What is the best Hardware - Software for Computer Sourced Sounds

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Feb 3, 2006.

1. dreftar

dreftar

I use a Monitor Audio Delta1010 system from my lovely wee Shuttle Computer. I copy my CDs using monkey audio codec and play through FooBar software. Its not that brilliant and would welcome any ideas to imptove on the sound. :MILD:

dreftar, Feb 3, 2006
  2. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

The Delta 1010 is a pretty decent card. The best suggestion would be to use an external DAC via optical.

Monkey Audio is lossless isn't it?

Tenson, Feb 3, 2006
  3. dreftar

dreftar

The delta Audio has an external DAC connected by a rather large (diameter) cable from the computer. It also has an external power supply. Monkey Audio is a lossless codec. The sound is OK but doesnt really compare to my CDs. I use the DAC on the Monitor Audio with my CD player.

dreftar, Feb 3, 2006
  4. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

While the Delta is external, it isn't really designed with ultimate sound in mind. They have to pack a lot of inputs and outputs in there for the money. The PSU could probably be improved as well.

It just won’t compare to a high-end DAC. I don't even find my computer via an Edirol FA-101 optical out compares to my low-end Cambridge Audio transport with AES/EBU output, both into the same DAC.

Still, YMMV.

What are you comparing it to? It should hold up well to budget-end players up to £600 or so.

Edited to add, have you tried it against something from the likes of Edirol? I found Edirol had slightly better sound. More refined. Not really a lot in it though.

Tenson, Feb 3, 2006
  5. dreftar

dreftar

I live in a remote location - THE Shetlands- and dont have access to much equipment. My Cd player is an ageing marantz 63 SE.

dreftar, Feb 3, 2006
  6. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

I'd have thought it would match that quite easily... Have you tried CD's direct from the Delta (rather than ripped)?

If it still isn't as good I'd bet on the PSU needing to be improved. A guy on here called WM might be of help with that. Is it a standard voltage? It has been a few years since I used a Delta 1010.

Tenson, Feb 3, 2006
  7. dreftar

DavidY80 Long Member

Have you thought about trying a Squeezebox?

DavidY80, Feb 4, 2006
  8. dreftar

dreftar

I do play CDs direct from the my Marantz CD digital output through the Delta and thats pretty much OK (at the moment) - The sound, however from the computer source is less than OK - lacks focus, mushy and a bit like my vision without my glasses.

dreftar, Feb 4, 2006
  9. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

Ahh okay so its not the Delta itself thats the problem. Try downloading ASIO drivers for whatever music player you use. There are some for Winamp but they seem a little buggy. I think there are also some for Foobar.

This will give a better sound than using Media Player or Winamp using DirectSound outputs.

I think I only have the ASIO plug-in for Winamp 2 but I believe Thorsten (3D Sonics) has one for Winamp 5?

Also, when you say direct from the computer, do you mean from Money Audio or from the CD drive in the computer? Compare a wav extraction to a money audio one and see if you can hear a difference.

Tenson, Feb 4, 2006
  10. dreftar

dreftar

THe Monitor audio has a coax digi input and I connect my marantz CD to this then audio output to my HIFI system. I tend not to use the direct Sound output prefering to opt for the output to the Channel of the Monitor Audio that I am using - I have tried kernal streaming but no obvious advantage was found.
    I willhave a look at the ASIO plug ins. Incidentally the sound output from the computer when Linux is used as the operating system appears to be marginally better

dreftar, Feb 4, 2006
  11. dreftar

dreftar

Thankyou I have just downloaded the Asio plugins for a player I haven't tried before and it is quite interesting - It's called Quintessential Player and Im having lots of fun with it?

dreftar, Feb 4, 2006
Ask a Question