argos will take it back no problem.

PBirkett, Nov 6, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Yep, they took back an Alba DVD player that I decided I didn't like. I just told them it didn't work. Also returned a TV aerial that didn't work and they gave me a £40 refund as opposed to £20 by mistake!

nsherin, Nov 6, 2003
  5. amazingtrade

Robert Edgar

Are you sure it hasn't got a volume limiter on it or you have plugged the headphone into The line out.

Robert

Robert Edgar, Nov 6, 2003
  6. amazingtrade

Nope there is no options any where to mention turning off any limiter. Also the was one of those packages that you had to cut open with scissors so there is no way Argos could resell it, its not like it came in a resealable box.

I can just about hear it on the bus but its not much use.

7. amazingtrade

Donut

You can take it back for a refund if within the time limit (7 days?) no problem. I got a bush TT from them just to see what it was like with no intention of keeping it, just to compare it with the Debut II - OK as it happens for £50 but Debut MUCH better - took it back a few days later saying that the colour didn't match my other units:rolleyes: the gave me a refund - no questions......
    Not a problem that the packaging it dammaged - you only have to include the original packaging.
    Donut

Donut, Nov 6, 2003
  8. amazingtrade

HenryT

Argos have a 16 day no quibble money back policy.

Only the goods themselves need to be returned in undamaged condition and complete with anything else that came in the box, it doesn't matter that you've torn the box trying to get into it in the first place.

Although I do find it odd that there isn't a switchable volume limiter control feature, as IME, Sony and Aiwa personals that I've onwed in the past have this feature which can be disabled so that you can do damage to your ears if you so wish. :) Unless the thing really is knackard... :confused:

HenryT, Nov 6, 2003
  9. amazingtrade

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Nov 6, 2003
  10. amazingtrade

Lol yep nevermind. I will try and return it tomorrow and get a better one.

11. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

or use more sensitive (or is it insensitive :confused: ) headphones

Rory, Nov 6, 2003
  12. amazingtrade

I've tried changing the headphones but the ones I am using Senheiser PX40 are designed for portable use and go very loud.

13. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

If it's the D-E330 that I've got (it's on the shelf beside me), then I'd agree that it does have crap volume out on it, compared to either of my portable minidisc units.

nsherin, Nov 6, 2003
  14. amazingtrade

Its the E340, I have managed to get my old one working a bit, my sister told me she dropped it so I decided to take it apart, I took a few springs out and a clip and now it plays all the cds fine it just sounds like a tractor when it first access the tracks and the spindle is loose.

However it sounds much much better than the Sony did in every way. I will give my repaired version a bus test tomorrow it passed I won't bother buying a new one, if its not pracitical (i.e the loud noise scares old ladies) then I shall buy a new Panasonic (better the devil you know).

Edit: Woops I discovered the reason why it sounds like a tractor is because I have removed the suspension and the spring I removed absorbed the shocks so I better not risk the bus test as it will proably scratch my cds.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2003
    amazingtrade, Nov 7, 2003
  15. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

you could always open it back up and put the spring back in of course :rolleyes: :confused:

MO!, Nov 7, 2003
  16. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

AT - as Henry says, it's 16 days no quibble return.

I too have "hired" a Bush turntable from there while my Rega was having a new cartridge fitted; I HAD to hear the new Foo Fighters album, and I'd just written off my Dynavector MC :( Barring motor noise and a diamond the size of "the heart of the ocean" on the end of the arm (so it got stuck or jumped on almost anything regardless of condition!) it didn't sound too bad actually...

My mate Vince is the king of Argos "hiring" though - he hired a 28 inch Bush telly to watch the 1998 World Cup, hired a BBQ *and* used it AND got a refund WITHOUT cleaning it!!! - and then there was the time (from Richers this time I think) of the minidisc portable, the orange juice, and the "oh, it was bust when I got it" - jammy get got a new one for nought!

Most Sonys have AVLS on them - I don't know how you turn it off, but certainly on my old one if you held one of the buttons (repeat?) in when turning it on, it'd stop that annoying beep noise. Panasonics go louder than Sonys, but both have badly designed spindles that end up slipping down the motor and rubbing on the chassis.

Oh - and the Panasonics groove better but are sensitive to taxi CB interference - sounds like a similar situation to Naim amps working like MW radio receivers to me ;)

domfjbrown, Nov 7, 2003
  17. amazingtrade

HenryT

LMAO! :ffrc: So what excuse did he give when he returned the BBQ? :D

HenryT, Nov 7, 2003
  18. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I can't remember - but you know what he's like!!!!

domfjbrown, Nov 7, 2003
  19. amazingtrade

I ended up buying another Sony cd player this one with artrec compression and mp3 playback. But is still got the same loudness problem so I guess I take this back and go for a Panasonic but the sales staff said in Dixons that there is no difference between them all. I'm confused. The shop I bought this one from was a proper shop that said I can return it no problem if its not to my liking, oh argos also let me return it.

amazingtrade, Nov 7, 2003
  20. amazingtrade

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

just and idea..

one of those little portable headphone amps? - I think PB put up a post to them once, they come in sweet tins I seem to recall.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Nov 7, 2003
Ask a Question